Have you lost faith that Zach Wilson could be a franchise QB?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JETFUEL1580, Sep 7, 2022.

?

Have you lost faith that Zach Wilson could be a franchise QB?

1. Yes

25 vote(s)
    29.8%
  2. No

22 vote(s)
    26.2%
  3. Too Early To Tell

37 vote(s)
    44.0%
  1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

To me he looked good in camp. Yes he had that bad play in pre season, but so did Joe, a vet with many years experience. It's absolutely too early to even think about doing anything with Wilson. And yes, I dont think is a bust. Far from it. The kind of skills he possesses are premium. He needs a top notch mentor to work with him hand in glove on the mental aspects of the game.

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Not at all. I still think he will be a great QB. My worry now is about his health and staying on the field. All he can do is get that knee back to 100% and hope no other serious injuries occur.

3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Well said, I also think loosing a tremendous QB mentor in that tragic accident had a big impact to his development from a vision and mental control of the game pressures. He is young, eager, talented, hard working, but he needs to stay healthy and play calm and smart.

4. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Too early to tell and no would be the same thing I would think. If you haven't lost faith that he could possibly be the FQB it has to be because it's too early to tell.

5. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

No. If he plays badly again this year it'll become a resounding yes though.

The one thing I am very concerned about is the mounting injuries. Zach was injury prone in college and he's been injury prone in the pros. Hopefully the added weight helps prevent some of them but he needs to learn to slide, go out of bounds, and generally stop playing hero ball.

blackssmagic, SOJAZ and Jets79 like this.
  6. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

No but he needs to improve this year and stay healthy once he starts playing.

Jets79 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  7. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I think he is going to be one of the late bloomers that all of a sudden the light goes on & his talent shines, like Josh Allen who had all the talent in the world but took 3 years to turn into the QB that he is.

8. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Never really felt that he was, just cautious optimism, hoping that I was wrong..... still hope I am.

9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Kid needs to play. All the talent in the world is meaningless if its never utilized. ZW is brittle. No hate, just fact. He has the heart of a lion but always seems to get injured out of nowhere. Availablity is more important than talent. Zach has to show the FO/CS that he can be counted on for a full season. Hasn't happened so far and that's why I think 2023 will be Zach's last stand as a starting QB for the Jets.

blackssmagic and SOJAZ like this.
  10. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Couple points

- Lamar isn’t going anywhere…they will sign him or franchise tag him…I doubt they’d even consider trading him
    - Zach will get year 3…he’s the second overall pick…too high an investment to jettison him this early
    - I like how KY set it out above and I pretty much agree with that assessment…if he shits the bed this year and doesn’t look much better than last year I’m guessing they bring in a vet to start, unless we’re so bad that we have the first or second pick and draft a hot QB prospect but that seems unlikely

SOJAZ and KY Jets Fan like this.
  11. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

12. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

He showed signs toward the end of the season last year, but, when it comes to Jets QB"s, I'm a glass half-empty type of guy. However, too early to tell. He obviously needs to stay healthy or we'll never know.

Noam likes this.
  13. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I hear you my friend. But I am fickle. I go to Metlife every week. If I see Zach struggling again, throwin INT's left and right, I will say NO. But for now, I can't say NO because I still don't have a full decision on him.

14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Allen took 3 years to become elite, but he was good by year 2. If Zach isn't at least a top 20 QB this year, the Allen comparisons will no longer apply.

blackssmagic, Jets79 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  15. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

The smart thing to do, assuming Zach plays badly again this year, would be to draft another QB high in the draft next year. The odds of a QB ever being good when his first two seasons were bad are very slim.

Having said that, we're the Jets and almost never think outside the box so we'll probably not draft a QB and send Zach out there again even if he plays badly this year. It'll be the exact same mistake we made with Darnold.

16. K'OB

The honest truth of the situation is...

He obviously has something but he also was awful at times, I can't forget hitting WR's feet from 5 yards on more than one occasion, the rocket throws to WR's 3 yards away giving them no hope to catch it but he still looked like he had something.

That something needs to become the overriding feature this season, he needs to deliver the simple stuff, the 5 yard throws need to be hitting the target at a high percentage and then the flashy stuff can follow when the game slows down for him.

I hope he can do it because if he fails we are then miles from being the team we all want to be.

CotcheryFan and Jets79 like this.
  17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I don’t understand why an opinion would have changed this week. Half the qbs in the league miss time every year.

18. K'OB

Coz he is gonna miss 3 or 4 games, this is now putting him on the cusp of being a bust.

/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s or maybe not?

19. LuvThosePats

LuvThosePats New Member

I've read this several times. Who is this unicorn "established successful veteran" QB who's out there looking for a team to sign with? This person does not exist.

westiedog1 likes this.
  20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

One year (and even him missing 3 games in the second) is not enough to evaluate the guy as simple as that. That's why we need him to play this year. We need to find out for sure either way. I think he will be good, but if not, we need to know. This poll would be perfect after this season concludes, not before it even started.

HomeoftheJets and REVISion like this.