For the JD critics.....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Sep 3, 2022.

1. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

We've got AVT, Becton, and Mitchell as our young guys with potential.

Tomlinson and Fant both just turned 30 and CMG just turned 29 so it's not like any of them are about to retire. Each of them have a good 2-3+ years worth of quality play left IMO.

Having said all that, I fully expect JD to draft an OT on Day 1 or 2 in this upcoming draft. Gone are the days where Becton is penciled in as a starter at either OT position.

2. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

It is really hard to differentiate as there are so many reactionary posts based off emotion not logic or evidence. It really is a truly ignorant American problem where we somehow feel that everyone should express their opinion on every subject despite their lack of knowledge. A critical thinking crisis where people simply have not learned how to critically think and make reasoned evidence based arguments. I am so much more impressed by people that say they do not know something, that they might be or are wrong or that are willing to consider different possibilities. Instead we have a number of people that just post with only one possibility that JD sucks, Zach sucks and the Jets sucks. The only thing that varies with each post is how they get to that conclusion. But make no mistake that will always be their conclusion. It would be nice if we had a subset of the forum for the JD sucks, Zach sucks and the Jets sucks so these posters could post there heart out there while the rest of us could actually have discussions which involves considering all possibilities good and bad occurring without constantly being derailed by irrational posts.

3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Potential basically means you haven't done it yet and the entire roster has it. JD so far has done well to put talent on the roster but, talent on the roster has to translate into wins on the field or its just another feel good story.

4. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

That's kinda the deal when you're committed to "building through the draft" which is what this FO/CS has said ad nauseam for the last couple of years.

We've got talent and potential all over this roster now which is something we didn't have back in 2019 when JD took over.

Now all we need are some of these guys to take that step and become good-great players and the wins will come.

Borat, KingRoach, SOJAZ and 2 others like this.
  5. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah…I’m not banking ANYTHING on Becton, including him even making the roster…guy has missed way too many games…unfortunately he’s just not able to stay on the field either due to freak injuries or just he’s too big and his knees will never hold up or due to whatever else is going on. Either way, he can’t be counted on to start.

As I look back on it though, I think our OL should be at least middle of the pack if not slightly better as long as we don’t lose starters to injury. But honestly, for a guy who preaches the draft and the trenches, we’ve got exactly one highly drafted OL playing in year 3 of JDs tenure. And yes I get Becton got hurt otherwise he’d be the second guy but I do lay that blame on JD because after last year there was NO WAY that we should’ve been counting on Becton starting for 17 games. I don’t know who of our three first round picks I’d give up (probably JJ because shit we have like 85 other DL on our roster), but I think we should’ve used a first rounder on a tackle. We’ll see…maybe all of the first round tackles will turn out to suck and JD will look smarter than me, but right now we could use help at OT.

But regardless of this one move that wasn’t made, we got a good fall back in Brown. But still, I can’t help but feel that after three years with lots of high draft picks and lots of free agency dollars spent, our OL should be better than it looks to be. We have average tackles, good to great guards, and an average center. We’ve spent middle of the road free agent dollars until signing Tomlinson this year…AVT looks to be solid and hopefully better as he matures, Becton is turning out to be a bust due to injury (not blaming JD for the draft pick as he didn’t have an injury history in college as far as I know), but definitely blaming JD for not addressing the injury risk more proactively than drafting a fourth round developmental guy and signing a 37 year old starter a couple weeks before the season. Could’ve and should’ve done better.

The main thing though will come down to Zach….if he develops we’ll be all right…if not, well at least we should have a good roster where we can plug in a decent QB and be competitive. I’m definitely not as high on Zach as others…I see potential but I saw way too many flaws and inconsistencies with throws that should be automatic, and for all the supposed improvements after he came back from injury, his stats did not actually look any better than before he got hurt outside of the no picks, which was really reflective of just a conservative approach…completion rate, yards per game, yards per attempt were all similar to before the injury and bottom of the league. We’ll see. He has a real NFL supporting cast now so hopefully that will translate…hopefully it does.

Overall those are my two biggest criticisms of JDs tenure so far. That first draft is also brutal but I’ll give the benefit of the doubt due to Covid, first draft, and different coaching staff and system, as we now have two drafts under more normal conditions with a new coach that seem way more viable.

Also, it looks like he learned from that 2020 draft….he played it cute in that 2020 draft by trading down and passed on some good receivers and ended up with Mims….looks like he learned his lesson and decided to follow his gut and his assessment, as evidenced by his trade ups for AVT and for Breece Hall….it’s like he decided he wasn’t going to get too cute and miss out on highly rated prospects….

So I have hope for his continued improvement in drafting, though we’ll see how good it looks when he’s not playing with multiple first round picks…that gravy train can’t last forever.

And his trades have been very astute…he’s seemed to get back more than would’ve been expected in most cases….the total and complete opposite of old time Terry Bradway for those who remember him..he got punked on every single trade he made and it was never even close. God awful.

6. Cman68

None of this potential will become realized unless we have the CS in place that can develop it. Saleh & Co. so far are a great feel good story but on the field, the story just isn't that good. JD has stocked the roster but so far, it hasn't translated into wins. Rebuilding thru the draft takes as long as the talent needs to come together. Rebuilding thru the draft also comes with a time limit. I would say 2022 is more important to Saleh than it is to JD. Pressure is on to show improvement. Cimini was right today.. The Honeymoon is over.. Time for this team to show us what's up. Slogans and jingles won't cut it anymore..

7. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yup…I’m not sure we’re going to have a ton more wins based on our schedule, but we absolutely need to be competitive…there was a great post that showed our scores going into the fourth quarter for all our games and it was pitiful…that can’t happen again.

we need to be competitive, and we can’t go 0 for the division for a third year in a row…that’s unacceptable…

I think we need to show say 6-7 wins, no more than one or two blowouts, and at least be competitive in our losses…

8. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

Yep. Doesn't matter how many great picks you make if the most important one (QB) can't play.
    Anyway, I'm just drumming my fingers waiting to see the actual results.

9. cval

cval Well-Known Member

You do realize he has only coached one season correct? He doubled the win total of the previous regime with the youngest roster in the league.

WilsonJetsFan and SOJAZ like this.
  10. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

These are all fair.

JD is not above criticism, he has made mistakes in his brief tenure as Jets GM.

What I don't understand is how polarizing he is right now. It's like all Jets fans either think he's God or he's the 2nd coming of John Idzik.

I think we can all say definitively that he's nowhere near the level of Idzik or Mac but he's definitely not the best GM in the history of the organization.

PJ4Ever, papapump and Jets79 like this.
  11. cval

cval Well-Known Member

He does seem competent and people forget the level of incompetence we had prior. That is why I do not get vitriol. He is the best we have had in quite a while without argument IMHO.

12. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Saleh has only had 1 season with a not particularly inspiring roster. I'm not saying Saleh will be Belichick but can we give him more than 17 games before deciding he is or isn't a bust?

I do agree that Saleh has, rightfully so, more pressure on him for this team to perform. JD has given this CS more to work with than any other CS in over a decade. Time to put up or shut up for Saleh, LaFleur, Ulbrich, etc.

Borat, PJ4Ever, Jets79 and 2 others like this.
  13. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I don't think going from 2 wins to 4 with an extra game on the schedule is as good as would be implied by just stating we "doubled" our wins.

We went from 2nd worst team in terms of W-L in 2020 to tied for 2nd worst team in terms of W-L in 2021. If we go by point differential, which is proven to be more predictive of subsequent performance than W-L, we went from worst in 2020 to 2nd worst in 2021.

PJ4Ever, jilozzo and Cman68 like this.
  14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Very fair and spot on assessment in my view. Couldn't agree more. Serious improvement and competitiveness is expected for the Jets by the fans this year and should be so demanded by the leadership. We must demonstrate in 2022 we belong in this llegue and can compete with the rest on fairly equal ground. No more gimmies. No more one sided embarrassing losses, and no more knowing we are doomed after a horrific first half where we are clearly outcoached and outplayed..
    I expect more close games with a decent chance to win a good portion of them. The spot light is on the CS in my opinion. JD has done plenty to make us better. Now prove it.

15. Cman68

And he'll have to show even more improvement this year. Going from 2 wins to 4 wins doesn't rate a parade down Broadway. We've heard all the excuses before and maybe it USED to be valid. JD has infused a lot of Veteran talent so we expect a better team on the field. If this team remains non-competitive this year, then you have to look at Saleh and his staff. The honeymoon is indeed over. Time to show us what's up with his team.

#155 Cman68, Sep 6, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2022
  16. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

Well, 60% is 10 wins, isn't it?

17. Cman68

Saleh has to show something this year.. JD held up his end by bringing in veteran talent and drafting new young talent to compliment it. Saleh and in particular, Ulbrich, need to produce quality, competitive play. LeFleur can still ride the injured Wilson scenario another year but come 2023, The spotlight will be squarely on the results on the field. No more slogans. Time to play competitive NFL football. And going from 4 wins to 5 wins still doesn't rate a parade down Broadway.

18. cval

cval Well-Known Member

How about we play the first game before making ultimatums? We are undefeated enjoy. NFL football starts this week smile.

19. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

That's a lot of "ifs" in one sentence. Here's one for you - if you want to address those who are looking to fire Douglas why not respond to them? It's nothing I've proposed, but it certainly is a Douglas cross to bear. One more thing - you may have wanted Saleh as coach but for you to say that 99% of the fans did is ridiculous. You could look up all the conversations here from that period to get a much more accurate picture.

20. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

I'll say it again... no execuses, win. Get the team read to play a FULL 60 minutes. Be able to execut the scheme. Play physical. And for God sake being competitive.