Duane Brown May Not Play

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Waterboy, Sep 8, 2022.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Yep, resign the guy that was already in the building, cheaper and 6 years younger than Duane Brown. It was an easy move.

Oh well, Moses will be on the other side of the field sunday

Jets79, blackssmagic and REVISion like this.
  2. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Fant at LT, Mitchell at RT. Future is now

I expect struggles, but hopefully he can survive and grow. The rest of the line looks very solid. Biggest concern is chemistry.

Edit: oof looks like he might be up against Calais Campbell. That's a tough draw. Hope he gets plenty of help!..

#42 JetFanInPA, Sep 9, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2022
    KY Jets Fan and Noam like this.
  3. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

Bear in mind that a poor tackle can be helped immensely by a good TE next to him. The TE can chip a charging DE while going out into a pattern or just stay into block if necessary. Conklin in particular has blocked good DEs one on one. When you have a poor starter on the inside of the line (GVR?) that impacts pretty much everything the line does and leaves various holes for interior rushers, especially on stunts, etc. I think Mitchell, with TE help will do OK. I'm not saying that there aren't going to be some growing pains, but, overall, he should do OK.

4. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

It's got to be McDermott at RT if he's healthy enough to play. IMO

5. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

2022 roster: Way too many WRs and DL who can play, and too few OT.

6. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I still think they should have moved their current RG to RT, and played Herbig at RG. Maybe they'll practice that after the Ravens blow them out of the water.

blackssmagic likes this.
  7. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

lol

SOJAZ and Noam like this.
  8. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

What did you expect Saleh to say about Mitchell, he sucks? :D

SOJAZ and REVISion like this.
  9. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

You were right about Mitchell--kudos

10. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

That’s a brilliant idea, fuck with the OL that’s meant to protect the dipshit we used a #2 overall on. In case anyone doesn’t recall, go back to the play that Zach hurt himself on and tell my why he felt he needed to take off. If you use your eyes you’d see it was because Mitchell got blown the fuck up and Zach had to run around it. If you look at the play Zach threw a pick on you’d see Mitchell getting blown up again as well (it wasn’t the reason for the int, but I imagine if Zach took the extra second to find a better option, he’d have been clobbered by Mitchell’s guy).

IDFjet likes this.
  11. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

You seem to be operating under the assumption that Morgan Moses would've taken the same contract to come here/wanted to come back here. Which, to your defense, could be true, however I feel like as soon as Baltimore offered him, he was all but gone. Why come back to New York where I might get a shot at starting on a rebuilding team when I can basically be a guaranteed starter at RT for a team that might actually compete for their division?

Also, that "has been" is fresh off of a Pro Bowl appearance and had only missed 4 games in the last 4 years, all of which happened in 2019. I think the fact that JD had been in conversations with guys like Brown & Riley Reiff before Becton's injury makes me think he knew he needed some additional depth behind Becton and Fant, I don't believe pride came into this situation at all.

To DJ's point that seems to have gone above your head, if ANY NFL team loses 2 of their best OTs, it's gonna get pretty rough.

Here's to hoping they're right about Mitchell.

bicketybam, SOJAZ, Borat and 2 others like this.
  12. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Ya very true--yet Saleh is quoted as saying Mitchell starts so there's that--maybe he will change his mind to McDermott by Sunday.

13. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I expect to see a lot of 12 personnel this Sunday with Uzomah being on that right side a ton to help Max.

FJF likes this.
  14. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I keep hearing Zach makes comments like I am surprised by how passionate Jet fans are, how cray things are here, how fast things change and so on. He has no idea what he got himself into becoming a Jets beat writer.

bicketybam and KY Jets Fan like this.
  15. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

That would be all we need IMO. Just be adequate this week, hopefully we can get Brown back soon but it would be nice to know Max is competent.

16. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

17. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Moses left because Becton was prematurely and undeservedly named the starter at RT. Moses was our starter. He earned the job. The only way he should’ve lost that job is if Becton took it from him. We could have made a very loud statement that the nonsense that Becton was pulling with his weight and weak minded twitter BS is unacceptable, and if he wanted to start he would have to fairly beat out Fant or Moses. He never played RT, he had no business being named starter. We should have paid Moses to be our starter. If Becton beat him out then good for us. We didn’t lose two starters this year. We let one walk for no good reason and the other one is 37 signed off the street. I don’t care what his performance was last year, he’s 37 and was on the free market for a reason. JD played stupid games because his ego wouldn’t let him admit he made a mistake with Becton.

blackssmagic likes this.
  18. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Got a link or a source to this? Otherwise everything you're saying is just as likely as what I said because it is your opinion vs mine.

Also, Becton played RT in college, so he did have experience there. Granted, not at the NFL level but he had played the position before. Plus, Moses signed with the Ravens in March and Becton wasn't named the starter at RT until July so I think your timeline is a little off.

MoWilkBeast, FJF and Noam like this.
  19. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I’m not digging up old articles. It was last year because I was furious when they did it and knew they were going to let Moses walk as a result. I was pissed that it meant that we were probably hedging the Becton failure with Ekwonu or Neal, which on one hand I don’t think a GM should be comfortable replacing a failed pick with a pick that high only 2 years later, but now I realize JD seriously put his eggs in Becton’s basket and now here we are.

blackssmagic likes this.
  20. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Is it you don't want to dig up old articles or is it the old articles you're referencing don't actually exist??

Here you go though...

Article from February 1st titled, "New York Jets' Mekhi Becton will have to compete with George Fant to start at left tackle, coach Robert Saleh says".

Excerpt from the article, "It's the same thing for Mekhi. He has to come in and reassert himself into the starting lineup."

Article from March 15th when the Ravens signed Moses.

Article from July 27th when the Jets named Mekhi the starting RT.

You're probably right though. They JUST wanted him to compete with Fant and didn't feel comfortable having him compete with Morgan Moses. Makes sense.