Starting Defense

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by teamgreen, Aug 13, 2022.

1. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

I think Mac let him walk in 2016. It was sad watching him play for New England.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  2. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Well put. Here are the Eagles, an average team last year, yet their receivers are wide open and their QB, who the FO can't decide to keep or not, was 6/6 and a TD. On the other hand, our receivers were pretty well covered until the 3rd stringers took over. We all know Wilson is a question mark, but so is this coaching staff at this point.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

The LBs need to be revamped the entire position really.

4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

No question on the LB upgrade. I don't know if there is a direct correlation there but the middle of the field, a big issue last year still looks just as soft and painfully wide open all the time to me. I saw a bunch of catches right spot in the middle of the field without coverage within a 4 yard radius. I wonder if a trade is still in the cards

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Nakobe Dean looked freakin awesome the other night too

But Douglas wanted another running back

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I wanted Dean so damn badly.

7. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

I wanted Dean as well, but we can’t say Hall hasn’t looked good. And we won’t know what was a better pick for awhile

RochesterJet, mrjet80 and ouchy like this.
  8. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

And it wasn't Hall, it was the JJ trade up that cost us Dean, which really goes back to drafting Garret Wilson at 10.

Dean went pick 83 but getting JJ cost us picks 35 and 69. We could have gotten JJ at 10, a WR at 35, Hall at 36, and Dean at 69. Wilson was more expensive than just the 10th pick because we badly needed an edge and it forced another trade up.

Footballgod214 and Nyjets4eva like this.
  9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Look ...from what I recall the entire NFL commentary community thought the Jets graded an "A" on this draft and say a Bplus for free agents ..right?

I still think we look great on paper ....there are also NO excuses for R Saleh and company to game plan a few wins here

Maybe our 3rd string QB gets us a win here and there ...Flacco White Zach Wilson can't be relied on till I see differently

I thought / demanded 8 wins this regular season but now I have no clue if we score a few tDs and not just field goals..ugh

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  10. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I’m agree with not judging the D bc (more than) half the starters were held out…. but why doesn’t that apply the the LB core?

Two thirds of that group was held out last night.

11. KingRoach

I would also be upset if I made indirect or imaginary demands to a billion dollar company that didn’t know I existed.

Thoughts and Prayers

Noam likes this.
  12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

He did play - 11 snaps I think? No targets against. Reminds you of someone?

ouchy likes this.
  13. mrjet80

It does apply to them too but I also think they’re below average to begin with. Moseley is good but past peak, I don’t think Williams is starting material - he’s more of a depth piece - and I wasn’t a fan of this idea of converting college safeties to LBs. I don’t see Sherwood of Naserdeen? sticking around too long - at least not as starters.

Perhaps JD drafted those guys to experiment with while he addressed other areas of the team with higher draft picks. On paper the Jets have improved the secondary tremendously and the DL but still need impact players both inside and outside at LB - especially after Moseley is presumably released this coming offseason. So I’m assuming JD addresses the LB core this offseason in an attempt to finish the defensive rebuild for the most part.

14. KingRoach

If we sign a FA who’s been successful in this system, in his prime, for a decent 1 yr contract - would that change your mind about the group this season?

15. mrjet80

If you’re referring to Alexander yes a good signing considering a one year deal but he’s had some major injuries. I’d like to see him in action first - hopefully he has something left in the tank.

16. KingRoach

I’m going to come full circle and come back to the original question:
    I agree with not judging the D bc (more than) half the starters were held out…. but why doesn’t that apply the the LB core?

17. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

true we prob don’t get one without the other. Meaning every pick changes the next one and how teams have their board lined up. But we all wanted a pass rusher so we moved up to get one. I can’t be mad at this draft is pretty much what I’m saying. You can nitpick any pick especially after the fact. We have holes literally everywhere, I still think Jds vision of how to build a team has been the best we have had for a long time. Let’s see how we approach next draft and FA. Can’t do everything in two off seasons

KY Jets Fan and mrjet80 like this.
  18. KingRoach

19. mrjet80

When did I say it didn’t? I realize Moseley and Alexander didn’t play. As I said I hope Alexander still has something in the tank. But on paper the LB unit is the thinnest. I saw way too many TEs running free in the middle of the field last year…. foo many open spaces. The Jets need a lot of help at that position even with those two in there. Moseley is past his peak and we’re not sure what Alexander brings to the table at this point. Do you consider Quincy starting material? I don’t ….

20. KingRoach

I’m going by when you said “the entire LB unit leaves a lot to be desired”

CJ is past his peak but still considered the top half of the league. Same is said of Qwon. Neither are coming off years with big injuries. I think Williams is rough and the 2 converted S need some time to develop a little more but since the majority of time, we’ll only have 2 lbs on the field, no I don’t think the group is subpar.