Starting Defense

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by teamgreen, Aug 13, 2022.

1. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

What is the reason for pre season? I think its mainly to weed out players to get to the final roster. I don't think teams use complicated schemes in the process or have their best players on the field for very long. So it's impossible to analyze what a team will do in the regular season from what they do in the pre. There are about 2 weeks between the last pre and the opener. The coaches are supposed to have a handle on what they can expect from the final roster. They are supposed to implement a game plan for the week 1 opponent. Bad coaches doa poor job. Good coaches do a good job. These words are self defining. Allmost all the jets coaches were rookies last year. Have they learned stuff for year 2? We wont know till probably the third game of the season. They think they have the plan going into game 1. Performance in that game leads to adjustments for game 2. That game leads to changes for game 3 that probably determine how the rest of the year plays out. Significant injuries change everything

PJ4Ever, ouchy, MoWilkBeast and 6 others like this.
  2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

"Scheme adherence: smart or stubborn?
    Given that the Jets lack the manpower to run the system that the Seahawks and 49ers implemented, what should Saleh do going forward?
    At this point, with just one preseason game remaining and fewer than three weeks left until the Game 1 kickoff, the overarching answer to that question must be to continue with the scheme. An NFL team cannot change their entire scheme in late August."
    This is the part that is so frustrating to me and, I suspect, many others here. It may well be too late to make wholesale changes in the scheme three weeks before the season starts but why has it come down to this? They had an entire off-season to implement a defense more appropriate to the personnel who actually had to make it work.

3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I hope Ullbrich is willing and able to make adjustments to his scheme... and that includes the whole "fewer snaps" for the D-line thing.
    "Hey... we're gonna sit our best linemen for 50% of the game!"... which means sub-par talent plays more.

Saleh has stated the defense wasn't all that bad last year... it would have been fine if you eliminate some bad games... :confused:

We bottomed the league in points against... 7 teams hung 30+ points on us.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/most-points-allowed-nfl-2021

4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Even a "C" level guy for quotations would say that the first step in fixing a problem is admitting you have one.

Jojo likes this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The defense is gonna be frustrating as hell.

It's going to be more of the same, giving up 8 yard catches on 3rd and 7; jumping around like they won the SB on a 2nd down stop, only to lose focus and give up a big gainer on the very next play.

Penalties on the secondary & linebackers bums who never leave the field while watching pro bowl talent like Q Williams sit half the game for breathers, etc..

SOJAZ and Jojo like this.
  6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Maybe Saleh is teaching Ulbrich some simple math so he can figure out how many plays.

Jojo likes this.
  7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

abyzmul likes this.
  8. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

You guys want to keep killing Ulbrich but you do realize he’s calling Saleh’s D? The D that Saleh said a Monkey could run. It has nothing to do with Ulbrich at all. Other than his association to Saleh’s D. Our D is predicated on playmakers. There is no Bill Belichek scheming average players into positions of success. Our D is a “line up and beat the guy in front of you” strategy in its most basic form. It requires playmakers to succeed. We unfortunately do not have those playmakers, and I suspect as long as this regime is in charge the majority of our resources in the draft and FA are going to be targeted at D. Honestly, in my opinion, we employ just about the worst regime possible while developing a QB. Besides the fact they’re Defensive minded, their defense requires the FO to keep using high value resources to be truly functional as opposed to coaching up average players.

9. bleedgreen

"As opposed to coaching up average players." You say this as if it was easy. An average player has probably played football since high school, and theyhave excelled since than, otherwise how get into theNFL? They come with their physical tools already set for the most part. So how does a coach get this guy to jump anotch? These kind of coaches have to be few and far between. Most coaches just can't get players to do this.

10. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

You’re right “coaching up” was a poor choice of words, my apologies. But a good coach can scheme to the strengths of his players, not asking them to do what they’re physically not capable doing. I realize Belichek is an outlier, but if you’ve ever seen the documentary on his philosophy one of the first things was to scheme his defense to the strengths of his players, and not ask them to do what they physically can’t do. Saleh’s scheme is his mantra, all gas no brakes. There’s nothing complicated about it at all, it’s simply to beat the player in front of you physically and mentally, but it requires top notch players. It’s not about calling better plays, there’s literally nothing Ulbrich can do short of scrapping Saleh’s playbook. Until we have some proven elite players on D I really don’t see a whole lot of improvement, and I really fear we’re going to be pouring draft stock into the defense primarily over the next couple years if they’re still around.

ColoradoContrails, PJ4Ever and Jojo like this.
  11. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

The Jets need a defensive guru. Somebody call Rex! Oh wait, he's racing around the world.

12. bleedgreen

Ou
    You could be correct. But until t h e season, we wont know if the jets coaching philosophy has changed/not changed, or if the roster gives them needed playmakers. You just cant deduce much from the preseason.

13. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I am not sure we will know when the season starts with 7 possible new starters on defense. There will need time to learn, play together, evaluate and make adjustments. U would expect a lot of growing pains but hopefully the defense can stay healthy this year. That would be a huge improvement.

#153 Noam, Aug 25, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
  14. bleedgreen

Which is why i personally target game 3 to start to form judgements

Noam likes this.
  15. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

There are numerous adjustments & tweaks that can be made to bolster the shortcomings of the talent.
    Will Ullbrich do that?... who knows.

I hate the scheme we run... the league figured out how to exploit it years ago.
    Without top notch talent it just doesn't work effectively.

Maybe we'll see results with an effective pass rush... but don't hold your breath.

ColoradoContrails, Jojo and REVISion like this.
  16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure of the Xs and Os, but I believe Saleh's defense is predicated with the front 4 bringing the heat w/o blitzing, forcing the QB to throw before he's ready. Losing Lawson last season was a huge blow to this.

But I also believe that 1) getting Lawson back, 2) Quinnen in a contract year, 3) the drafting of Jermain Johnson and Clemons, and the drafting of Sauce (plus DJ Reed) to force the QB to hold the ball a second longer will pay off this season.

Plus it's year 2 in the same D, which always helps.

I think we still have issues with our Linebackers, which could be a game wrecker.

MoWilkBeast and REVISion like this.
  17. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Interesting video. Basically suggests not enough disguise of coverages, makes it easier on the QB.

ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  18. Aceman16

Aceman16 New Member

It was a good watch. Explained a few things that I knew but needed to be reminded of

19. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Sauce will be starting week 1, beat out Bryce Hall per Saleh

20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Was there any doubt?