General Film Talk Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by The Dark Knight, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Saw The Gray Man on netflix last night...Nothing special, a decent watch but it is no John Wick, Mission Impossible, James Bond, Bourne movies. It tries to be all that into a 2 hour movie.

The acting was ok from the 2 leads and action was fine but bad script and pretty awful cinematography. The whole movie didn't feel like it was a summer blockbuster, just very mediocre

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I looked at the trailer for it, and guessed it would be exactly what you described. Tired of these production companies putting together shitty formulaic turds and blaming it on Covid

3. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Was holed up in a hotel this weekend in Vegas with no interest in venturing out in 110 degree heat so I watched Mission Impossible Rogue Nation and Fallout; both are fantastic movies but more amazing is how the MI series has gotten better as it has gone along. The first movie is good; nothing special. The second is pretty bad and John Woo was probably the wrong director for the material. I never saw III as I'm just not a fan of JJ Abrahams. Once you get to Ghost Protocol is when the series actually takes off. It's the the first great film in the series, and each one after has gotten better.

JETFUEL1580, Poeman and bicketybam like this.
  4. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Agree 100% Those are some really entertaining movies. Tom Cruise is nuttier than a fruit cake but he's a great actor.

JetBlue likes this.
  5. abyzmul

Hayley Atwell?

6. JetBlue

She should certainly be a reason for the next one improving upon Fallout.

abyzmul likes this.
  7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

But it's a dry heat...

8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

The Terminal List was much better.. BTW, pass on "Nope".

9. JetBlue

Five minutes of Prey was all I could take. For all the celebration of indigenous representation for the movie, all you hear from the characters is a white screenwriter’s cliched ideas of how native Americans spoke. It’s really fucking terrible writing.

they should have just gone with subtitles.

10. abyzmul

That Taika Waititi show is supposed to be really good.

11. JetBlue

I’ve tried to watch his movies but other than Thor Ragnarok I just couldn’t get into them.

Decided to skip the first act and get right into some action for Prey. It’s only getting worse.

12. JetBlue

Two movies I was excited to see but turned out to be awful pieces of crap.

Everything, Everywhere All At Once — I really wanted to like this, which is why I made it 15 minutes in, instead of giving up at 10, before abandoning ship. Pretty insufferable and none of the characters seemed worth watching.

The Northman — There are moments in this movie where I thought I was watching a good movie, but by the end it was still a disappointment. Maybe disappointment is a more appropriate criticism but I still don’t think it would have been good even if I had lower expectations.

And one that I did have low expectations for and it still was worse than I could have expected:

Dr. Strange Multiverse of Madness — Is Marvel even trying anymore? I lasted ten minutes before accepting that Marvel thinks the audience for their movies will mindlessly watch anything that goes flash and boom. I can’t imagine ever watching another Marvel movie.

abyzmul likes this.
  13. abyzmul

I'll probably watch the Northman just because Anya Taylor-Joy is molten lava, but it didn't really look like fine cinema from the trailer.

I got about 10mins into the Eternals and knew what would be happening to MCU going forward. That shark is wayyy in the rearview by now. Pretty lame. I got Disney+ for the Marvel series but aside from Wandavision, I haven't liked any of them.

14. JetBlue

I liked Wandavision but didn’t make it through two episodes of Falcon and the Winter Soldier. More telling is my kids would rush me through dinner on Fridays to watch the new episodes of Wandavision but not a single one has had any interest in the other shows. My son watched one episode of Loki but that was it.

abyzmul likes this.
  15. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

But just think - She Hulk Attorney at Law is on the horizon!

abyzmul likes this.
  16. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I watched Carter in Netflix, occasionally down for violent hard core fighting movies... But gotta say I was exhausted after watching it. Movie never gave itself a moment to breathe, and some of the CGI was pretty silly.

Also watched Uncharted, big fan of the game series. It was OK, played it real safe. Also did not give itself enough time to really develop a story or characters, but overall a OK movie.

17. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Saw Avatar II today and it was great! CGI was fantastic and I do regret not seeing this in 3D or IMAX. If you have the opportunity, choose either of those formats instead of the usual 2D. Well developed plot and no real slow parts. Story line did set up for a finale at some future time. Theatre was surprisingly empty as my local theatre must have run at least 10 sections all Avatar. Worth the 3 hr length and honestly, it didn't feel like 3hrs so that says a lot. If there's a hint at the end of the credits, after 3 hrs I was ready to leave so I don't know.

See the movie. You will enjoy it!

#937 Cman68, Dec 17, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2022
    Br4d, stinkyB and westiedog1 like this.
  18. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Havent been to a theater in a LONG time.... want to check this one out though. Local IMAX shutdown, so maybe opt for the googly goggles in 3D :cool:

#938 stinkyB, Dec 18, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2022
    Cman68 likes this.
  19. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Saw Avatar 2...was very mediocre to me and I love James Cameron and the first film. Was not into this one.

Also saw Glass Onion, one of the best of the year. Loved it more than the first one

The Dark Knight likes this.
  20. abyzmul

I really hated the first one. Watch this be like the Matrix.

Poeman likes this.