Chris Streveler

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GreenWhiteandGold, Aug 12, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

AND claiming they would rather have Sam Darnold (grandson of Dick Hammer.)

2. AtlantaJet

AtlantaJet Well-Known Member

When your starter is injured and your backup is 37 years old, it Is REALLY important who your third string QB is. Flacco should play at most 1 series with the team next preseason game. Streveler and White should each play equal time wIth the starters. Whoever does worse can play the rest of the game with the backups. After that it will hopefully be completely clear who should be the QB3.

IDFjet and Cman68 like this.
  3. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Jack. I am not an American. So "bang your mom" comment would cause murder in my culture. Kindly asking you to refrain using these type of words.

Didn't get a chance to read previous pages but please report any messages so that moderators can attend to it quicker.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Except Allen didn't play poorly his second season.

BacktoQueens and HomeoftheJets like this.
  5. cval

cval Well-Known Member

This is very flawed logic. It is two starting season is it the number of games played? Does the quality of the team matter. Define suck what criteria are you using.

Two season for a young QB on a bad team tells you very little in my opinion. Since most QB don't turn into top 10 qbs what is your criteria?

I am sure there are more factors but yo just say not good after 2 seasons. The only reason your are correct is that most Qbs fail.

Does Marriott suck? He is starting, Winston, he is starting, Tribinsky he is starting. If any of these guys plays well does that change your theory?

The reality is teams have three years to make a decision then they have to pay. Most are not willing to pay so for Qbs to develop if they don't hit rt away will have to be on their second teams .

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Mariotta (guessing thats who you meant) had a QBR of 91 and 95 his first 2 seasons, and still lost his job to Tannahil, and may lose his current job to a rookie.

Jameis Winston has never had a season where his QB rating was lower than 84. Threw for over 4000 yards and 20+ TDs in each of his first two seasons.

Tubisky made the pro bowl his first season. He is currently 3rd on the steelers depth chart, not a starter.

None of these guys ever struggled the way Zach struggled his first season.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

The sample size here is hundreds of QBs, it doesn't impact the results at all if some of them played 22 games during those two seasons and some played 32. Almost every highly drafted QB goes to a bad team, so that's not very relevant either.

Your statement about most QBs not turning out to be good is correct, and that's even more true when you've played poorly for a season or multiple seasons in the NFL. You're saying I'm correct and then still trying to poke holes in the argument and saying it's "very flawed logic". I don't get it.

Sure, teams do have 3 years to make a decision, but that doesn't mean the optimal move is to wait 3 years to make that decision. The trade value of the player after year 2 is usually substantially higher than after year 3, for example, and there's the opportunity cost of forgoing taking another QB in a given draft. Believe me, I poured over all of this data when I was assessing how likely Darnold was to work out for us during/after his 2nd year. The numbers are awful. There is legitimately a <5% chance that a QB will ever become a long term starter when his first 2 seasons are bad.

And again, any of our personal views on Wilson or the hand he's been dealt are irrelevant. Every QB encounters struggles and almost every highly drafted QB goes to a bad team. The sample size here is so large that it is completely pointless to try to think of all the reasons outside of his control that will impact whether Wilson succeeds or fails, because most other QBs in the sample would've had their supporters giving similar excuses.

8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Post of the Week.ouchy! ..thanks for digging up some valid comparisons to accurately see where Wilson doesn't size up

But watch out ! ...some posters here will start throwing stones at you for questioning their guy

I am also waiting for the other excuses like " none of the QBs you mentioned had such a poor supporting cast, team etc like Zac got with Jets" ...

ouchy likes this.
  9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Allen was good in Year 2. If a young Jets QB ever throws 20 TDs and 9 INTs, I don't even know what TGG will do.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  11. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Throw in another 500 yds, 9 TDs and 41 1st downs rushing.
    Jets fans would be ecstatic with those combined numbers.

He looked like he belonged in his rookie year imo, but by his 2nd year it was obvious.
    The only people still claiming he wasn’t good were those clinging to pre draft narratives.

Im rooting for Wilson but I’m still waiting for him to show he belongs as a starting NFL QB.

NoodleArm, K'OB, IDFjet and 4 others like this.
  12. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

In terms of Steveler I’d like to see him get a fair shot to unseat Mike White, who has been looking very pedestrian.

The team clearly doesn’t have confidence in White as evidenced by giving up a draft pick to get that stiff Flacco back.

Steveler has that gunslinger mentality that players rally behind like Fitz.
    I’d rather give his upside a shot if he can piece together another good game.

13. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I was not talking about Wilson and just because you say something does not make it true. There are plenty of QB that have very good career that have not played well or played at all their first two seasons.

The leash is just a lot shorter now and young Qbs play a lot sooner than in the past. Do you think Pennington would have been good if he played as rookie or second year player. Do you think Aaron Rodgers would have been good his rookie or second year.

There are 100s of example that make your samples irrelevant or misleading at best

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Maybe all the 'start Streveler now!!!!' posts will actually be the reason JD will cut him. Doesn't want those chants building in volume if Zack struggles.

Ralebird likes this.
  15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'm curious about what Mike Lafleur thinks of Streveler. Sometimes you get your hands on somebody who just fits and has enough maturity that it might be real.

Cman68 likes this.
  16. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

A fair shot to unseat Mike White?

It should already be over. Mike White sucks.

bicketybam and Jeff M like this.
  17. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Are we winning ten games this season?

18. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

Flacco and Wilson are both out, by some miracle the Jets are vying for a playoff spot, who do you want to start, White or Streveler? Right now, I'm going with Streveler

#198 Will-I-Am-Not, Aug 24, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
    Nyjets4eva and ColoradoContrails like this.
  19. Jeff M

Jeff M Well-Known Member

I am a big believer in the eye test. Not every QB who passes the eye test will be good, but pretty much any QB who fails the eye test will be mediocre or worse.

to me Sam never passed the eye test. IMHO, Zach passes with flying colors, but clearly needs to improve consistency. That will determine if he is successful or not, assuming he can stay healthy and on the field.

I think white flunks the eye test big time.

as for Steveler he passes against poor competition, I would like to see if he still passes against better defenses. Hope he gets that opportunity to show what he can really do.

Brook!, NoodleArm, Nyjets4eva and 3 others like this.
  20. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

This is great post and I agree with everything completely.

Jeff M likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.