For the JD critics.....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Sep 3, 2022.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The thing to realize though is that she's a bigger deal in the fashion world than Brady is in the sports world.

We think of Brady as being the most recognizable influential athlete in the world but outside the USA people just don't care.

2. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Closet Bills fans.[​IMG]

KingRoach likes this.
  3. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

TLDR, I'm a retarded Bills fan that vanished last time the Bills and Jets faced each other because I was genuinely scared they were going to lose the game. Like the twot I am I started talking crap like I knew Bills would win once the game was decided at the end of the 4th.

Edit: sorry that was actually BuffaloBills06.

Sorry, not sorry

#123 JackBower, Sep 5, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
    KingRoach likes this.
  4. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

agree but I would add Becton as the biggest fail after that 2020 draft…I was ok with the pick as we needed a LT…I get all the hindsight comments about taking Wirfs (who I liked also especially as Iow just seems to breed OL), but Wirfs was a RT and we needed an LT. Not gonna blame JD for the Becton pick but once I saw him miss time with nagging injuries as a rookie and then watched him miss all year for an injury that nobody was saying was season ending, then not being at the facility to rehab like a mofo I was done with him. To me, JD should have addresses LT in round 1 this past draft and we could ALL see this shit coming…I thought there was no way in hell Becton would make it through 17 games, but shit I overestimated him…he didn’t even make it out of camp. Guys not a reliable option and that’s not hindsight it was painfully obvious. So to me this was JDs biggest whiff.

2020 draft is looking more and more like an epic fail, but I’ll acknowledge Covid was tough, he was a first time GM, and it was for a different coaching staff and different system. Still shouldn’t have been this bad but for basically the entire draft to fail three years in is really inexcusable.

to me those are the two biggest issues I have with JD.

I do think he’s done more good than bad…his trades have been great. He has managed the cap well. Last two drafts look much better than the first one.

so hopefully it’s nothing but up from here

PJ4Ever, KY Jets Fan and tomdeb like this.
  5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Thank you for detailed post, and there are a lot of good points there. JD clearly made mistakes and was not perfect. However, the analysis are very one sided against JD. For example, this statement: "I consider this last draft great, but I don’t give JD credit for it... If you credit him for picking those players, then I also must be the best GM in the world since we would’ve made the same choices." By your own statement, after Sauce, you pick JJ. That means you miss out on 1st round WR. JD goth BOTH. That is a pretty huge deal. You probably pick best available WR in the second round, since we still need one, and end up missing out on Breece Hall, who goes to Texans a pick earlier. JD traded up for him too. So, no, you didn't make the same choices, and JD does get credit for what he did in the draft.

Another example is AVT. You blast him for taking him so high, and say you can find starting Gs anywhere, and yet in this 2022 draft AFTER JD picked AVT a year ago, not one, but two teams top 17 select Guards. If anything, this shows AVT's selection was around the right area as he is just as high or higher regarded than Green and Zion. Also, if you watched last year, GVR's replacement by LDT resulted in big upgrade of overall OL performance. JD also didn't give up 2nd and 3d rounder rounder for AVT. They gave up two 3ds, and got back 4th. Btw they later converted that 4th into Brendin Echols, while Minny waived Mond and Davis, both guys they ended up getting. So, no, AVT does not need to become HOFer for this trade not to be terrible.

And that's really the narrative of your post: you are quick to slander JD in a major way for anything that wasn't perfect, but at the same time do not give any credit or enough credit where he did some good things. I think there was a lot more good than bad, though mistakes were made. To me it's a fair expectation to have two years to turn entire roster around, including coaches. However, now results need to show this year. JD is not beyond criticism, and this team needs to play meaningful games later in the year. If they stink again, JD should rightfully be on the hot seat. We will need to wait and see though, I think it will not be Same Old Jets this year.

bicketybam, KY Jets Fan and KingRoach like this.
  6. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

A few things to clarify:

-I can’t do mock trades, I have to select at the slot where the team is.
    -did either of those 2 teams who picked guards this year trade an almost 2nd rounder and third rounder to do it? Also, the chargers roster is LOADED.
    -I gave JD plenty of credit where it’s due. The Adams trade was great. The Herndon trade was great. I think this past draft will turn out really really well. But those 3 good things don’t do justice to the years of bad decisions and malfeasance. They certainly don’t “outweigh” it, as you claim. If he hits on that last draft he probably saves himself, and he’ll be lucky to do so.

7. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

As much as I hate his nick, "Bills Over Jets" has been a reasonable and thoughtful poster here (unlike some others who wander in just to shit on our team). His views also offer some insight on how the Jets are viewed by fans around the league, whether we like it or not.
    I make my home in South Carolina now, and while pro sports takes a back burner to college athletics on local sports radio, whenever NFL talk comes up, the Jets are always viewed and portrayed as laughing stocks. That narrative will only change with wins, regardless of how great our offseason looks on paper.

Sec124DieHard and Jets79 like this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The time for talking is coming to a close. We'll see soon enough whether Douglas has built the basis for a sustainable winning team going forward. Their record may not be much better - I think 6 wins is realistic - but they should be competitive in most games. And I need to see Saleh make adjustments accordingly if things aren't working, specifically on "D". We can't have a defense playing like last year. And of course Zach has to step up and show he can be the FQB they drafted him to be. That means not making stupid decisions and staying healthy.

JD may not have done everything right, but he DOES have a blueprint he's building to, and I have faith in that approach.

Borat, SOJAZ, JetFanInPA and 5 others like this.
  9. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Maybe he’s only seemed reasonable bc he doesn’t post that much….

His complaints against JD include not signing Robbie Anderson to a big contract and drafting a LT and WR for the HC and QB he was given.

I’m all for a grade of INC or TBD but the perceived strikes against JD are laughable.

cval and KY Jets Fan like this.
  10. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

We were told that the blueprint was "build from the trenches", and we are one injury away from our OL being a disaster.
    It takes weeks for an Oline to gel and continuity is more important there than any position group, yet our entire left side is now the right side, and two brand new (to our scheme) guys are protecting our QBs blindside. One of whom is 37 years old. They've played maybe a dozen snaps together.
    Adding LDT helped stabilize the line last year and Moses was a great addition. Did anyone here really expect that we'd just let them walk? I didn't. Heck, in post season interviews LDT sounded excited and all-in as part of the rebuild. We heard nothing in the off season about either of these guys even getting an offer from the Jets. So much for continuity.
    Br4d took a lot of heat for bringing this up a few weeks ago, and while I don't agree with everything he posts, he was dead on in the way the Oline has been mishandled.

IDFjet likes this.
  11. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If he loads up on real talent, sure. If he loads up on trash that TGG thinks is talent, no.

Cman68 likes this.
  12. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Perhaps JD is creating an enigma. Something that's never been done before in sports. Joe Douglas is creating the most talented roster to never win another football game. Ever.

Maybe that's part of the Namath Curse. Perhaps JD is the devil himself, and he's actually enjoys the pain he brings to his 'fans'.

SOJAZ and Nyjets4eva like this.
  13. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I'm not sure if you realize this but almost every single OL unit in the league is one injury away from being a disaster. We've seen recently how 1 guy (looking at you GVR) can almost single-handedly destroy an entire unit.

Is everyone forgetting the fact that JD added 2 Pro-Bowlers to this OL THIS offseason? Granted Duane Brown was an alternate but he still made it. I feel like some are acting like he let Moses and LDT walk (do a little research on LDT and you'll see why he didn't return to the Jets, Spoiler Alert: he didn't return to football at all this year) and got a couple of bums back.

Brown>Fant
    Tomlinson>AVT
    McG=McG
    AVT>LDT
    Fant=Moses

What am I missing? I feel like we upgraded at every position on the line this year with the exception of C and maybe RT (I would give a slight edge to Fant tbh). On top of that, I don't hate our depth for what it is. Mitchell is clearly a developmental guy but if they're keeping him over Edoga and McDermott (I know McDermott is back but they kept him initially) clearly they like where he is at this point. Herbig and Feeny are capable IOL back-ups, don't feel great about them being full-time starters but if they need to fill in for 3-4-5 games? I'm fine with it, we've done a lot worse before.

Brown was on the table before Becton's injury too so I don't agree with the notion that JD put a little too much faith in Becton this offseason. Brown was probably waiting for exactly what happened with us (starting OT goes down during TC) so he could get a shot at being a starter somewhere. However, they were clearly interested in getting another quality back-up OT.

JD has not been perfect as our GM but this fixation around him and our OL is baffling to me.

Borat, PJ4Ever, JetFanInPA and 3 others like this.
  14. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I for one think letting Moses walk 3yr/15mm was very short sighted. Thus far it has forced nyj into bringing in Brown and now we got the Conor McDerm thing.

Now maybe Morgan didn't want to be here--I have no knowledge of that.

I also happen to think that McGov could have been improved upon and 9MM cap hit is a lot for what he's been bringing. IMO

Overall the OL remains a troublesome aspect of the team along with QB.

15. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Moses wanted to start. We drafted a developmental RT. The writing is on the wall. We weren’t prepared to give MM what he wanted.

Moses made the right call for Moses.

Borat, tomdeb, KY Jets Fan and 2 others like this.
  16. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

If the Jets didn't match/exceed Baltimore's offer to Moses, I agree with you but I have no way of knowing that directly. Like you said, maybe he didn't want to be here any more and Baltimore offered him a solid deal with a good shot at a starting job and he took it. Can't fault anyone in that scenario.

Who was an obvious upgrade to CMG this year? Karras? Are you saying you would've wanted JD to draft Linderbaum this year and pass on one of JJ or Breece?

I don't see where an obvious upgrade to CMG was this offseason but I also happen to think that CMG is a solid C.

On paper, this is a league average OL with the potential to be above average IMO. Barring injuries, I don't see where the troublesome aspect of this OL is THIS year. Obviously the future is a different story considering we're starting a 37 year old and a 30 year old at OT.

#136 KY Jets Fan, Sep 6, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2022
  17. cval

cval Well-Known Member

People are acting like Moses is an all-pro. Fant beat out Moses at Right tackle last season. LDT is not even playing football. People just talk out of their ass and then wonder why we question if they are Jets fans.

18. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Now that we have 7 pages of back and forth on what JD has done, good or bad, we should discuss what our expectations are going forward, and what the minimum threshold of “success” we expect based on where we are today. For me it’s as follows:

Duane Brown and Fant must stay healthy all year and play at a very high level. If either gets hurt then Max Mitchell better turn out to be the steal of the draft. If I’m watching any Jets QB running for his life because of poor OT play I’m done with Douglas. He stubbornly ignored every obvious red flag Becton was throwing and missed an opportunity to pay Moses less than Brown and keep him at RT by declaring him the starter and making the job his to lose. If Becton beat him for the job then he’s getting paid starter money to be the best backup OT in the league. They should have never declared Becton the starter at RT or anywhere. You don’t coddle guys like Becton. Becton was the guy they should’ve been treating the way they treat Mims. And if they knew Moses wasn’t going to stay then the draft needed to emphasize protecting the QB, not covering a WR. No offense to Sauce who I’m sure will be a nice player.

Zach Wilson can’t bust. We sucked last year and Zach looked mostly awful. JD traded Sam away (yes Sam is not that good either), and used his most valuable chip to take Wilson. There was a ton of talk about trading out of 2 overall, and Wilson was by no means a blue chip prospect. We were so deficient at so many positions, JD could have used that capital to accumulate high value picks in 2021 and 2022 and really built up a solid team that could be fronted by a mid-level competent FA QB, and look to draft a QB in 2023 that could step into a much more competent team to find success. Sam Darnold sucked, Zach Wilson sucks, but neither were given any help from the roster they were working with. JD planted his flag with Wilson. He lives or dies with him.

No more losing seasons. I’m tired of it. JD has his QB, his coaching staff, and this is now his roster. CIN went to a SB in Burrow’s second year when they perpetually sucked up to that point. JD has arrogantly announced Zach as if he were just as good a prospect as Burrow. He anointed Zach a starter even though Zach never saw anything remotely close to NFL caliber competition, and put him behind a hapless OL that he continues to throw old, overpriced, has been vets at. He needs to live by his reckless gamble. I’m not demanding playoffs, but we need .500 or better. Enough is enough.

The 2022 draft needs to turn out this year. I expect at least 2 of them to be ROY candidates and at least 4 to become, at minimum, consistent quality NFL players. Another draft like 2020 or 2021 and he’s gotta go.

19. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Can we nominate this as one of the worst posts in TGG history? [​IMG]

20. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Regarding Center-- yes, I did want Linderbaum but he went too early and I agree it wasn't an easy find to get a starting center thru FA--wasn't Bradley Bozeman available for a time--i think a couple others too (Jensen, Brian Allen) but not a lot of value.

Maybe JD's hands were tied with McG but he put himself in that situation. For next year we're looking at even more trouble as we have no youth coming into their own. Its a problem.

Maybe the time to address the C was in the 2021 draft with Creed--a lot of guys including me thought he'd be a good investment.