FA OT Duane Brown Signs with Jets.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, Aug 6, 2022.

1. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Fixed it for ya

K'OB and Noam like this.
  2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

At first, I thought man we shoulda kept moses. But moses signed a 3yr/15m, which pans out to $5m per. That's not much for a starting tackle. Basically, even the Ravens knew moses really ain't all that great, exactly what we saw last year. He was serviceable, but hardly elite. Really, Fant wasn't great either, but a bit better than moses.

Remember when we had Becton at LT and Fant was a converted TE brought in as our swing? Well, we still have a good LT and Fant gets to be our swing guy....just happens he has to swing over to RT. Our interior should still be good. Plus, we can post one of our new TEs on the RS to help out Fant on run plays and some pass plays if needed.

Guess fant shoulda signed one of JD's earlier offers. Held out one play too long. Now he's getting 'promoted' from head chef to dish washer....yikes.

3. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

thanks for the update

FJF likes this.
  4. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that. Very informative article. It appears he was a little above average but his win rate suggests he played even better. He should benefit playing next to Tomlinson and playing in the same system. If he can just be an average OT this year that would be a major win for the Jets and an upgrade over Moses who needed a lot of help last year from TEs.

I am really interested in seeing the contract numbers. Betting its just two years for cap purposes and most of the money is in year 2. But, let's see.

Borat likes this.
  5. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Because the team couldn't run the ball, pass the ball, or score. There was one game after Becton got hurt that I remember writing on this forum that it was the worst Jets offensive line I had ever seen (I've been a fan since 1985).

EDIT:
    Found it. It was after the Broncos game ...

https://forums.theganggreen.com/threads/joe-douglas.96218/page-18#post-4124400

"The thing that kills me about Douglas is that he was supposedly an offensive line guru and what was on the field today might be the worst offensive line in the history of the team."

6. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Well, the one thing we certainly don't have are:

1. FANS that have seen the team win a Super Bowl in their lifetimes.

7. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

We do exist!

8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Agreed - early in the season line was dog shit. I was specifically referring to the time period (second part of the year) when LDT replaced GVR. Rookie AVT also started poorly, but improved as the season went along. This season AVT is in the second year. LDT, who was good, was further upgraded with Tomlinson, the system is in the second year. I fully expect similar performance or better as we had starting around midseason, when LDT was a starter. The fact line sucked with GVR and first couple of games of AVT career is irrelevant now.

Noam likes this.
  9. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Sorry I saw the Jets win a Super Bowl.

Unhappyjetsfan and Borat like this.
  10. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Thoughts about what?

Are you kidding?? This is Excellent News!!

11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Wrong!

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Just amend it a little and it wouldnt be incorrect-

Well, the one thing we certainly don't have are:

1. YOUNG FANS that have seen the team win a Super Bowl in their lifetimes.

13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

My dad and the other guys in our season ticket group were alive for SBIII and just for context as to how long ago that was, we are all going to Green Bay this year because they want to experience Lambeau and they don't even know if they'll be able to get on a plane 8 years from now when the Jets are there again.

Unhappyjetsfan, Noam and LAJet like this.
  14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Its true that the line improved some with LDT, but it wasn't as large as people think. RG improved, but the overall line didn't very much. These are the week by week sack numbers, with the games LDT played in bold:

6, 4, 5, 1, 2, 1, 1, 2, 1, 2, 4, 2, 6, 3, 1, 1, 8

In the 9 games without LDT we had 26 sacks and the 8 games with him we had 27. Our record with him was 1-7 (beat the Texans), and 3-6 with GVR.

However, some of it could be on Zach, and being a rookie. During the period with backup QBs, right before we signed LDT, we improved. In 45 quarters with Zach we had 44 sacks (basically 1 a quarter), and in 19 quarters with White, Flacco, Johnson, we had 9 sacks (basically 1 every 2 quarters). Our sacks were cut in half when Zach wasn't playing, while passing yards per game also doubled. This is something that needs to improve this season.

Either way, its hard to put a lot of credit in PFFs 11th ranked line.

#194 ouchy, Aug 12, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
    azhar80 and Acad23 like this.
  15. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

and possible insurance if he plays well enough and Becton doesn't recover, he can cover the new draftee in 23

FJF likes this.
  16. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Kinda reminds me of here tbh

FJF likes this.
  17. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I’ve heard rumors that players can decide what teams they play for if they’re free agents.

I’m open to the slim possibility that “you will be a starter in Baltimore” was a more attractive option than “you can compete with our 2020 1st rd pick
    for a starter position in NYC”.

Also, I don’t believe the disparity btw LT and RT is as extreme as you imply. If it was a jump form Head Chef to Dishwasher, it seems like coaches would put their top rushers against the dishwashers.

FJF likes this.
  18. GreenFan15J

GreenFan15J Well-Known Member

Will Duane make an appearance tonight against Philly?

19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I was referring more to LT vs RT contracts. There's a few LT contracts in the $20m+ per. While it's rare for a RT to exceed $12. I think guards make as much as RTs.

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Except Moses wasn't guaranteed a starting spot in Baltimore so the argument makes no sense.
    --

To your second point though, teams have actually started trying to exploit the limitations of RTs in recent years. T.J. Watt, the NFL's sack leader, does his damage on the offense's right side.

With George Fant though its about run blocking. He is similarly skilled at pass blocking from the right or left side but was a much better run blocker from the left side. Not having Morgan Moses, or a capable right tackle, and flipping him to that side makes him a worse player