$10,000 in Student Debt Canceled

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Aug 25, 2022.

1. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

These videos are cringe in that they edit out all the people who are of at least average intelligence and can answer the questions.

The loan system needs to be changed so that we stop handing out guaranteed loans for every school. 2+2=4 whether you go to community college or ivy league. We should not hand out loans to students going to predatory schools who overcharge when it comes to tuition. We need to do an assessment of universities/colleges, how much they charge, and the average income of graduates.

REVISion, Br4d and HomeoftheJets like this.
  2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

They bitch about everything.

joe likes this.
  3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The other thing is that public lending should not be done for undergraduate Ivy League and other top schools. By definition the education obtained there is over-priced and the way for people to attend those schools is either by means, institution based assistance or convincing a private lender that they are a good risk. The government should not be handing out gold-plated meal tickets in these situations.

You can educate and likely collect from 10+ students at mid-range and public colleges for every A-list undergraduate loan. The purpose of public lending in undergraduate education is to create an educated middle class capable of earning a good living. Handing money to people who already have the background and standing to attend an A-list school is just a waste of resources.

Note that I'm not saying anything about postgraduate lending. In many cases that type of lending serves a greater good, like making more Doctors and Engineers available to a society desperately short of both.

You could definitely sell me on no postgraduate Law loans. We have no shortage of lawyers.

Greenday4537 likes this.
  4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I don’t believe there are too many, if any, out there getting public lending to the Ivy League schools left

At this point the only people who get into the Ivy League are those smart enough to get their schooling completely paid for through scholarship, or those rich enough to have their parents pay their way in and through

I’m sure there’s an exception or two but what you describe is very uncommon. Either way, Ivy League grads are the best bets to get their loans paid off so it seems like a strange one to worry about

5. Br4d

It's not just the Ivy league. It's the top 20% of so of institutions in the USA that should be ineligible for public funding, which is what public educational loans are. That level of the educational infrastructure is already supported by billions upon billions in endowments and investments accumulated across the last century.

6. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I’d be curious to know what the rate of default is on loans to law students.

7. Br4d

I hear what you are saying here but do we really want to publicly finance ambulance-chasing?

That just feels like a bad deal all around and you know that's the thing that keeps the default rate low.

8. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Oh, I’m not advocating that the world needs more lawyers by a long shot. But if we’re going to apply some principled analysis to the subject, I’d want to know what the ROI is on the various disciplines.

9. JetBlue

Biden would be paying down $10k of private student loans as well if he was actually concerned about student loan debt crippling borrowers. Hey, it’s all our taxes paying for it regardless if it is waiving government debt or paying private loans.

10. joe

joe Well-Known Member

for the most part, yes they do.......
    [​IMG]

fortunately there's the occasional exception to the rule.....
    [​IMG]

11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

10g's for a student loan in most cases is more like 1%. Universities are so expensive that most come out with over 100K in loan debt paying an interest rate that will keep them in debt for years. This should make State and Community Colleges a far more viable option. If one is looking to get into a higher paying profession, they'll have to accept the costs and realize they're gonna be in debt even with a 6 figure salary.

12. JetBlue

There are other alternatives that aren’t as fun and require a young adult to be more adult than young, but if taken get you out of college with no debt. But that means abandoning the 4 year college experience when you are 18 and working for a few years before going to college.

Four years of military gets you enough money to get you through most public universities completely paid off, with some extra money in your pocket, gets you a VA loan which makes obtaining a house easier (another complaint of the debt generation) and looks good on your resume to assist getting a job.

work hard for four years and make the rest of your life easier, or take the easy route for four years and make the rest of your life harder. But this complain about their own debt generation wants the easy without any semblance of hard work and sacrificing for their own success.

Ralebird and Cman68 like this.
  13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

but you'd be sending your daughter to an unhealthy sexual environment. Less than 1 percent of sexual assault reports by service members end in conviction. Its a separate discussion no doubt, but my point is that there are other factors than 'hard work' involved here.

Probably wont have a say when the time comes but I will discourage my daughter from serving...

14. JetBlue

I wouldn't encourage my daughters to serve either, but rates of sexual assault are the same in the military as it is for undergraduate college students. according to rainn.org 24.6% of female undergraduate college students claim they are sexually assaulted or raped. According to the NY Times, 25% of women in the military report being sexually assaulted or raped, so the threat is essentially identical. the fear of being sexually assaulted or raped simply isn't reasonable objection to serving in the military if the alternative is going to college. I don't find the rate of conviction to be a tie breaker in favor of going to college instead and going into debt. But it's a personal choice that one gets to make, and thus they should assume the costs associated with that choice.

15. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Told ya NYC sucks!

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yeah but Rochester snowballs the load.

RochesterJet likes this.
  17. Greenday4537

No one should have to risk their lives serving in the military in order to afford the basics in life. It's like people want other people to stay in poverty to help drive military recruitment as their only option.

18. Br4d

I agree with this.

However the flip side is that military service is under-appreciated in general and giving significant rewards for serving is completely appropriate.

19. JetBlue

“Should” is a red herring at best and a dishonest emotional appeal at worst. You don’t want the option and prefer the debt then you have no grounds to complain about paying the debt. It’s that simple. Only a sack of shit rejects the option to earn money for college, assumes the debt to go to college, then argues it’s unfair they have to pay that debt.

beyond that, people all over the world have to risk their lives just for the basics of survival. So, no, the idea that nobody should have to face any risk for their own survival defies the responsibility each person has for their own survival. Some people are blessed with more luxuries than others and have a different lot in life. It’s not unfair it’s the reality of existence. There is no rational argument to the contrary; you are championing an idea that people as individuals shouldn’t be responsible for their own survival and there should be some universal bestower of comfort for your convenience. Just delusional.

#99 JetBlue, Aug 31, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2022
  20. Greenday4537

So because some people have to suffer, by your logic everyone should suffer? Kinda sick.