Denzel Ain't Happy...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Acad23, Aug 25, 2022.

1. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

They don’t, it’s this narrative of a master negotiator I object to.

When we get a conditional 7th and a Happy Meal for Becton, there’ll still be some on here saying it’s a great result for someone destined for the waiver wire.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Yes, it woulda been like inheriting a young Keyshawn Johnson and burying him on the bench because he's not a good slot receiver. Parcells did inherit a young Keyshawn and installed an offense that brought out his talent instead

Jojo, Ralebird and Jets79 like this.
  3. Jeff M

Jeff M Well-Known Member

I will say when mins was first drafted that I really liked the pick. I think the kid definitely has talent. He seems to be steadily working his way thru his problems and appears to be improving. However, he never has seemed to get the confidence of the staff and that has resulted in no real role or opportunity for him.

I think at some point WR4 will be needed in the course of this season, and I think mims has more talent than does smith.

now, if JD can get a conditional fourth or better, we probably need to pull the trigger. If not, I would like to see the staff try to make enough of a reconciliation to maybe keep him happy enough, and that would start be giving him serious reps in the rest of the pre season. Maybe that would increase trade value if a satisfactory role cannot be worked out.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I'm against moving him:

1. The return just on him would be squat
    2. He's good insurance if Davis, Wilson, or Moore go down
    3. I don't like the idea of a guy who has done nothing yet demanding a trade--who's next Trevon Westco?
    4. If the jets move on from Davis in 2023 (cap hit), Mims could have a role.

If they DO trade him, package him with one of the DEs who may be moved to at least get a decent pick.

5. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

He's got more trade requests than touchdowns in a Jets uniform.

6. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

What the agent is saying is true, but only a part of the story. Yes, Mims improved and didn't get a chance with the ones. However, that is not the full story. The reason why he didn't get a chance with the ones is that he did get a chance last year but had a terrible training camp and then played like shit when he did get a chance in regular season, being outperformed by complete scrubs. That forced the Jets to resign Berrios, who was actually good, and draft another WR with a 1st round pick. So, yes, now Mims seems to have improved, but we got other players too, who are better, and he fell to about #5 WR. Maybe even #6, since Smith also had a good camp, arguably better than Mims, but #5 at best.

When a guy plays as bad as he did last year, he cannot be just given an opportunity to play with the 1s or expect coaches to have enough confidence in him not to resign Berrios or draft GW. It is possible that the difference between some of these guys is not that big. An injury to one of the guys ahead of him, and perhaps poor performance by another, and Mims could get a chance to play this season and showcase himself. But he needs to really earn his spot. Trade request now after Mims hasn't accomplished anything in his career and has very little value is a little ridiculous.

#46 Borat, Aug 26, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2022
  7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Mims also asked for a release too. The young man wants out. I hope they grant his wish one way or the other.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  8. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Unless we can get something genuinely valuable for him, either a nice depth player for the o-line or a decent draft pick, we should keep him. Just because his agent starts flapping his gums doesn't mean we have to listen.

9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Why waste a roster spot on a guy you don't want??

SOJAZ and Noam like this.
  10. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I think we need to wait for a trade, no matter how low. If we release him there is a good chance he will land in NE, whose still thin at WR. Or maybe even Buffalo, and he turns out to be a perfect match with Josh Allen. At the very least, I don't want to help those teams.

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

You never keep a guy who doesn’t want to be here. It’s bad for morale.

I would agree with you, I like Mims I think there’s value in keeping him. I think the staff botched his development.

But at this point you don’t keep a guy who wants out

12. ukjetsfan

Because he's better than an absolute scrub. I agree, if it comes down to keeping him or someone the staff likes, it's an easy decision. I guess this is what happens when you strengthen your roster. Suddenly you're not just letting scrubs go, but players with at least something about them.

Ralebird likes this.
  13. ukjetsfan

If he saw some action and made a few catches suddenly he would be happy to stay. It's up to the FO to decide if they want to keep him as insurance against injuries, and they will weigh that up against what they are offered when they explore trade options.

14. ukjetsfan

But JD has done very well with trades. You can't deny that. And Becton hasn't been traded for a seventh rounder and a Happy Meal so what's the point of mentioning that?

FJF likes this.
  15. Not Sure

Not Sure Active Member

Oh shit. :p

16. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

mims has had the two worst starting qbs in the league throwing to him and people want to take shots at his lack of production smh

SOJAZ, Cman68 and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  17. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Mims totaled 132 yards, averaging 12 yards a game last year. Whats equal value to that?

#58 ouchy, Aug 26, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2022
  19. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

They can package him and Ashtyn Davis for an in the box official NFL football

ouchy likes this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

"Yeah but look how clean and shiny it looks! And low miles too!"

tomdeb and ouchy like this.