The Official Cutdown Day Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Aug 29, 2022.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

At appears that Saleh and Douglas disagree with you as to which players are better than the others. No point in your voicing opinions as facts. My guess is that any possible monetary considerations have been identified by Douglas.

hornblower and KingRoach like this.
  2. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Rocket science is simple to a rocket scientist.

There’s literally no downside to what JD did, it’s basic math. Just accept you don’t understand how the cap works and move on with confidence that people who do understand how the cap works are in charge.

hornblower likes this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

A potential “downside” is that the next GM/coaching staff would be stuck with CJ Mosley in 2023. Who know which system they would want to run and if Mosley is a fit.

This is where good ownership is needed. They don’t meddle in manners other than to tell the front office not to kick the can down the road

4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Well, I am no CAPologist, but I made an effort to read about it, and educate myself to the point where I feel I have a very good idea of what is going on with these types of restructure. In fact, a while back I brought up the example of Brady's restructure of void years to spread the CAP and was suggesting that JD will be doing that too in the future once he feels we have core of the roster in place. He is doing it now, and I think my description of the situation is accurate. I do think it was a good move, because I feel he will be using CAP room this year, like he did last year with LDT. If we end up 10 mil under the CAP for 2022 season, while at the same time shifting 10 mil for future dead CAP, this would not have turned out so good. Hence I am confident JD does have a plan, but I am not blind enough just to say let's completely trust our GM since that's he job, he understands CAP, and is always right. As a Jet fans for several decades I don't fully trust anybody in charge of that team!

With that said, if you think I have a gap in understanding that you have identified, let me know what it is, and why you think so. Maybe even point out some example/reading where I can better my understanding. So far you have done no such thing, only insulted. Now to the point of this post. Is rocket science really simple to a rocket scientist?

5. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

6. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

They are absolutely not stuck with CJ, not at all. They can release him next year under exactly the same conditions. Further more if ownership is stupid enough to fire JD after this year with all the chemistry and planning there is absolutely no help for this team, and no proper candidate would want ever to touch the circus.
    The financial decision was precisely the right move for this particular situation and anyone that understands finances ie ownership knows that. Increase the cap, defer without changing the bottom line. The same dollar today is worth more than the one I owe tomorrow. And I immediately have 10M to help the team NOW.

7. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I can imagine that the Jets invest heavily in linebacker next year and keep CJ one more year unless he falls off a cliff.

Also could see if going heavy on safety unless Adams is a real steal.. and unfortunately tackle again

#427 JackBower, Sep 4, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
    mrjet80 likes this.
  8. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

The CS apparently really likes Tony Adams as a developmental S who can also play outside and slot corner in a pinch. I hope they're right.

Noam likes this.
  9. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Ah yes sorry, I meant Adams not Parks who was released and put on the PS. I'll edit that

Noam likes this.
  10. KingRoach

No one is stuck with anyone, the extra Cap Room rolls over. Pay now or pay tomorrow, it’s the same hit.
    It seems like you fear what JD will do with the freed up CAP money as opposed to the move itself.

Let’s call a spade a spade, you don’t trust JD. Time will tell.

11. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

This is a pretty standard move. Not sure why so much debate. I guess if you think Mosely falls of a cliff this year, but even so cutting him next year as a June 1 designee makes the money pretty much a wash.

The fact is that the Jets absolutely needed to free up space for this season to make any moves necessitated by injury. This was the one contract that allowed them to do it.

Jets79 and Noam like this.
  12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Understand that there is a difference. If we didn't touch Mosley's contract and then parted ways after this season, he would only count 3 mil in dead CAP next year. The rest would have come off the books this year. After restructure, if we waive him after this season, there is 15 mil dead CAP left after 2022, instead of 3 mil. We pushed 12 mil bucks down the road. You keep saying CAP rolls over without understanding exact implications of what was just done. The fact is that we will have 12 mil fewer CAP $s to play with in future year(s) because of this restructure. The benefit we gained from it is saving these 12 mil this year. We need to use this money this year, and I believe JD has a plan or he would not be doing this. How he executes this plan will tell us conclusively whether this was a good move or not.

As far as me trusting JD, I don't fully trust anyone on the Jets FO, I need to see some results first. But JD seems like the most competent GM we've had in a very long time. We need to see the results though. I am hopeful they will come, but like you said, time will tell.

13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I believe the 12mil rolls over into next year if we don’t use it. So we gain flexibility this year with our losing the space next year

Borat likes this.
  14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

You saw my explanation above that it is just not the case. Why do you think this is wrong? You think if we do not use this money this year, somehow Mosley's dead CAP figures will go away? They won't, because JD now shifted Mosley's CAP figure into the future year(s): https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/cj-mosley-14426/contracts/ . Are you able to show something that indicates otherwise and explain exactly how it will work that we will regain this money? I've explained in great level of detail how I understood this will work. If this detail is wrong and you have specifics to refute that, please do let me know as I took some interest in this subject and if my understanding is wrong, I would like to know exactly where it is off.

15. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I normally love your posts but here your math is wrong. The cap numbers between both contracts are exactly identical. Below is the math using the spotrac numbers from this article. https://jetsxfactor.com/2022/09/02/mosley-restructured-contract/

The original contract had a signing bonus which left 1.5 million of dead money per year. Meaning if Mosley was cut in 2022 there would be dead money of 4.5 million and if cut before 2023 there would be dead money of 3 million.

When we look at the original contract and his new contract his cap hit for 2022 and the dead money when cut after this year the cost is 20.5 million paid out for 2022. That is calculated by:

Old contract
    2022 Salary 16 Million
    Signing Bonus dead money for 2022 1.5 Million
    2023 Signing Bonus dead money 3 million
    Total owed to cap (over 2022-2023) if cut after 2022 to cap 20.5 million

New contract
    Salary 1.12 Million
    Signing Bonus dead money for 2022 4.476
    2023 Signing Bonus Dead Money 14.904
    Total owed to cap (over 2022-2023) if cut after 2022 20.5 Million

As you can see regardless of the new contract or the old contract Mosley still costs us the same amount in salary cap dollars of 20.5 million. It is mathematically impossible for the numbers to be different unless new money is added which there wasn't.

#435 Noam, Sep 5, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
    Borat likes this.
  16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

This actually supports my point, so I don't see why you are saying math is wrong. Yes, total CAP is same, we both have been saying all along, but now figures have been moved.
    Old contract. 2023 dead money: 3 mil.
    New contract 2023 dead money: 15 mil.

Whether you spend the 12 mil you saved for this year or not, when 2023 CAP year rolls, you will be subtracted 15 mil from that total CAP figure, because of CJ's restructure. If we didn't do restructure, only 3 mil would have been subtracted for 2023. What that means is that JD wants to use 12 mil THIS YEAR for this to make sense. Otherwise there was no point to do this. That's why total contract is the same: 12 mil got moved from this year to next, hence total is same. Again, all points to the need to use the money this year.

17. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

18. K'OB

[​IMG]

Ralebird and FJF like this.
  19. KingRoach

Well… you’re just wrong. If we don’t touch our cap this year, the extra money rolls over and the extra cap space equals the extra cap owed.

I quickly glanced back and I see 5 or 6 posters try and explain it to you. I’m not going to waste my time repeating things so I’ll give you choices and options.

Option A: you understand
    Option B: you don’t understand.

You’ve chosen option B

Choice A: you accept that you don’t understand and defer to people who do understand
    Choice B: you don’t understand and use your misunderstandings to further confuse yourself.

It looks like you’re going with Choice B but it’s not too late to switch.

Whatever you choose, I wish you the best.

20. K'OB

That's cruel but it was nicely thought out and made me laugh :D