Starting Defense

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by teamgreen, Aug 13, 2022.

1. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I'm no expert... but he looks pretty polished in that small sample size.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  2. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

We’ll have to wait and see with Qwon - if he can stay on the field. The converted safeties I really don’t see lasting long unless for depth purposes.

Let me put it this way - I think adding Reed and Sauce improves the secondary by leaps and bounds. I would like to see JD do something similar in regards to the LBs.

As for this year 2022 I guess we’re gonna have to hope Kwon stays healthy and I’m hoping an improved pass rush helps as well.

3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Still need hard hitters over the middle.

SOJAZ likes this.
  4. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

The more time passes the more convinced I am that Saleh has Nick Bosa to thank for most of his career and reputation as a defensive mind.

Quincy is an issue. Oh wow he hits hard, who cares? Plays with way too little discipline. 15 yard penalties are game changers, they should basically never happen. That's the kind of penalty Belichick would cut a guy for.

Jojo likes this.
  5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Hey sorry Roach...not following your post

Who / what are you referring to about

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Referring to about.

7. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Interesting to see JJ and Clemons getting reps inside at 3 tech against Philly. Clemons with 7 pressures a sack and 2 run stops had a pretty impressive game. Also interesting to see Zuniga build on his great camp with a pretty dominant game with 5 pressures and should throw T. Smart in there with an unexpected good game. I have to believe everyone assumed Zuniga was gone and cutting him was not require any thought. I don't see a path for him to make the roster but he has suddenly made things difficult for the CS.

SOJAZ and LAJet like this.
  8. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Don't forget Saleh's motto: "All gas no brake..." Not sold on Saleh either, but will give him a mulligan for last season.

The Quincy penalty was bad granted, however, I was quite impressed by the overall lack of penalties committed by the Jets. They had only 4 which is remarkable for a preseason game. So I'll give the CS credit for that.

SOJAZ, LAJet and themorey like this.
  9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Great point about Zuniga and Smart. Is interesting to see the dilema for us this year, unlike before, we have more talent but is uneven, where we have extra depth in some areas, potentially having to shed players that can actually fill a back up roll or starting well, like TE, RB, Edge, even WR, and areas like DT/LB and OL where we are struggling quite a bit to get a consistent base.

Jets79, westiedog1 and Noam like this.
  10. Jojo

Jojo Well-Known Member

Clemmons will be a awesome player. The defense looks just as lost and confused as ever. Huge gaps in secondary, I just dont believe in this defense UNTIL it shows otherwise. Especially ULBRICH.

SOJAZ, westiedog1 and Acad23 like this.
  11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

My two cents. I rewatched every single highlight with Sauce I could find. At least 10 different plays and I was marveled at his coverage skills for a rookie. He seems to be at exactly the right place, right time, anticipating moves through out the play like glue. This kid in my opinion will be beyond special. He is a natural. Now, conversely, the middle of the field looks like no man’s land with nothing by WRs roaming freely as it could possibly be. Not sure if we are trying to keep things beyond basic but more likely we have LBs that are poor as hell in pass coverage, a long time problem with us.

#51 LAJet, Aug 15, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
  12. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I couldn't watch the game and when I heard about the injury I did a search on the net, which led me to the swamp, I mean twitter. Eagles fans were claiming they had to sit Hurts because we were cheap shotting bastards and the injury to Zach was our karma. I didn't see the late hit but apparently it made them furious.

#52 ouchy, Aug 15, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
  13. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree with this 100 per cent. It was incredibly stupid and dangerous to both players. The moron lowered his head for a helmet-to-helmet blow. In the current climate that was just such a ridiculous thing to do. I thought he should have been benched after that play. Has he been fined by the league? I'm sure he will be.

themorey likes this.
  14. ukjetsfan

He looked like glue on some of those plays, but he also looking VERY handsy. Flags will be thrown when passes start coming his way.

Jets79 likes this.
  15. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

There was one play in which Hurts threw a pass that seemed to whiz by Sauce's head intended and caught by a receiver further downfield. I was disappointed Sauce didn't make a play on it based on all his hype, but maybe he didn't see it coming or maybe the pass was higher than it looked on TV. It would have been a great play even if he knocked it down. Otherwise, your observations of the rest of the Jets pass defense is spot on.

16. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I remember that play. The receiver was wide open. Someone had to have blown coverage.

westiedog1 likes this.
  17. ukjetsfan

I could understand them being angry. It was a ludicrous hit and Saleh should have made a statement by benching Williams.

18. ukjetsfan

I agree on Sauce, but I also think this epitomises something I've thought for a while. All a great corner can do is turn it into a game of your other 10 players against their other 10 players. If everyone else is mediocre, you still have a mediocre defense. Sauce looked great, yet the Eagles gained chunks of yardage at will by looking elsewhere. A great pass-rusher does more than make it a 10-on-10 game. He blows up the opposing offense. No corner does that. Not even Revis did that at his peak. I'm hoping to love Sauce as a player, but KT at the No.4 spot would have meant no trade up which might have netted us a good back-up right tackle and an extra player too, maybe a linebacker. That would be looking nice right now.

ColoradoContrails, Jets79 and LAJet like this.
  19. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

Quote shoulbe "A monkey could run AGAINST our defense". They were pitiful again Friday night, albeit only being PSG 1 for 2 series. I saw the same crap we saw all last season, and I do not expect it to change much unfortunately. Ulbrich is not a good DC and i am really starting to question Saleh the Salesman as a HC.

westiedog1 likes this.
  20. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

FCK that, this garbage organization is not worth the price of a new TV :)