The Official Cutdown Day Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Aug 29, 2022.

1. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Ok - it was me you replied to. And I did say he hasn't shown shit. And I stand by the statement. He only had 2 more interceptions than I did & I didn't even play last year.

K'OB likes this.
  2. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Did the new deal guarantee future salary or just push money into the future. If it's just the latter he can still be cut next year at no additional cost just the money pushed out becomes due.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  3. wewantsapp

I agree. I don't like this either. After this season, - I was hoping to rid ourselves of this inflated contract. This was another Mike Macaggnan special. However, this one is slightly defensible from the perspective that Mosley was in his prime coming off his rookie contract & our team was so bad, that we had to pay a premium on top of the high end LB salary in order to get him here.
    As luck would usually have it w/the JETS, - he got hurt very first game & missed that season, --- and then he sat out the following season w/the COVID excuse. So he started to play for us in year 3 technically & had lost 2 prime seasons.

RochesterJet likes this.
  4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

We can still move on but we're going to be saving way less money. Unless my math is shit, which is highly possible, we'd only be saving $6 mil as opposed to like $15 mil without this restructure.

I don't even hate the contract now. I do hate that we can't get out of it if we need to though. Or at least not as easy as we could before.

5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

he also had 3 more FF than you though, it is a deal breaker, no?

Though on a more sensible conversation it goes to show how poor we are in certain sections of playing football, 5 interceptions all season as a team is pitiful.

Acad23 and wewantsapp like this.
  6. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

If they did not add new guaranteed money it ends up the same amount. Rather than pay for it this year we would pay for it next year when he is cut. It still ends up the same amount unless they added more guaranteed money.

Jets79 likes this.
  7. BroadwayAaron

They didn't add guaranteed money but they converted some of it into a signing bonus which means the hit is spread across multiple years instead of just this year. So we added money to every remaining year of the contract even though he's not getting paid more each year.

8. wewantsapp

Conor Hughes saying JETS can still cut Mosley after 2022 if they wanted.

*** How do you guys paste the twitter screenshots into TGG forum? I have not clue how to do that. Whomever can, - please copy Conor Hughes twitter screenshots about the CJ Mosley contact.

Noam likes this.
  9. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Copying and pasting the tweet links work for me.

Noam likes this.
  10. BroadwayAaron

We can, we just won't save as much money.

11. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Question is are they still looking at bringing someone in

12. BroadwayAaron

Yea this isn't ideal.

13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

It's not anti Douglas. JD didn't commit to anything more than what was already committed. Just paid him in advance and spread CAP hit over 5 years to get under the CAP this year. We still have an opt out after this year, and you better believe he will restructure him again after this season if not release him. If he plays well this season, we may still keep the guy for a lot less. He is not getting 17 mil base again.

Noam likes this.
  14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

This is a bit misleading. He will not hit 21 mil CAP in 2023, because there is OUT clause after 22. He will be restructured again or at worst waived, and we will have to absorb these 14 mil that we saved this year. More likely though if he does not completely stink, we will simply reduce his base and restructure him again. Kind of like what 49ers did with Jimmy G this year. He took less money because otherwise he would have been waived and make less anyway.

This is just CAP gymnastics. Mosley was not given a penny more guaranteed than what he already had from imbecile Mac. He was just given money upfront to save the CAP this year and spread the same CAP over several years.

Jets79 likes this.
  15. BroadwayAaron

Right, I said this in an earlier post. He's not getting any more money, what's changing is how that money affects our salary cap. We can still cut him but we're saving far less money than we would be if he didn't restructure.

16. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

We still save the same amount by cutting him next year. The money just gets shuffled differently this year and next. The net saving over 2 years from cutting him is still the same and the effect on our cap over 2 years is identical.

Borat likes this.
  17. BroadwayAaron

Someone is wrong then between these two people... and both places are saying we would be saving less than if he restructured:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/c.j.-mosley-14426/

According to Spotrac with updated numbers we'd save less than $8 mil if we cut him next year... which is less than what Hughes says and less than what his original contract said.

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is a classic cap space restructure. The Jets are getting about $14M in cap relief this year that they will then have to make up from '23-'26.

19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

It's the same shit. We are saving CAP now vs if we did nothing. That same money would get tagged onto next year if we cut him then. Most likely we won't cut him though but reduce the CAP hit by reducing base, like Garopolo. Or do even more CAP gymnastics by signing him to another contract next year with bunch of void years.
    https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/cj-mosley-14426/

Very roughly speaking we reduced his CAP hit from I think 17 to 5 mil this year. That's about 12 mil savings. If we cut him end of this year without restructuring, we would have I think 3 mil dead CAP if I recall. Now if we cut him end of this year, CAP hit will be 15 mil. That's 12 mil extra for next year. So, from 17 and 3 for the two years, which Mac had him at, we went to 5 and 15. Because we need CAP room now. And again this will get further pushed down the road when it is decided whether or not Mosley plays next year. If he plays, it will be restructured again, and we will take again around 5-7 mil or so, with following year reducing, etc... Just CAP gymnastics, nothing more.

Mac is the one who fucked up by grossly overpaying him. JD is just trying to lessen the burden and move some of his salary down the road to get the room he needs now. Clearly he wants to win some games this year.

#399 Borat, Sep 2, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2022
    Noam likes this.
  20. BroadwayAaron

The very link you posted has the information that shows we would have way more than $3 million in dead money if we cut him next year.