Schefter: Zach Wilson with Bone Bruise & Meniscus Tear (out 2-4 weeks)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Aug 13, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

well part of being a franchise QB is the ability to stay on the field

dmw and NYJetsO12 like this.
  2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Jimmy Garoppolo is Rex Grossman.

Jojo, cval and FJF like this.
  3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Not close to a comparison. Stats and wins do matter when you compare QB's.

The injury factor with Garoppolo is very real and he is an imperfect option. However when your choice is between imperfect options and outright bad options you're much better off with the guy who smells a little now and then as opposed to the guy who stinks.

RonPi and NYJetsO12 like this.
  4. Br4d

You guys who are optimistic should spend a lot less time talking to the guys who aren't.

We have the facts on our side in the debate and until the facts line up with the optimists it's better you just stop ragging on those of us who are just reporting what we see.

This is one of those "better to keep my mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubts" moments. It's also bad form.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

I believe the sample size was way too small to draw any conclusions based on Zack's play against the Eagles. We certainly dodged a bullet by his injury not being as serious as originally feared. Zack has a lot to prove this season; both in terms of improved play and durability.

6. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

most definitely, no argument from me. I just find it asinine to make such bold claims after 13 games when the kid was 22 and just turned 23 two weeks ago.

Noam likes this.
  7. Br4d

It's easy to say this but when it quacks like a duck it's usually a duck.

We know that when Zach played at speed last season trying to make things happen he threw picks. That's what he was doing against the Eagles and it took 5 passes for him to get picked.

Usually there has to be some significant change to make things stop happening the way they are. Last season after the injury Zach was *very* cautious with his throws. This meant that both his completion percentage and his yards per attempt went down after he came back. No more silly picks but a lot of the life went out of the offense as well.

Odds are pretty good that he is going to have to slow down to avoid picks in this offense. That's a really good argument for changing the offense.

HomeoftheJets and NYJetsO12 like this.
  8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

So I get Ralebirds frustration and understand your response

But sorry 127 I have to compare him to other rookies...is Wilson at the same point Burroughs was at for his age? Look at what the Pats did with Mac Jones ...also a rookie???

I am just so tired of the "wait and see" dialogue never ending for this Team

Successful teams can move on from bad picks eg the Browns saying goodbye to Mayfield and getting D Watson or the Colts getting M Ryan

I want something that for once in my Jet lifetime works out for christsake:/

Jojo likes this.
  9. cval

cval Well-Known Member

You should take your own advice. Reporting what you see? How many practices have you been to this camp. You are seeing 5 passes? Give me a break. You did not even watch the games last season. Your mind was made up before we even drafted him. You have turned into a troll.

You answer is Jimmy G (lol) we already have Flacco what is the difference? If Zach busts Jimmy G is not the answer.

How about you give it a rest and hope Zach gets healthy and Pan's out.

#169 cval, Aug 15, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
    Borat and Jeff M like this.
  10. BrowningNagle

That's a really good point. I'm not sure why the Wilson fan club sees the need to try to convince everyone else of their unsubstantiated optimism

legler82, Ralebird and jets_fan like this.
  11. dawinner127

Burrow was a sure fire thing, Wilson was never the same prospect that Burrow was. Majority of people wanted Zach to sit for a year before being thrown into the fire with a dumpster fire of a roster.

Let's see what Mac does in year 2 b/c Mac wasn't asked to do much for that team to win. He was also the most ready QB out of the 5 who came out last year. They also spent the most money out of any team last offseason and have arguably the best Coach ever. FWIW, the Pats were 2-7 when the D gave up more than 14 points.

You really just called the Browns successful? They have been a dumpster fire for nearly 20 years and now have one of the most insane stories ever with their starting QB.

stinkyB likes this.
  12. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

It's all about context. No one is judging Zach and saying he will be great because of his very good camp nor should we judge him based off two bad passes. What we should look for are trends. Is he stacking good day after good day? Is he making progress in camp? Here we should be encouraged. Yes, the injury stinks and takes away momentum and preparation for him but it could be a lot worse and it could have been the entire year. Stealing from the Xfactor podcast (thanks for posting that Borat) people were writing Jamar Chase off after his pre-season last year, J. Allen had 4 or 5 TO's in week 1 of season 2. We need to look at the entire body of work of season 2 and see if we see progress and improvement. I am fairly down on Zach and think the odds are against him but I don't believe in per-judging him. I was happy with his improvement last year but think we need to see a lot more in terms of consistent play, better footwork, better accuracy and getting the ball out quickly. I don't knee if we will see that. There will be a lot of adversity this year and opportunities for things to go very badly. Being a bad team usually is not good for a young QB's development. But, if he can end up a top 20-25 QB this year that will our best QB performance since 2008 absent the Fitz year and will give me optimism for year 3.But, again we need patience and we need to look at his body of work fairly and not rush to judgment because of 2 throws. Making judgments because of two throws in a pre-season game whether good or bad said to me you already made your conclusion a long time ago. Look at rends and his body of work. It has been positive all off-season. Let's hope that continues when he comes back.

Borat and cval like this.
  13. dawinner127

The posters like Brad and Ralebird who are so convinced the Wilson is Ryan Leaf are just as bad as the ones proclaiming Wilson is the next Patrick Mahomes or Aaron Rodgers. It's asinine in both directions. Majority of the people arguing with those two posters just want patience before declaring him a bust. He is 23 and played 13 games.

stinkyB, FJF and cval like this.
  14. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

To be fair. The last injury was pure fluke.

cval likes this.
  15. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

I agree with you, that if he plays too cautiously it will stymie the offense; but I'm counting on the better talent he's
    surrounded by affording him the opportunity to help him slow things down and
    learn to play more efficiently, without completely neutering his arm talent and athleticism.

16. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Who are these posters claiming Zach is the next Mahomes? I don't see any posters saying that Zach will even be a good QB rather people acknowledge the good, the bad the trends and try to look at things in context rather than pre-judging. There aee lots of people that like his talent, like him as a prospect, make comparisons to his play style, but I don't see anyone pre-judging Zach as a sure thing. Rather the opposite people are saying be patient, let's see his body of work and see if there is actual improvement. At most I see hope for optimism not conclusions of how good or bad he will be.

#176 Noam, Aug 15, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
    Not Sure and cval like this.
  17. BrowningNagle

I think he's always going to have injury troubles. He is small and holds onto the ball too long

18. Br4d

And he uses his legs a lot, which takes him out of the pocket and into the open field contact that generally leads to lower leg injuries.

19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Enjoy being miserable - that's your reality. You constantly ignore every evidence provided, then project onto others to not be objective. Oh, and found your quote when it looked like Zach was done for the season. As always, you turned out full of it:

Heck, maybe Zach's injury will turn out worse than anticipated during the surgery, Saleh did say we are not yet out of the woods, that should feed your misery. Fingers crossed, right?

Noam likes this.
  20. BrowningNagle

Has the NY media asked the Jets staff why Wilson's waiting until Tuesday for surgery when he was injured on a Friday night?

The first game is now only 27 days away, every single day is important.

Ralebird likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.