Chris Streveler

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GreenWhiteandGold, Aug 12, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Ok, so I like Streveler as a third string QB, but the Kurt Warner comparisons are a bit much for me.

When Warner stepped in for Trent Green, he almost instantly looked like the best QB in the league. Yeah, he was on a stacked team, but the guy was throwing some of the most perfect passes I've ever seen. Perfect footwork and timing, too.

Streveler's footwork is a tragedy and his passes are pretty risky, but he's a guy that can provide a spark when he's put into the game and I like that.

Edit: and judging by the way the team cheered him when he walked into the locker room after the Atlanta game (One Jets Drive ep3 I think), they fucking love him.

REVISion, Cman68, Red Menace and 2 others like this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Streveler's a great option for the practice squad. He needs to refine his craft but he is well liked in the locker room and his skillset is transferable enough that he could play the opposing QB well in practice during the week to prep the defense for different looks.

For example, this week and next, I'd have him running Ravens plays, he can run read option like Lamar Jackson.

He also seems like the type to take practices like the SB so him emulating the opposing QB and busting his ass to try and beat the defense doing it, would only make everyone better

Br4d and abyzmul like this.
  3. Wah

Wah Well-Known Member

How many times does this fanbase have to fall in love with a nobody QB that had a good couple of games only to have their hearts crushed when reality hits? I mean its the same damn story every preseason and we haven't had a Kurt Warner on our roster yet. Yes, I loved watching Streveler play, and yes I was rooting for the guy.... but this nonsense about cutting Flacco (our current day 1 starter) for a complete gamble is ridiculous and would get any GM fired on the spot and banished from the NFL. Streveler's value to this organization is as a practice squad project or possible trade piece ala Brett Ratliff. If he gets plucked from the PS, then good for him... but his ceiling in the current state of the Jets is as a possible backup if everyone else goes down, because even then, the Jets would be smart to bring in a vet to continue to develop our young players. Lets be real... I absolutely enjoyed this preseason because of him, but if Streveler sees any real game time then we are truly fucked.

REVISion, PJ4Ever, westiedog1 and 2 others like this.
  4. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Matt Stanford began his career missing 6 games in year 1, 13 in year 2. His shoulder was always injured.
    He followed that start with 8 straight seasons of 16 game starts per season. He played full seasons in 10 his next 11 seasons.

Stafford is the same weight today, as a 35 year old and all of less than a half inch taller. I can’t draw conclusions off or size. Lots of smaller guys are durable and even more large QBs are injury prone.

Losmeister likes this.
  5. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Not a close comparison. Ratliff to Clowney were absolute bombs Jet fans hadn't seen in many years. Very refreshing and it tells us something that we remember those throws that happened in preseason games. Streveler to Jackson was not a bomb but nice. Reminded me, and should have reminded Giant fans, of Manning to Burress in SB XLII.

I worry about Steveler's arm strength. He flourishes by throwing short passes on the run, although the pass to Jackson was from the pocket which I liked to see. The TD pass to Mims was not a good throw IMO. It had too much air under it and was thrown short. Mims made a Julio Jones type play on it for the TD.

6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Frankly I'd be shocked by decent QB play in the regular season..

Ralebird, SOJAZ and westiedog1 like this.
  7. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Not in the Titans or Bucs game?

PJ4Ever likes this.
  8. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Explain the thrown short part?

From memory it seemed Mims was at full stretch and it dropped into his hands with no chance for the CB?

Cman68 likes this.
  9. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

We spend our time convincing ourselves that crap QB play is really promising QB play because of all the bad players on our team, and that good QB play is really crappy QB play because of all the bad players on other teams.

ouchy, abyzmul, Cman68 and 1 other person like this.
  10. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

That's what I saw too.

Cman68 likes this.
  11. Cman68

Yeah... Lets put Streveler on the practice squad and pray nobody grabs him. I don't think I've ever heard the Jet Locker room chant "Mike White" but I could be wrong. The man is rapidly becoming a folk hero for Jet Fans and players so by all means, lets walk him out the door.. He still looks like a MMA fighter! :)

abyzmul and K'OB like this.
  12. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

We're going to rag this dude for playing against (and with) guys that won't be in the league come Tuesday? Zach Wilson barely played against college competition in 2020, and 95% of the guys he played against didn't even make it to a preseason game.

ouchy likes this.
  13. K'OB

He'll remember that moment when he tells his grandkids about it, the NFL is so exclusive, in soccer over here there are lower leagues where he could make a nice living playing sport, then again at 16k a week on PS maybe not in the 3rd division and lower lol

Cman68 likes this.
  14. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Regarding the bold - sure, but is there any doubt that in general, the bigger a QB is the less of an injury concern he is? I don't think so. Stafford is also notoriously tough - there aren't many guys as tough as he is.

Wilson's injury history is a very real concern at this point. I would keep adding weight up to about 225-230 if I was him, that should be sufficiently bulky. He may just be injury prone regardless of weight though.

Regarding Streveler - it's clear the locker room loves him and he provides an undeniable spark. At the same time, he's been doing this vs. 3rd and 4th stringers for the most part. Mike White, while extremely inconsistent, has looked good vs. actual starters before.

I'm torn on the idea of ditching Flacco for Streveler. We know what we have in Flacco and he's 1,000 years old. At the same time, it's hard to argue that Streveler gives us a better chance at winning games this season filling in for Wilson.

15. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I love the grit and guts of Streveler and I'm not a huge White Knight fan but there is no way Streveler knows the offense was well as White. You have to open the season with White backing up Flacco.

Ralebird and Cman68 like this.
  16. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Does anyone think Flacco would have won that game yesterday if he had played it out?

17. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

From reviewing the play, he had to reach down and slightly behind him as he went to the ground to make the catch with the DB right there. And, even though there was no flag thrown, a case could be made that he pushed off. No question a great catch but the perfect throw would have been over the shoulder in full stride. The distance wasn't that great so it's a throw an NFL QB should make. Also didn't like the hang time. A top DB should have been able to make a play on that ball. But hey, it is what it is, a good throw (not great) and a great catch resulting in a TD. I'll take it. Been on the other side of those plays for so long. Maybe I'm being picky but top NFL defenses tend to eat up QBs who don't have a strong arm. I'm not convinced Streveler has one from what I've seen so far. To me he's Ryan Fitzpatrick II, which isn't bad, just isn't great.

18. K'OB

Are you not just being very picky?

The CB had zero chance of an INT, I think most of us think it was a great throw tbh, not that that makes me want him as the #1 but I don't want to dog on the poor bloke for a 3" stretch back ;)

ps sorry I missed the part where you said maybe I'm being picky lol

#318 K'OB, Aug 29, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2022
    Cman68 likes this.
  19. Cman68

Not a chance in hell.. That goes for MW too..

20. Cman68

While this is true, there's no reason why once ZW returns, there won't be time to actually incorporate Streveler into the offense. The man is winning games with MLF utilizing the back of the playbook. I can only imagine what this young man can do given the opportunity. White may know the offense, but you have to wonder who can execute it better all things being equal. I see less of a jump from ZW to CS as their styles do compliment each other. Flacco can go start somewhere else and let MW back up ZW.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.