2022 - Preseason Week 3: Giants @ Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Aug 23, 2022.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Last pre-season game of the year.

Sunday 1 PM game. Not sure how much starters will play but I hope to see more of this Strev guy versus Mikey Whitey.

I will be there thanks to @KingRoach . Anybody else planning to be there?

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I thought they mentioned on last notes telecast that Saleh was planning on making this a dress rehearsal so the starters should see a bit of action.

Sec124DieHard likes this.
  3. Sec124DieHard

Sec124DieHard Well-Known Member

they did, you are correct. Hopefully weather is not an issue as that does seem to affect his approach a bit.

4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

The real mystery will be who backs up Flacco.. If its White, Streveler is a goner. If its Strev, White's 15mins are over.

SOJAZ likes this.
  5. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Out starters on offense should play a quarter, ideally a half. We have too many new pieces and they need to start working and gelling together in an actual game environment. They've played way too little so far this preseason.

SOJAZ likes this.
  6. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

The joint practice on Thursday will likely be more important and more informative than the pre-season game just like the joint practices against the Falcons provided better information than the game. Hopefully we get Brown and the full OL practicing this week.

FJF likes this.
  7. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The Jets performed better in the joint practice so they provided better information.

Ralebird likes this.
  8. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Pre-season games are more of a crapshoot than joint practices. Players are rested and some teams gameplan some don't. It is hard to make sense of the results. In a joint practice it is mpre of an even controlled test. It is 1vs1's, 2's vs 2's and one can see who is stronger. Last year the jets were destroyed in joint practices by the Eagles and Packers. It was the first sign that the Jets were not a competitive team. This year the Jets were the better team by all accounts vs the Falcons. Does that mean they are good? No, they should be the better team and should dominate the Falcons and the Giants in joint practices. We should be worried if they did not. It is too bad that we did not have joint practices with the Eagles that would have been a much better test of where are as a football team and how much we have improved. The joint practice Thursday against the Giants is likely the last chance we will get to see a measure of where we are as a team before the regular season.

9. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

horrendous idea

10. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

When was the last time the Jets and Giants played a day game during the preseason? It has been a night game for the last 40 years or so.

There is a tape on utube from the 1975 preseason game which looked to be a day game that may have been the last time …..

11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Almost. This will be the third day game in the series since 1975 and the tenth overall since the two teams began preseason games in preparation for the merger of the American Football League and the National Football League.

The first game of any kind between the Jets and Giants was a preseason game at the Yale Bowl in 1969, one year before the AFL-NFL merger was complete but seven months after the Jets had won the championship game against the Colts. They met in preseason activity at the Yale Bowl each of the following six years and all were day games as there were no lights at the Yale Bowl at that time. The 1975 game was the last in New Haven even as the Giants prepped to play their home games that year in Shea Stadium which never hosted the preseason game that had been dubbed the Mayor's Bowl during that run.

The only game in the preseason series to be played in New York was at Yankee Stadium in 1976 and it was the first night game. The 1977 game was the first to be held in New Jersey and it returned to a daytime format. In 1978 the rivalry shifted to a night game which has been the case every year until now except for 2015 when the game was played at one o'clock.

ukjetsfan, Brook! and Acad23 like this.
  12. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Sounds like the starters will get a decent amount of PT on Sunday.

ouchy and Brook! like this.
  13. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Good,

Galatasaray's soccer game in Turkey starts at 2:45 PM Eastern. My plan is to have a good tailgate on Sunday morning at MetLife. Watch first quarter, leave in second quarter once starters are pulled, make it home for the soccer game and call it a great Sunday.

@bicketybam the Yankee lover, comments? :D

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  14. mrjet80

Where did find this source? The Jets website? They got 2015 wrong I would of remembered that. I have never watched a Jets Giants preseason game during the day. I vaguely remember 1977 and yes that was a day game. Ever since then it’s been night games. I think they are confusing the regular season game in 2015 which of course was a day game.

Funny thing is almost all the 50+ Preseason games have been at night - since 1978 every single one of them has been at night. But all 14 regular season match ups have been simple 1:00 Sunday games. The only time they did not play a regular season game on a Sunday was in 2011 when Christmas fell on Sunday and the NFL played all of their regular Sunday games on Saturday Dec 24.

I read one time the NFL was afraid to schedule a Jets Giants game prime time because the fans would be too nuts - a lot of pregame drinking etc.

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It always made more sense to me to make the dress rehearsal the last PS game, the players are fresher from contact in week 1.

16. Sec124DieHard

Sec124DieHard Well-Known Member

a little different now though because you get two weeks off now, as opposed to 1 when it was a 4 wk preseason.

Also the reason you will see more day games, because Sat and Sun are now in play, whereas when there was only the 1 off week, nobody would be shortchanged rest and practice time, as well as having to get to 53 quicker

abyzmul likes this.
  17. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I got most of it from ESPN, including the part you say is wrong. Just Google "Jets Giants august 2015" A listing will come up from ESPN that has the game summary with the dates and times on the left side of the page about halfway down.

Hah! Just looked again and I see that I got it wrong, I read the 7:00 as 1:00 - no glasses, small font, light print!

"Nevermind" - E. Latella

#17 Ralebird, Aug 26, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2022
    Acad23 and mrjet80 like this.
  18. mrjet80

Eh it happens …. We’re getting old lol. I’m just hoping to see the starters get their two or three series in and out they go. Although the OL definitely needs some cohesion ….

Cman68, Acad23 and Ralebird like this.
  19. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

It was a day game for us on the west coast...

20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner