Deja vu all over again…

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NJJets, Aug 13, 2022.

1. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I just don’t understand why every GM we’ve had that drafts a top QB then proceeds to play stupid games on offense. Here we are with a struggling #2 overall drafted QB and what do we do to help him out? Use our #4 overall on a CB and let his starting RT walk. And for what, because JD couldn’t let go of the fact he made a mistake with Becton. Let’s be real clear-if you thought Becton was going to contribute anything worthwhile this season you were being stupid and delusional. There was no need to name Becton the starter at RT. Moses was perfectly good there. Becton could have come in and taken the job from Moses if he was healthy and committed, of which he obviously was neither.

Morgan Moses was our starter, and we should have paid him the measly amount of money he wanted to be a starter. For fuck sakes because we let Moses go we ended up having to pay a 37yo guy off the streets 25% more money for one less year than Moses got from BAL. We could have offered Moses 22m and actually have gotten a full 3 years of stability at RT. But wait, there’s more!!! The aging 37yo off the streets plays LT, so now we’re actually weakening ourselves at both ends of the line since Fant is better than Brown at LT and not as good as Moses at RT.

When will the idiots that run our team realize you have nothing until you have a QB. Building a “balanced” team is worthless if you don’t have a QB. CB’s and pass rushers are useless for anything but entertainment unless you have a successful QB, and the way you develop a successful young QB is to stack the offense everywhere, especially OL. So what does our dipshit GM do? Leaves our prized QB running around behind a 4th round rookie RT, and shocking he was running for his life aaaaaaanndd pop goes the knee. Zach Wilson was injured due to Joe Douglas’s ego.

#1 NJJets, Aug 13, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2022
    mrmajix likes this.
  2. cval

cval Well-Known Member

You are the clueless not the people running the team.

3. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

so you enjoyed watching Max Mitchell blocking for our franchise QB? You enjoy having a GM put all his eggs in the basket of a guy who now won’t play for over 2/3’s of his 3 year career? You’re excited for Duane Brown at LT and Fant back at RT? That’s wise football to you?

4. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Can you prevent someone from creating threads?

5. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

A bit of accuracy please. The Jets have not had a franchise quarterback in decades.

6. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Lol, I stopped reading after you mentioned "franchise QB"

Jojo likes this.
  7. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I agree with you honestly, but if you’re going to invest the #2 overall pick on a QB, you need to invest everything you can to make him successful. The difference between most prospects is simply the environment they’re drafted into. If JD knew he was gonna let Moses walk then he had to draft Ekwonu. Without a QB Sauce Gardner is just about useless. Even if he plays like Revis if the QB struggles his first contract with us will be with a failed QB and probably the next regime’s QB prospect. What’s the point? At the very best right now we’re looking at 37yo Duane Brown at LT (Fant is a better LT at this stage but Brown doesn’t play RT and didn’t sign 2yr 22m to play RT), and now Fant will be our RT, which is a downgrade from Moses. Through complete ignorance and arrogance our LT and RT positions are now worse than last year. And this is all if Brown can even stay healthy at 37yo, in which case we’re looking at Mitchell or Edoga…. And then what you and I already know will be pushed out another year because the “it’s not Zach’s fault, the line sucks” brigade will be all over the place, and just like Douglas couldn’t admit his mistake on Becton, he sure as hell won’t admit his mistake on Zach.

8. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Not for nothing, but I too wanted an OT at 4 instead of a corner

9. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

This didn’t age too well

WilsonJetsFan and Noam like this.
  10. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

why, did we sign a competent RT?

11. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

I can see why but for what it's worth I did not want a OT at 4.
    Very few of these college OL come in ready to play. You have to develop these guys. In that sense I'm fine with the Max Mitchell's of the world but with injuries... Here we are

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It’s not the biggest issue with this team but he’s not wrong. Letting Moses walk to sign Brown was a silly move. Now we move Fant over to his less comfortable side and put our faith in a mercenary left tackle looking for one last pay day.

13. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Brown is better than Fant at LT and Fant is better than Moses at RT. What is the problem?

azhar80 and Nyjets4eva like this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

Fant was pretty bad at right tackle so I’m not sure how that’s true. Not to mention these are human beings not numbers on a stat sheet. It’s always better to keep a guy who have worked in the system than try to get cute and play merry-go-round with veterans.

Red Menace and ouchy like this.
  15. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

That was in a different blocking scheme under Gase and with GVR next to him. We should expect improvement in this system from his athleticism and by having AVT next to him.

16. Nyjets4eva

How can you say that and we haven’t even seen Brown play with Fant yet lol y’all Do realize it actually might be a better fit than with Becton. Your best asset is being available first

azhar80, KingRoach and cval like this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

Tackles don’t effect each other’s play so I’m not sure how them playing together would matter.

This is a fair point but pass blocking schemes are rarely much different. Fant didn’t look very comfortable dropping his right foot back as his swing foot like he did on the left side.

Hopefully the poison that was GVR had a lot to do with that shaky performance.

18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

If it makes anyone feel better, GVR is currently a Buffalo Bill. :)

themorey, Royal Tee and Acad23 like this.
  19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think I read the other day that he was already a bubble player. Good teams spot that level of suck pretty early.

themorey, Acad23 and ouchy like this.
  20. Nyjets4eva