Schefter: Zach Wilson with Bone Bruise & Meniscus Tear (out 2-4 weeks)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Aug 13, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Because they were usually down 21 points after 3 possession. Did you even watch the games or are you just looking at stats?

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

the offense played their part in that, going 3 and out and giving the ball right back

Ralebird likes this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

yes but Brad they couldn’t run the ball because the defense wasn’t afraid of the short passing game at all.

You have to keep them honest some how, make the linebackers and safeties guard the passing game. They weren’t worried because even if they got caught guessing run on a pass play, the pass would end up in the dirt anyway

4. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I can recall one game where we were down 14 points before Zach threw his 1st pass and another game against the Eagles where Zach led the offense to 3 TDs in the 1st 3 drives but we were still losing after those 3 TDs. It is said that a defense is a young QBs best friend while a bad defense is their worst nightmare.

Football is complimentary. Having the worst defense in the league, the worst supporting cast, the most drops, an OL that cannot block and facing the hardest defenses (according to PFF) of any QB in the league will make it a lot harder to succeed. No one is denying Zach played poorly and has a lot to improve upon but we have to look at things in context and as Chrebet said you cannot make a judgment on a QB when he is running for his life every play. I don't think Zach will succeed. The odds are against him and any young qb coming to a bad team but we also have to recognize the situation he was in.

This year with a proper supporting cast he should have a better opportunity to succeed or fail and we should be able to make a better judgment if he is indeed making progress or if he is terrible.

#444 Noam, Aug 20, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2022
    cval, WilsonJetsFan, LAJet and 3 others like this.
  5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Well said @Noam . Agreed with everything, except I believe he will succeed this season and take a leap forward. There is only one way to find out.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Brad hasn’t been fair to Wilson but he is correct in that the Jets are running a stupid fucking offense as it pertains to his skill set. He is not a WCO passer despite the amount of people here that jerked off to his supposed accuracy. He needs to be in a big play action offense based off the run game and throwing the ball 20-25 times a game with an emphasis on big plays.

The Jets tried forcing him into completing 6 yard passes marching down the field like he’s Brady.

All of the comments on the running game and defense sucking are true too which doesn’t help. We’ll see if they adjust and they definitely invested in fixing those things to help the young QB.

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Not disagreeing at all , but aside from Moore who missed a lot of games, there weren’t a lot of chunk play type players available last year. I think we’re in much better shape to push the ball down field with the addition of Gw and Conklin threatening the seam.

8. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I think his memory is a little off. We were beating the Eagles 18-14 after the 3rd TD early in the 2nd quarter - not losing. After that our drives were 3 and out, End of half, 3 and out, interception, turnover on downs, 8 plays/time expired. The defense wasn't great but our offense completely wilted midway through the 2nd quarter.

9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

We saw what happened early last season when he was chucking balls downfield, and it wasn't pretty.

10. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I hope I'm not proven right about wanting Lance over Wilson.

11. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Lance is a complete work in progress. The guy has thrown a handful of passes on a competitive level since high school. 318 pass attempts in his 3 year career at NDS to be exact. You think Wilson is shakey or bad in this offense, Lance would atrocious on epic levels.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

@Panthers - 37 passes, 6 sacks, 17 runs
    Patriots - 33 passes, 4 sacks, 31 runs
    @Broncos - 35 passes, 5 sacks, 13 runs
    Titans - 34 passes, 1 sack, 25 runs
    Falcons - 32 passes, 2 sacks, 18 runs

It's like the Jets were playing Madden 2021 and the opponents were playing NFL football.

Seriously, who in their right mind does this with a rookie QB coming out of second-tier competition to the NFL?

The answer BTW is an inexperienced coaching staff that hasn't had the responsibility for stabilizing a team in the past. Nobody from the GM on down had any clue what they were doing last season because none of them had ever done it in the past.

ouchy likes this.
  13. Br4d

If it makes you feel any better everybody but the Jags and the Pats were out of their depth on the QB's last season. The 49ers made riskier moves than anybody else with the trade-up to 3 to take Lance.

The only reason the Pats move stood up was that Belichik new exactly what he was getting in Mac Jones because of his close relationship with Nick Saban. There were no lies told and Belichik knew he was getting a serviceable game manager if he kept things mostly under wraps. He had already seen a player like that turn into Tom Brady, alongside a few that didn't become the GOAT and he took the chance.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The play design was awful though. Seven step play action drops on the first or second play of the first or second series. LaFleur would call those on back to back plays too when we had ran the ball less than we passed in the game so far.

I agree, but I think teams often fall into the trap of thinking they can’t throw the ball downfield because they don’t have a guy that can create 5 yards of separation and run wide open. Receivers can adjust and uncover themselves better than most teams think on 50/50 balls.

With that being said, our receivers have sucked for a long time.

FJF likes this.
  15. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

For the last 5 years we've gone into the season saying or receiver room is great, and the next offseason saying they stunk. Usually as a way to justify crappy QB play.

16. Br4d

10 years+

Jets-N-Terps likes this.
  17. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

There is no way I can go back thru 24 pages to find out if this question has been discussed or not.

What happens if Flacco goes out and slings the rock all over the field and is actually putting together what looks like an NFL offense? What happens if Flacco wins game 1 because Zach isn't ready to go?

By the sounds of it, Flacco is looking legit in camp and listening to the multiple interviews with the wideout's they sound impressed with Flacco

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  18. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

i say at that point it’s his job to lose winning and forming an identity is bigger than just one player. I wouldn’t risk it and that one decision affects many other players and the team. But that’s just my opinion

blackssmagic and Ralebird like this.
  19. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

This is the best I've felt about our WR group since 2015.

Jets79, ouchy, JETFUEL1580 and 3 others like this.
  20. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

Easy. You do nothing about it and insert Wilson when he’s back healthy. You don’t start a has-been, end of the road, almost retired qb over the idea of finding out if your number 2 pick is a franchise qb. This can’t be a serious question

KY Jets Fan and Acad23 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.