Schefter: Zach Wilson with Bone Bruise & Meniscus Tear (out 2-4 weeks)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Aug 13, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Well, how about 2 passes and two INT, then torn ACL? Some of you guys seem to want to lose, so that we keep the misery. I thought I saw @Ralebird actually gloating when it looked like he tore ACL that these of us who thought we would beat Vegas odds would not think so any longer. It's like you want to be miserable, because we are the Jets fans and that's what the Jets fans do. Granted, I can't blame you for that, but still... Let's at least wait until a few games of the regular season.

As far as Zach's performance, yes had he had a good one it would have been better. He stacked quite a few good days in a row, and it would have been better to add another one. He didn't. Threw a bad pick, but didn't really get to finish out second drive because of injury. All some of us are saying is that it does not mean he sucks. He is a young second year player, and he will have some bad days still, but he had enough of good ones to have some optimism. Yes, even in spite of throwing a pick amongst the 5 passes he got to play in a preseason game.

cval and Noam like this.
  2. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Same. I’m sorry with two ILBs in your face, he tries to throw a quick curl route to Davis on the seam. This tells me he hasn’t yet fully realized the NFL game speed. LBs in the NFL faster as than most D1 Safeties and Corners, and definitely faster than BYU ones too. In Year 2 you can’t throw that pass at all. Year 1 i’ll give you a pass of course.

Folks can say it’s preseason - but it’s only 2-3 games where starters get the nod. then full season ahead. It’s clear Wilson is not ready for the 2022 season.

So letting him sit behind Flacco or even MW is the best option to me. He needs to be grounded for a bit, and really understand this probably his only chance. JD will move on in 2023, bring in competition and now his bum knee looks to be a recurring concern on his availability. Too much risk to not have real insurance.

Immediate winner: Mike White who gains a roster spot by default, and probably hungry to take his job.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

No, it is not clear. Mahomes had a pick in a 2018 preseason game against Falcons too, perhaps he also was not ready and should have been benched for that season? Not saying Zach will be Mahomes this season, but some of you guys are grossly overreacting to this one INT. Zach fucked up on the interception, we are all in agreement. This was a quick play for easy gain, and he didn't shake LB off with his eyes. He should have held gaze a bit longer on the left side, then moved to the right, and would get easy 7-8 yards. Instead he moved head left, but didn't hold gaze enough, and immediately went to the right, so LB never moved to the opposite side. He needs to work on that, and I am sure he will. That's why we have pre-season, joint practices, etc... In no way can we just make a conclusion now that the guy is not ready.

4. cval

cval Well-Known Member

News Flash,he will throw more bad picks. So will every QB in the NFL.

#124 cval, Aug 14, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
    hornblower, SOJAZ and Noam like this.
  5. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

You’re correct. Over analyzing this, though Mahomes is an exception. I just think if Zach plays controlled those big play opportunities will happen to showcase his arm.

6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

In 2018 Mahomes didn't have a full season starting under his belt like Zach does. In Mahomes first season starting he won the MVP. In Zach's first season he earned the lowest rated starting QB. They had completely opposite first years as a starter.

And that is the heart of he problem. We know its just preseason. But when we are looking for our second year QB to show improvement and instead get 1 pick in 5 attempts, its bad. That is a valid thing to criticize. People aren't upset that he threw an INT in preseason. They are upset that Zach still hasn't given us something to put our faith in. And now with a 2nd knee injury in 9 months forcing him to miss the rest of camp, its just so Jetsy.

Ralebird, NYJetsO12 and SOJAZ like this.
  7. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I have to say that for me personally losing Becton and Zach's tribulations this weekend have just shattered my confidence for 2022. And (by Jets fan standards at least) that had been sky high up till recently on the strength of what I felt was a fabulous offseason and draft.
    I'm really glad Wilson isn't out for the whole year. But at the same time I feel like this combined with Becton is just going to totally derail any momentum that hopefully could have happened this summer going into the real games. I'm sure the Jets will do the right thing (whatever that is) but I hope they don't rush Wilson back too quick. Flacco knows what he's doing, take time, make sure. Or at least try to make sure.

Jets-N-Terps and NYJetsO12 like this.
  8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I thought Zach looked mostly good in his limited reps on Friday night. Loved the first down pass to Conklin over the middle and his slant pass to Moore. Sailed a ball over Wilson's head and threw the interception because he did not identify the Eagle jumping the route. That happens. He just thought it would be an easy play. I really liked his elusiveness to avoid the pass rush on the play he was injured on too. He is a really talented player.

BradysTornACL, Noam and cval like this.
  9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Now, we need to be fair: KC was a much better team than the Jets and Mahomes had a whole year to learn under a very good player. That arguably is better for learning than starting on a crappy team as a rookie throwing to the likes of Tariq Black and Montgomery. And when Patrick did start that one game in a rookie year on a much better team, he wasn't all that great either, including, yes, a pick and no TDs. The point is that Mahomes was ready for the second year even though, gasp, he threw pick in preseason. And Mahomes ended up having an MVP year. I am not saying that means Zach will be Mahomes, or even that it was good that he threw a pick, just that it doesn't mean he will suck.

As far as giving something to put your faith in, I see your point, but Zach did have a lot of good days and he should be back soon. There was enough good to give at least some hope. I wouldn't say faith, but there are signs of life and I for one am cautiously optimistic. Whether the hope will be realized or not, this season is largely about evaluating whether Zach is our FQB, and we will find out soon enough. However, Saturday's pick in 5 passes does not complete Zach's evaluation, it doesn't even start it.

10. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I agree, he was setting down. He has not played in a real game in a while. He is a not a 13 year vet.

The Dark Knight and Noam like this.
  11. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Looks like surgery Tuesday. 4 Weeks puts us at 13th of Sept. I doubt he can be back before that. That means Flacco starts against Baltimore, and Zach will likely be back against either Browns or Bengals.

Noam likes this.
  13. onefanjet

onefanjet Well-Known Member

Agreed, I had a subtle meniscus tear this January in the portion that DOES have blood flow to it, and a bone bruise. I opted not to have surgery, ad it is steadily getting better, however I am not there yet (albeit I am older and not the muscle mass Zach has). I wonder what they will do, and how they come with such a quick timeline. If he has all or most of th meniscus removed, it will then likely lead to osteoarthritis (bone on bone) in the future..... lot of unknowns here...

Pepsiguy5, stinkyB and Acad23 like this.
  14. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I guess Zach's scrambling ability is on the back-burner...

That's too bad as he was good at it...
    made some nice plays with his legs and some nice throws on the move after getting blown out of the pocket.

Noam likes this.
  15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It is not I who have become insufferable. It is the Jets who have become insufferable.

ouchy and NYJetsO12 like this.
  16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

that’s way too optimistic if he’s not having surgery until Tuesday. I don’t expect him in the month of September

17. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

After what appeared to be a promising offseason, seeing Wilson throw one of his first passes in the first preseason game RIGHT TO the LB was certainly discouraging. Yes, I was against drafting him, but I'm not doing a victory lap. Just still not sure he will ever be as good as even Ken O'Brien. Hope I'm wrong!

NYJetsO12 and JETFUEL1580 like this.
  18. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Maybe we should give Kap a call?

19. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Wow plenty of gripes and debates already only 1 preseason game in.

Even if Zach and the Jets had a stellar game, it wouldn’t give me that much more optimism about the Jets season any more than if he and the Jets had a disaster game where I feel not much going for the upcoming season. It’s only one preseason game in and nothing is going to tell me what the upcoming season is going to look like. Stay grounded. Whether um anyone likes Zach or not, he s the franchise QB and see what happens when he comes back. Just chill folks and let’s see what happens by the end of Sept.

ouchy, Noam and JETFUEL1580 like this.
  20. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

It's because the team sucks. Again.

He may be the team's QB, but he's not a franchise QB. Not yet, he isn't.

Ralebird likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.