$10,000 in Student Debt Canceled

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Aug 25, 2022.

1. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

2. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

This is true. I often forget what it took to grow my business. I’m lucky that I’m in an area that had a lot of doors to knock on, it’s not like that everywhere. For the first ten years, I was working 7 days a week, 10-12 hours a day, and then sometimes going out in the middle of the night for flood emergencies. Saying yes to every call that came in. Now that I have a solid base of customers, plenty of new calls coming in, I have a lot more control over it. But it took a lot to get here. It was scary having all the equipment to pay for , on top of everyday bills. It’s also the life I was raised on, so I somewhat knew what to expect. It would be much different for someone with no experience in start up.

JetBlue and Br4d like this.
  3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

It’s somewhat of a valid point, it was abused for sure but the mechanism to forgive those loans were known when it was passed. That’s why I don’t see it as comparable. But to brads point about the congresswoman’s loans, I just don’t bat an eye anymore about these politicians gaming the system. It’s what it is now and it’s not stopping anytime soon.

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

This dude got a lot of mileage out of a bloody sock.

Ralebird, papapump and mute like this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I wonder if Schilling had any sort of scholarship at Yavapai College for playing a game.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Seriously, no professional baseball player should be talking about the economic problems that everyday people face. Talk about living in magical fairyland...

Ralebird, papapump, Kryoptix and 2 others like this.
  7. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Is he wrong?

8. Br4d

Curt Schilling is wrong about everything he talks about.

He has the really entitled viewpoints of somebody who made multi-millions playing a children's game.

9. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

A children's game at the highest level possible. A children's game that generates a ton of money. But yeah....a children's game.

JetBlue likes this.
  10. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I happen to think it's a dumb opinion... but not because of who said it.

What's really dumb is dumping a 500+ billion dollar debt payment into the laps of every tax paying citizen...
    All while doing little to attack the core problem.

RochesterJet, FJF and JetBlue like this.
  11. Br4d

What's really dumb is cutting taxes administration after administration while we keep spending the way we are.

I'm thinking it is time for a constitutional amendment that makes you pay for every tax cut with a real plan to reduce spending.

Ralebird likes this.
  12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Now that Curt Schilling has weighed in, and thank God it was shared here, I really really wonder what Lenny Dykstra thinks of this student loan announcement

Jonathan_Vilma and Acad23 like this.
  13. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

It's completely disingenuous to compare student loans to the PPP program, the White House knows it's a dishonest comparison and are only attempting to present it as hypocritical to appeal to their echo chamber of allies who have no interest, ability or desire to think critically about it.

The PPP was a drastic measure taken to assist businesses survive because the government was impacting their ability to do business. If the government wants to shut down business because of a politically driven pandemic, it's the government's responsibility to keep businesses afloat. of course, the more reasonable solution would have been not shut down the economy, but there was an election to win, economy be damned.

That is nowhere near comparable to citizens asking for, and receiving loans to pay for a service (education) and then not wanting to pay that loan back because the service they asked for wasn't profitable. That is an individual choice and individual responsibility.

Just because they are both loans doesn't make them identical. Just asinine anyone would lack the ability to know the difference.

14. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Outside of a lot of opinion on this statement, the also is the assumption the PPP loans were used properly in most cases. While that may be true, the lack of oversight, which was intentional by some of the people who got the largest sums of PPP, I find it hard to believe.

It's also a choice to ignore predatory behavior and blaming the victims by stating the obvious that it was their choice. That's a slippery slope.

#54 JackBower, Aug 26, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2022
  15. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

He is because he never even lived the life of an average hard working american.

16. JetBlue

Whether the PPP loans were obtained fraudulently or used inappropriately is irrelevant to the discussion of the dishonest comparison to student loans.

I'm not denying that students were defrauded by some for-profit institutions. But how is it reasonably the tax payers responsibility to pay for the fraud of a private company. Not to mention, the forgiveness is not being isolated to just those cases so it's clear that those instances are only being used a red herring to merely distract from the actual motive of the forgiveness.

FJF and JackBower like this.
  17. JetBlue

Are you claiming he was born wealthy and only became one of the best pitchers of his time merely because the simulation programmed him to be so? His success and wealth is simply privilege and destiny? Or perhaps it doesn't take hard work and sacrifice to achieve his level of success and ability?

18. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Now do Joe Biden!

joe and JetBlue like this.
  19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Not sure about carpenters, but electricians need to complete 8000 hours to finish a standard apprenticeship and 12000 hours to be a master carpenter. That's industry standard according to a friend that's an electrician. So you're talking 4-6 years before you can really start making some money. (Edit: that's also what Google said after I fact checked)

20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member