Starting Defense

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by teamgreen, Aug 13, 2022.

1. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

2. ukjetsfan

It's not an argument, it's a discussion, and I like talking about football, so...

3. ukjetsfan

I've heard this before, but Revis did not take away half the field. He took away one player.

I'm not arguing that you don't need good corners. I just think that a premium pick like No. 4 in the draft should be allocated elsewhere if possible. A quarterback, an offensive tackle, an edge rusher... I would take all of these over a corner, all other things being equal. It looks like the Jets had a chance to take an elite offensive tackle, an elite edge rusher or an elite corner. We won't know for sure until these guys have played, but I think a cornerback was the wrong choice. I still hope Sauce turns out to be a great player, of course.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. nysportsvids

nysportsvids Member

Fine, even if I agree to u that a corner doesn’t take away half the field, I still think it’s more valuable than an edge rusher- even if u have an edge rusher that’s good against the run also, he’s much more of just an all around “game wrecker” who can have a major impact multiple plays a game- but a corner taking away ur number 1 target, that’s so much harder for the opposing team to gameplan for- of course an elite edge is also extremely hard to gameplan against, but I feel like when ur going into the week and you know ur best receiver is going to be nonexistent, that’s really tough

ukjetsfan likes this.
  5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

He often took away their best player.

6. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

A shut down corner will often times free up the free-safety to cheat up towards the LOS to provide an extra man against the run, TEs, wheel routs, etc.

Now back to Quincy plowing Hurtz out of bounds. Remember last year against the Jags when Zack was running along the sidelines and Jag after Jag pulled up to avoid the late hit flag? Zack just kept bouncing back in-bounds and ran a 50+ yard TD. Quincy was having none of it. When you have a clean shot at the Qb, you lower your head and take him out. Now, I don't think Quincy knew in the flash-moment that Hurtz was a full 2 yards out of bounds, as Quincy had his head down and kept running for the tackle. Yes, he has to be smarter and watch out for the sidelines a bit more, but give him credit for playing hard and fast. BAM!!!

7. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

huh? You saying there isn’t any good corners who do that now? Don’t agree with that

8. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

i agree because even tho there are others players. The best player or best WR is who a QB is looking to go to and make a play most times. If you can basically take away, you can have a D that is roaming around more freely and making plays causing distribution

9. ukjetsfan

I agree, but my point (and it's just something I'm sort of thinking through as this debate continues, it's not something I would want to argue about) is that you could also say their receiver was taking away our best player! I think it is a net zero result. It's not like their best player just disappeared from the game... he took our best player with him. I think a dominant edge takes more of a bite out of an offense, whether he hits the QB or not - he will be double-teamed on every play, sometimes even a tight end will chip him as well or a back will stay in to pick him up if he gets through. That's two or three players focussed entirely on him, making it a 9-on-10 game, or even 8-on-10.

Ralebird likes this.
  10. ukjetsfan

I can agree with some of this, but Quincy should have known where Hurts was, that's a responsibility every player has when he steps on the field. Hurts was out of bounds so Quincy did not have a chance for a clean shot. He also lowered his head to deliver a helmet-to-helmet blow, in this current era of concerns over concussions. I think it was a really bad play.

11. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

Our underwhelming secondary play last year was a major reason our D sucked so bad. Not just in the pass game, but also in the run game, because safeties and linebackers were having to stay back and help the pass D instead of focusing more on run D. For at least one side of the field, a great corner not only makes plays when he needs to make plays, but the safeties and LBs don't have to worry about backing him up in the same way, so he frees the rest of the defense up to focus on other things. So, he makes everyone around him better at everything else.

Obviously, a great tackle is equally critical to the offense. No explanation required.

The right answer in the draft was not a function of which position you think was more important. The right answer was, IMHO, a function of (a) how JD graded Sauce vs Icky, and (b) how confident JD was in the strength of each position if you didn't use the #4 pick on that position. I'm not a scout, obviously, but I did review a lot of film on both, and Sauce stood out to me more than any other athlete in the draft. Based on the fact that JD chose Sauce at 4, as well as their comments on draft night that Sauce was always their #1, I suspect JD and Saleh felt the same way. So, factor (a) goes to Sauce. As for factor (b), our CBs were bad last year. I'm not sure what available veteran CB JD could have picked up if we didn't get Sauce. On the other hand, there was hope that Becton might be back, and if he wasn't back, Fant made a very good LT last year, and it was reasonable for JD to think he could pick up a solid tackle if need be -- he did it last year with Moses, and I think he did it again this year with Brown although we'll have to see how that plays out.

There's no perfect answer when you have as many needs as we did, but Sauce is going to be an exciting player for a long time. I think you add that kind of player when you have the chance. There will be many ways to shore up the LT spot. You can't fix everything at once.

12. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I don't think it works like that. In this scenario our CB isn't going anywhere, he's doing exactly what he's supposed to do. It's the equivalent of the WR catching TD after TD. The WR is doing nothing that he wants to do while the CB is solely doing what he wants to do.

Footballgod214 and westiedog1 like this.
  13. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more and what is more disconcerning from my perspective is, I just listened to our DC's presser and he says, "our starting D has some spacing and assignment issues....(NOT GET THIS NEXT COMMENT).... but our youg guys came in and cleaned up those issues 2-3-4 qrt," Say what? Is it me of is this guy smoking dope... if your starters are making the same fking mistakes as last year... and your NEW guys aren't... shouldn't they be starting?

As for the HC, he needs to ST*U and get his team ready to play. His act is already wearing thin.

Cman68, nysportsvids and westiedog1 like this.
  14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I had to make myself stop watching anything with Ulbrich in it. He is offensively stupid.

Cman68 and REVISion like this.
  15. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

Yes it id make them furious, and rightly so. Actually, I thought it might have been tossed from the game worthy, and a fine.

dawinner127 likes this.
  16. ukjetsfan

Has there really not been a fine for a deliberate helmet-to-helmet hit on a quarterback, out of bounds?

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Yes it was just completely unnecessary.

I am often sympathetic to defensive players just trying to make a play and getting flagged but that one was 100% a bonehead cheap shot by Quincy Williams

dawinner127 likes this.
  18. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I realize I'm watching a pre-season game and may only see the starters on a limited basis. But, what about the depth?? With a 17 game season injuries are going to happen. Is this the depth? Yeah, we may have drafted well this year. Where is the depth? We won the game but we were "owned" the entire first half and most of the 2nd. This team's lack of depth WILL come back to haunt us in the season.

19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I can see our 2023 draft going almost entirely to the defense

20. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

LBs and maybe a safety will be a need. The DL though has some good young players and depth especially if Johnson pans out.

I think OL will be a need too. It looks like they will need a long term replacement for Becton and a center as McGovern will be a FA.

ColoradoContrails likes this.