Have you lost faith that Zach Wilson could be a franchise QB?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JETFUEL1580, Sep 7, 2022.

?

Have you lost faith that Zach Wilson could be a franchise QB?

1. Yes

25 vote(s)
    29.8%
  2. No

22 vote(s)
    26.2%
  3. Too Early To Tell

37 vote(s)
    44.0%
  1. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

I'm not even at this point saying it's the right move. But it's the most likely. With the news of his extended recovery today, I know the" FU Zack crew" are not necessarily loving this, but more of the I told you so narrative. Fact is, Joe D is not gonna get fired if this season tanks. Saleh on the other hand will. Z Wilson is not gonna get dumped either. Name me a 2nd overall pick that didn't get at least three years? Zach Wilson is connected with Joe D plain and simple. Don't fool yourself in thinking anything else. I know there is a few big name college QB's coming out in the next draft. I just don't see the Jets giving up on Zach after this season. They'll bring in another coach before that happens.

papapump, westiedog1 and Frenbar like this.
  2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Well, if Zach manages to put in some work on the field, his 3rd year might tell us something about if he'll ever become a FQB. Right now, the only thing ZW has shown is that he's brittle and needs to be protected much better than we have so far. If he continues to annually miss significant time, they perhaps will consider a need to go in a different direction at some point in the very near future. Its gonna be up to ZW though. He has to stay on the field which is something he has problems doing. If by some stroke of luck ZW manages to get on the field, he's gonna have to show more than minimal improvements while at the same time, making the same mistakes.

3. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Not singling you out here but what is with this provocative thread title movement on the main forum?

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I agree. Sam Darnold got a third year. He saw ghosts in his second year. Let's hope Zach doesn't see any ghosts.

Poeman, JETFUEL1580 and Brook! like this.
  5. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Even if doesn’t come back til week 4, he can still play 13 games. We should know what we need to know by the end of the season.

SOJAZ, Jojo, KY Jets Fan and 5 others like this.
  6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Exactly.. He has to play significant time this year or the question that should have been answered in Year 1 will carry over to Year 3.

blackssmagic, Jojo, papapump and 2 others like this.
  7. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

And more than 13 when the Jets make the playoffs.

8. JETFUEL1580

Nothing provocative at all. I think some and I have seen posts previously declaring that if Zach doesn't make significant improvements this season that the Jets will look to another QB in the draft. In light of his extended injury status and the fact that we wont see him for a full season. I'm just pointing out the obvious. He's not going anywhere unless the GM is gone which I don't believe will happen.

9. JETFUEL1580

Yes, that should be enough of a sample size IMO. If he even shows a bit of improvement he's gonna be here for another season. Which I hope he does.

10. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

11. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

If he barely improves or is just as bad as he was last year, he shouldn't. Or at least should have serious competition going into year 3.

12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Either Zach shows a lot and cements his spot at qb
    Or he’s meh and he’ll be in a competition with some vet next year
    Or he and the team are complete shit and we’re turning over the whole regime…….. again.
    I’d bet on qb competition next year

13. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

Zero chance he is cut after this year no matter how badly he plays, whether we like it or not.

Brook!, KY Jets Fan, Cman68 and 2 others like this.
  14. JETFUEL1580

I agree completely. I believe Saleh is in serious trouble this year. If this team doesn't win at least 6 games, or show absolutely no fight and look overmatched, he'll be history.

15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

It will be such a relief when the season starts and we can convert a bunch of ifs to something more tangible, be it good, bad or indifferent. At least it will be factual.

jixxjr, Brook!, bicketybam and 6 others like this.
  16. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

I disagree that even Saleh would be fired. I think in the case of a bad year everyone starts 2023 on the hot seat, but for better or worse I think they get the benefit of the doubt

PJ4Ever, Jets79 and Noam like this.
  17. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I doubt Wilson will get another contract with the jets, absent a remarkable turnaround. Oh yeah, he will be here in one way or another for 4 years. But he hasn't shown squat yet, is too short, is fragile, and he looks young enough to be the son of some of the players. Looks like a kid who is more comfortable laughing it up about his love life or his mother's love life. Nothing personal, but Zach does not strike me as a leader of men who would chew somebody's butt on the sideline for a missed assignment. Oh yeah, ouchy sojaz and I all thought before he was drafted that he might be a reach. Hope I'm wrong, hope he comes back and is all pro, but so far hasn't shown much or stayed on the field very long..

blackssmagic and JETFUEL1580 like this.
  18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

That would be unbelievably stupid, but the Jets are unbelievably stupid, so it'll probably happen that way.

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  19. JETFUEL1580

Brother, as far as another contract that's at least another couple years if so lucky. I saw another thread on this board stating that if Z Wilson doesn't work out are the Jets gonna draft C.J Stroud, or Bryce Young. Or whoever the next out of left field QB that no one saw coming who becomes a top ten pick ala Zach Wilson lol. My point again is those particular individuals need to realize that outside of a career threatening injury, or Zach is so bad that he made Sam Darnold look a prime Ken O'Brien. The Jets ain't drafting another top QB. He's coming back as the potential starter with a veteran that will actually push him. Not a Flacco type. Jets won't draft another young QB with Zach on the roster period.

#19 JETFUEL1580, Sep 8, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
    ColoradoContrails, tomdeb and Cman68 like this.
  20. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Exactly. Year three is relatively cheap as it's built into the rookie deal but that doesn't mean a legitimate competitor for the position cannot be brought in. The only way you do not go after a top prospect in the draft is if you've already seen steady positive signs that the guy you have is making significant progress towards being what you hoped he was going to be.