For the JD critics.....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Sep 3, 2022.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

No. Not equal at all. NFL records show Joe Douglas is the worst performing General Manager the Jets have had in a quarter century. If you believe that should put him above criticism I can only disagree with you as I have with the OP.

2. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Rings is what determines success in the NFL and JD has as many as any Jets GM.

If you can’t tell the roster hasn’t improved, you don’t know football.

If you don’t know there are 0 games that matter played in August, you don’t know football.

Feel free to rain down the shit if the Jets start slow but until they lose a game can you at least pretend to root for the Jets?

bicketybam, LAJet and Noam like this.
  3. Ralebird

Are you not aware that the General Manager hired the coaching staff and is responsible for their performance? Joe Douglas is the Harry Truman of the New York Jets; if the coaching staff has failed it's on him.

[​IMG]

NYJetsO12 and SOJAZ like this.
  4. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

JD’s first draft is rough and the only saving grace, which would only partially excuse it, is that there was a coaching change and some of them didn’t fit.

Putting all his eggs in the Becton basket this off-season I didn’t agree with, although I’m not sure who else we could have gotten under the guise of, “you’ll only if there’s an injury” that’s substantially better than what we have. And the Saleh scheme that relies on all pros, doesn’t exactly elicit awe.

Additinally, I read an article saying JD was among the least trusted gm’s as he doesn’t call ppl back. That said, this might be an institutional issue, as Jason Fitzgerald has has previously intimated this might be Woody related and has carried over multiple GM’s.

BUT, I believe we had 7 guys claimed that we cut, and the talent appears to be better now than it was. The past 2 drafts + a few UDFA’s are promising (so far). So I think he appears to ID talent well enough, at least for me.

So yeah, his record ain’t no good, but given that this was a complete tear down I don’t necessarily fault him. This year will be a big one, but I’m
    Bullish on JD (he’ll have another draft) and I look forward to seeing what the next offseason will bring as I think (hope/pray) that we’re one more similar off-season like this one away from doing real damage.

Jets79 and Lon Chaney like this.
  5. Ralebird

Are you forgetting that Joe Douglas did not become Jets GM six months ago? He has been General Manager since June 2019, 39 months, his record is 13 - 36. If you don't understand wins and losses is the only thing that matters in the National Football League, you don't know football.

Bellys Lies likes this.
  6. KingRoach

No, I’m not forgetting that. I’m also not forgetting that you can’t turn over a roster in a year or even two.

I am surprised you doubled downed on wins being more important that rings. We will have to agree to disagree on that one.

bicketybam and Nyjets4eva like this.
  7. Ralebird

Absolutely wins are more important than rings. In the entire NFL only one set of rings is handed out each year while each team gets a minimum of seventeen chances to get a win. The losing team in the Superbowl is more successful than thirty other teams. I could stand a few years of such failure.

SOJAZ likes this.
  8. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

This is my take on JD.

His first draft it was Covid with very little film and he was a rookie. That draft was an absolute abomination and I’m sure there are numerous picks he would like back.

His second draft was much better with the big question. Is Wilson a FQB? If yes he hit a home run. If No that’s a big miss again in the first round.

His third draft looks to be one of the best in Jets history. Time will tell but the promise is looking very good.

His cap management has been excellent.

His roster management besides the Mims situation has been excellent.

His trades have gotten more than market value and have been excellent.

His choice of coaching staff is yet to be determined. I think Salah is a good person and players respond well to that but his rookie performance was terrible as a defensive guru. Teams ran it down our throats every week and our offence only showed flashes with a rookie OC.

All in all I’d give JD a B-

Jojo, JETFUEL1580, bicketybam and 3 others like this.
  9. Jeff M

Jeff M Well-Known Member

It appears that Joe has put together an overall roster that is capable of showing improvement.

that being said, in constructing a football team IMHO, the two most important pieces are HC and QB.

I am high on both Zach and saleh, but the fact is that both are unproven.

you can’t go strictly by wins at this stage of a rebuild.

The goals for this season need to be:

1. Zach makes a jump to at least a mid level QB.

2. Saleh proves he can coach guys up and create a winning attitude.

3. the team plays competitively in almost all games, yeah there might be a clunker or two, but no more than that should be acceptable.

4. the win total goes up. I think 7 or 8 would represent a nice jump.

Jets79, Noam, Stevied and 1 other person like this.
  10. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

There's no way anyone sould be including the 2019 season into JD's record as GM. That's just dumb.

Jets79, LAJet and HomeoftheJets like this.
  11. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

I don't know how you can argue with this reply. His 1st draft class alone is an abject disaster. It added at least 1 more year to a rebuild that has yet to show any signs of working.

That said, I'm rooting hard for Joe D. to succeed and Zach to be that stud QB that leads us back to the playoffs. Though at this point I would settle for competent football week in and week out.

12. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

The roster has turned over. It is yet to be determined if it has improved.

13. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

exactly!!

Jets-N-Terps likes this.
  14. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

W/L is a great way to measure progress but likely before we'll see an improvement here, we should see an increase in competitive games up to the 4th q. Last year we were down by 7 points or more entering the 4th in 10/17 games. A good season of progress would see us reduce this stat to 2 or 3.

2021 games entering 4th q:
    1. Panthers -8
    2. Pats -19
    3. Broncos -20
    4. Titans +1
    5. Falcons -11
    6. Pats -21
    7. Bengals -7
    8. Colts -26
    9. Bills -35
    10. Dolphins 0 (tied)
    11. Texans +4
    12. Eagles -9
    13. Saints -7
    14. Dolphins 0 (tied)
    15. Jags +1
    16. Bucs +7
    17. Bills -3

As can be seen from week 10 to week 17 there was a noticeable improvement in competitiveness which is a coaching staff positive imo.

Borat, Attackett, Jets79 and 4 others like this.
  15. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

To all those that are bothered by my words in the title of this thread....

I want to make you feel better and I am eternally apologetic. ALL the cookies and milk are on me. YOU deserve it. I'm so sorry I hurt all your feelings. PLEASE give me a chance to make it up to you? I mean this from the bottom of my heart. And if you need a kiss and a hug I'm here for you....

#95 NYJ1970, Sep 5, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
  16. KingRoach

Thank you for proving my point.

I guess you need proof that Sauce is better than Darry Roberts or that AVT is better than Brian Winters and I respect that. Idk if the Yankees Chase Adams is better than Anthony Rizzo bc I don’t know baseball.

bicketybam and Lon Chaney like this.
  17. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I would just settle for you to stfu

18. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

If it was impolite for me to say that to you, then it's the same in reverse. You have no right to speak to me that way. My feelings are hurt now. We need to stop this vicious cycle of divisiveness and rhetoric. But my original, very heartfelt apology still stands....

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Soft.

SOJAZ likes this.
  20. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

And very weak.

SOJAZ likes this.