Thoughts on preseason game #2

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tomdeb, Aug 23, 2022.

1. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I know none of the starters played, so there is little to draw on. That being said, here are my thoughts on last night, recognizing some will be unpopular.

1. Just preseason, but WHY are the jets never ready to play at the start? Regular season or preseason, it seems like the other team's coach HAS his team ready to compete at kickoff, while the jets sleepwalk thru the first half. Saleh has GOT to get this ready to compete from the opening whistle.

2. Mike White is playing himself out of a backup job.

3. I hope they keep DT Marshall and make him part of rotation. Thomas, Rankins, and Shepard haven't shown me much. Marshall may not be that much better, but shows potential as a disruptor. And he is younger and probably cheaper.

4. I like Perine over Coleman/Johnson/Kinght as #3 RB. Not just because he scored TD, but at least he has got a few moves. Coleman runs to contact. I know Coleman is not #1 kickoff returner, but his two returns last night were pathetic. He catches the ball and then jogs down the field like he wants to go down.

5. Why would we draft Gardner at #4 and NOT start him in regular season?

6. I may be in the minority but I want the jets to keep Mims. Kind of a head case, but too big an investment to give away. Trade value minimal. NFL size WR. If Davis, Moore or Wilson go down, we will wish we had kept him. Besides, if the jets move on from WR Davis in 2023 (cap hit), Mims might have a role.

7. Greg Z. should be our kicker in 2022.

8. Clemons is outplaying first round pick Johnson at DE so far. Yes, I know it is against backups.

9. The jets better hope they have no injuries to the OL or else say goodbye to the run game. That first half run blocking was non-existent.

10. They can't cut TE Westco quickly enough for me. One of the last Mike MacIdiot picks.

Now tell me where I'm wrong--won't take anything personal.

westiedog1, boozer32, Brook! and 8 others like this.
  2. Jeff M

Jeff M Well-Known Member

Streveler has an “it” factor that white lacks.

I keep him over white at this point in time, but still need to see more in the remaining games.

a lot of good points in your post.

possible disagreement is perine over knight, who did a nice job on returns and who also has more burst, but I am open on that one.

3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Given a choice between Mims and Cager, I'd take Cager. Wesco can walk the plank any day now. The DL still generates no pressure and the Secondary still looks lost. Not sure if those shortcomings are due to talent or scheme. Ulbrich can take a hike at the end of the year if the Jets still are in the bottom echelon of defenses in the league. The scrub OLine actually made Breece look slower on his cuts although I rarely saw him hit the hole when one was available. Mann remains the punter and I think we're good with either guy as a place kicker although I forgot which one actually made the endzone on a KO.

Streveler over Mike "the legend" White. Knight over Coleman.

SOJAZ, Section 336, IDFjet and 5 others like this.
  4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Everyone thought White had the "it" factor when he tore up the Bengals. That's far more impressive than anything Streveler has done.

5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Here are my thoughts, many along the same lines.
    1- We traditionally start out looking like we are un prepared for our opponent. Sure, no game planning and all that, but that is not an excuse. We practice better than we play. That is on the coaches more than on the players.
    2- Hall had his absolute worst game as a Jet. He was totally out of synch, out of position, and "scared stepping" as Pitts put it. He is not our starting CB period. Sauce was the right pick and stand behind it.
    3- There will be some tough cuts as we approach the 53
    4- White, Shepard, Wesco, might be on the bubble and on their way out.
    5- Marshall, Cage, Anae, Perine, Mimms are showing enough to make the team. Mimms needs to play smarter on special teams and avoid stupid penalties.
    5- Clemons is playing well, but so is JJ. JJ has a knack to flush the QB out of the pocket, he just needs to leverage more power along with his moves.
    6- Preseason and all, but I'm totally up in the air about our DC. I don't see him as the scheme guru that will outsmart and outplay opponents. He gives me the impression his game plan is one size fits all.
    7- Both kickers are good enough to start for us
    8- We clearly have a surplus of great DL and a shortage of solid OL. Paper thing depth. May be a trade for a back up

#5 LAJet, Aug 23, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2022
  6. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

He was also having some success against the Colts (if I remember correctly, his last pass was a TD) before he got hurt. But that Bills game...........woof!

Streveler has certainly made the most of his opportunities but come on folks. Another John Riggins scenario playing out this ain't.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  7. Cman68

Nope... White had his 15mins of fame and hasn't really done shit since. Streveler has won 2 games coming in after halftime down mulitple scores. IMO, that's more impressive than a 1 off performance by a guy who's had many chances to start for teams. One other thing no one mentions... Streveler played on a CFL Championship team. It isn't the NFL, but winning a Championship in any professional sport counts for something..

Brook!, tomdeb, Royal Tee and 4 others like this.
  8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

White threw for 400 yards against the AFC champions. Streveler has had two good halves in the preseason against third stringers. This isn't close to comparable.

westiedog1, Ralebird, azhar80 and 7 others like this.
  9. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Agree that Streveler is making a strong case to stick. They looked completely different with him at QB. He uses his legs well but still keeps his eyes downfield. I would say at least one of those heave-ups were questionable, but not egregious. If I needed to make a decision right now, it would be Streveler, but the next week matters. Regardless, I would try to keep both of them, roster or practice squad, but could be tough. Look at the Falcons third QB compared to the Jets. What a difference

RB is interesting. Perine has made some nice plays and Tevin Coleman looks good when he's in there too. Zonovan Knight also looked okay but not sure it's enough to stick.

Mims looks rosterable to me, but the mistakes and special teams are an issue. Plus, Irvin Charles and Tarik Black don't look bad nor does Jeff Smith. Saw nothing from Calvin Jackson after some nice moments last week and in camp too, I believe.

If Cager shows up again, I think he might force their hand to keep him. I haven't noticed if his blocking is anywhere near decent.

Wesco's days are probably numbered. Nice to see Yeboah. He was an interesting prospect until the Jets got an infusion of youth and talent at TE. I'd keep him on the practice squad

Tough cuts coming at edge! Nice to have riches there.

Interesting that Nathan Shepherd looks to be falling down the depth chart. It seems like the Jets liked him more than those watching the games until recently. Tanzel Smart and Jonathan Marshall definitely stood out more and can't imagine Shepherd makes the team over them at this point.

Jamien Sherwood made some nice plays. He looks further along than Hamsah.

The secondary was way too easily picked apart, even if it was backups against starters. It seemed to persist until Felipe Franks, who is just awful, came in. I hope Ulbrich has this defense looking much better than that come week one

Ashtyn Davis is invisible back there when he's in (which was very late in this game). Not that that's always a bad thing for a safety, but he doesn't make any plays whatsoever whereas others stood out at times. I think Joyner, Pinnock, Parks and maybe even Riley and Tony Adams are ahead of him.

Good to see Joyner out there again, even if he may have been out of position... I'm sure he's rusty after a year out

Not sure about Zuerlein vs Piniero. Kinda think Zuerlein has the edge but not by much

tomdeb, ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  10. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I have to say I really appreciate your insights and well thought out posts.

11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

People are way to reactionary over a preseason game where our second second string started against their first string.

I've been seeing second half QBs tear it up around the league, and for good reason. It means next to nothing until they succeed against actual NFL defenses. I like Streveler but its pretty obvious we don't know him that well yet. We know more about White and that he needs some help to succeed. He didn't have much to work with against true starters. Without Moore, Davis, Conklin, or any of our starters up front he was about what I'd expect.

We know who Hall is - a decent CB who is over his head against the likes of Pitts. But he's not trash. He's a pretty good #3 CB. Relax folks, he's not the starter. Would have been interested to see Sauce match up against Pitts more.

westiedog1, azhar80, FJF and 2 others like this.
  12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

This is a competition for a 3d string QB. Streveler has now stacked two solid preseason performances while White underwhelmed so far given a lot of reps. At the very least I think everyone agrees, even whose who initially thought White would should start game 1 over Flacco, is that Flacco is clear #2. And Streveler is now in the legitimate conversation for #3 over White. Something that two weeks ago, when Saleh was saying we have "3 starters", while Streveler's biggest accomplishment was coming in and doing well as a sub in CFL championship game, wasn't in the cards. One more game like this from both While and Streveler, and Streveler could make the active roster over Mike. Waiving him and getting back into the practice squad could be difficult.

SOJAZ, tomdeb and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

He gave up a TD also to another player, not just a big play to Pitts. Not his greatest performance.

ColoradoContrails and ouchy like this.
  14. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

JJ has a neck to flush the QB out of the pocket

If anyone has a neck to flush a QB it's Clemons :)

[​IMG]

15. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

JJ must have had hidden production because his name doesn't even show up on the stat chart.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  16. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

he's been weirdly quiet

ouchy likes this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

FIFY.

While the Bengals were obviously playing much better than they did the previous year, they were still building their strength and the Jets caught them flatfooted. White did a great job of taking advantage of that, but he reverted to form once everyone caught on. Streveler has a much better arm and a knack for making plays when things break down; White is programmed to carry out the game plan and to avoid T.O. at all costs. If the Jets have the lead a guy like White is a good choice behind the Center, but if they're playing from behind - and you know they will often be - someone with the mindset and physical abilities to improvise is the better choice IMO.

White has been a good and loyal soldier and it sucks to think of just cutting him if they can't get anything for him, but it also wouldn't be fair to him to "hide" him on the taxi squad and deny him a chance to find a better role elsewhere.

SOJAZ and Borat like this.
  18. Cman68

Browning Nagle had a game like that too. Didn't end well. White had a career day but you can't live forever off that. White hasn't come close to those numbers since. What has White done lately to be gifted the #2 Qb spot? Not a damn thing is the answer. So far this preseason, White hasn't moved the team or put the team in position to win a game be it against starters or 2nd line guys.

JetFanInPA and Borat like this.
  19. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Most teams have their QB depth pretty well in hand. Except Atlanta, whose 3rd stringer was behind Josh Rosen last year. If given the chance I can see them scooping up either White or Streveler. IMO one of these QBs isn't going to be with this organization come opening day. However, if our 3rd stringer is that important we have real problems.

20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Agreed. Yes, that one White game is more than what Streveler has ever accomplished in his life, but it was still just one game. What have you done for me lately? And lately White played like shit while Streveler actually outperformed him in preseason by a wide margin. There is still time though to change the narrative. Good performance by White next week, and he is clearly ahead of Streveler again. But right now the choice for 3d string is not so obvious to me.

ColoradoContrails and Cman68 like this.