Have you lost faith that Zach Wilson could be a franchise QB?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JETFUEL1580, Sep 7, 2022.

?

Have you lost faith that Zach Wilson could be a franchise QB?

1. Yes

25 vote(s)
    29.8%
  2. No

22 vote(s)
    26.2%
  3. Too Early To Tell

37 vote(s)
    44.0%
  1. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

What kind of fan base is going to tolerate hiring somebody who has been fired by the lowly NY Jets????

REVISion likes this.
  2. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

I know people will say its only his 2nd season, but Zach is proving that injuries are having a negative impact on his availability.

The kid missed multiple games last year and here we are once again, he will miss multiple games.

Me personally, next draft I am going just like this:
    O Line
    Safety
    LB
    And yes a QB

Between Becton and his bullshit, Duane Brown all of a sudden is hurt, and of course Zach.

QB's i would consider: I can't remember their names but
    Kentucky QB
    Louisville QB
    Florida QB

Becton's bullshit the last 2 years has left us completely fucked without even a kiss. JD should have had the foresight to see this coming and failed miserably.

Jets79 and abyzmul like this.
  3. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I can't remember his name but I want the franchise QB from some college team.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You make some good points.

For an Oline guy, Joe takes a lot of needless chances on that unit. He has done some really great things, and then you have two separate situations where an offensive lineman disputes the team's handling of their injury and it gets ugly in public.

People can justify it all they want, but those are losses for Joe just like the draft this year looks like a win. You can't just give him the wins unless you're a homer.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. vegaskarl

vegaskarl Well-Known Member

NO. I saw more arm talent with Zach last year than I ever saw with Sam in three years. He needs to get healthy and play.

ColoradoContrails and LAJet like this.
  6. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

great take

I especially hate the argument that we would do better if only we gave people more time…uhm…more time for bad coaches just means more bad teams. The reason teams like Pitt or Balt or NE have continuity and longevity is because those coaches have earned it by being good coaches…

keeping a mediocre coach longer won’t make him a great coach…

people confuse cause and effect all the time

7. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Zach won’t work out. He’s too young to have recurring knee issues for one of the more least athletic positions on the field.

Additionally, he’s not it since he wasn’t going to making a huge jump this year. Zach was minimum 3 year project if you watched him last year.

Jets FO and fanbase won’t have patience for that.

8. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

5 yard fastballs to Moore. lol. Only thing better than Darnold is his release and deep ball. He couldn’t hit anyone medium or short.

9. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

I never had faith he was a FQB. The only thing that gave me hope was Saleh's comment to Zach about lifting him up instead of expecting him to lift the team. I thought maybe just maybe we'd handle things differently, be patient with him, really wanted him to sit all or most of the first year. Instead we threw him out there trial by fire. Idk hasn't really worked great so far and I'm worried we won't get a clear answer on him this year.. but it's still early

Ralebird likes this.
  10. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

What difference does it make? As long as the same people are hiring mediocre or bad coach after mediocre or bad coach, we're going to get the same results, with the added bonus that they get to strip down the roster and playbook and start from scratch every few years.

It makes sense to me that if we can't switch owners, it's at least a little more sane to keep the same mediocre coach around for a long time so they can fill the roster with the players they want and teach them their system.

But I'm sure it's somehow better to just have Woody plucking anybody that kind of looks like they might be good enough. It'll work next time!

11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

That is inherent in "never having faith" without being provided a good reason. Many of us have been waiting for that good reason since even before he was drafted.

The poll question, as written, assumes we all at least had faith in Wilson at one time - not just as a competent QB but as that all elusive franchise quarterback. That is very far removed from reality.

12. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

And I think pretty much everyone here is much more concerned with him ever becoming a good NFL quarterback than an "FQB".

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  13. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Well when Tomlin took over in Pitt the team was 8-8 the year before, 2 seasons removed from the SB and already had a FQB. When Harbaugh took over Balt they had Ray Lewis, Bart Scott, Suggs, Leonhard, Rolle, Reed, Ngata.
    Belichick didn't have that and is maybe why his first 6 seasons as HC his record was 41-55 between Cleveland, before he was fired, and his 1st year in NE, 1 winning season in his first 6.
    Going into the right situation makes it much easier and for some it just takes a few seasons to get their feet under them.

14. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Faith is belief in the absence of proof.

15. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

agree 100% on our shitty know-nothing owners

hard to build a consistently great team when the owners are clueless fucking morons who then listen to the likes of Korn Ferry and Charley Casserly

abyzmul likes this.
  16. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

It does take some coaches a few seasons to get going, but with most of the really good coaches it's immediately obvious that the team improved because of them. McVay, Shanahan, Matt LaFleur, Brandon Staley.

Staley also happened to have the best young QB maybe ever, but he's also clearly very sharp from an analytics perspective. Everyone rags on the Chargers for failed 4th down conversions but they don't take into account all of the games they won because of that aggressiveness than they would've otherwise.

Saleh, meanwhile, took an average Jets defense from the year prior and produced the worst defense in franchise history with it. We went from last in point differential to 2nd to last under Saleh. I really haven't seen much of anything that tells me he's an especially good coach.

I think what happens with Saleh, unfortunately, is he sticks around longer than he should due to likability. We should make LaFleur the head coach if the offense looks good this year, it's the only way we won't lose him to a HC offer from another team.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If the Jets suck this year, I think Saleh will be fired. Some sort of a scapegoat will be needed, and Douglas will try to make Saleh take the fall. If that happens, we'd better hope LaFleur gets made HC because if not, the only one willing to take the job will probably be Matt Rhule.

REVISion likes this.
  18. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Brant Boyer would be my selection if we go in-house. He's in his 7th season in New York and much of this roster has had a seat in his special teams room at some point. He knows their strengths and weaknesses, and they know him, we maintain some continuity. Boyer's special teams groups consistently perform well (ranked #2 last year).

But, let's not get ahead of ourselves.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  19. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Define success. There’s the one who won the Super Bowl… Do rings matter?

Edit: Now that Pederson is in Jax (rebuild, 2nd yr QB) we’ll be able to judge in real time what the right move was.

#119 KingRoach, Sep 10, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2022
  20. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

I hear Adam gase is pretty successful at the high school level.