Mekhi Becton INJURED in practice today...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Aug 8, 2022.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

You don't get to tell me who I can root for. Part of being a fan is being realistic, not irrationally exuberant. Believe all you want about this scenario of a "right track" but don't demand others enjoy your fantasies. What I hate most is that every year it seems I overestimate the number of wins coming.

joe and HomeoftheJets like this.
  2. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Wow that second tweet was prescient...

3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Wut?

cval likes this.
  4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Vegas says 5-6 wins, not 2. I think if JD finds a way to protect Zach, it would be a good bet to take the over. I for one am excited for the new season, particularly given that Zach has turned the corner in practice. Just need to get him protection or maybe it will be 2 wins after all.

5. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Agree--So what that McDemmott once caught a TD pass? He can't block or protect.

6. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

You overestimate I don’t. This is the first time since the early 80’s that they are building right. Let me enjoy the season.

KingRoach likes this.
  7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

He had a couple drafts TGG thinks are good. Whether those drafts are actually good is TBD.

#287 HomeoftheJets, Aug 10, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
    ouchy likes this.
  8. Ralebird

Enjoy everything you do, but there's a problem if your enjoyment relies on silencing those who don't share your rosy views.

9. Ralebird

5.5 is what Vegas says. Six is over, two is under. We'll see if Zach Wilson has turned the corner when the touch football ends and he starts getting tackled.

10. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I think whether the 21/22 draft picks work out isn't too relevant to whether they were good drafts. We made mostly the right picks in the moment these last two drafts. It's hard to find fault with the Wilson, Moore, Sauce, JJ, and Wilson picks. I could nitpick about the AVT and Breece Hall picks (both technically poor value on paper) but I didn't hate them.

Becton on the other hand was pretty clearly the wrong choice even at the time. We took a guy with a food (and possibly drug) addiction instead of a legendary gym rat who also happened to play at a school that is an absolute OL factory. I was irate at the time of the pick.

tomdeb likes this.
  11. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

But they had that in Morgan Moses. The guy knows the system and was not particularly expensive. And more than anything he was serviceable, it’s not like he’s a bum. Teams win Super Bowls with players the caliber of Moses at RT, you don’t need superstars at every position. We still could have brought Duane Brown in when Becton was hurt and let them battle at RT. We’d have a solid starter and depth. And if you balk at spending that kind of money on the position, I’d say tough. Suffer at a position on defense. Zach Wilson wasn’t particularly good last year. If we can’t keep him upright he won’t be particularly good this year either.

12. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Below is an article breaking down the cause of Becton's injury. The doctor said his injury was caused by two things. One he his knock kneed making him more susceptible to this type of injury and second the injury was related to last years injury and the kneecap came out of place again despite wearing the heavy brace which means it is likely to happen again unless the kneecap can be secured. He will have surgery to realign the knee to try to prevent it from happening again. I would copy and paste the article out but I seem to only be able to see it on my phone while on my computer I get a paywall.

https://www.nj.com/jets/2022/08/doe...d-to-his-issues-heres-what-a-doctor-said.html

What was really interesting was the doctor said there was an option last year for a more serious surgery to realign the kneecap to prevent subsequent injury but the Jets and Becton chose not to do it. One or both of the parties took a risk that has come back to bite them. Likely they did this to try to get him back last year hoping for a short term gain at the expense of long term risk. Pretty bad look for whoever made this decision. The organization needs to look out for the long term welfare of these kids There was no point in trying to rush Becton back for a development year like last year.

#292 Noam, Aug 11, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
  13. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Now that is very interesting. I seem to remember back in 2001, when Santana Moss needed knee surgery, the Jets opted for more serious surgery that ended his season but promised better long-term results, rather than simpler surgery that might get him back that year. He was very impressed that they took the long-term view. Sounds like it would have paid off to do that in this case.

HomeoftheJets and Noam like this.
  14. cval

cval Well-Known Member

we have no idea how and what they decided. I remember Becton opting for surgery when he got hurt last year. @REVISion nobody gives a crap that you called this for Becton or that you were right. We get it so please stop with the victory lap. You should not be happy Becton got hurt. Like Saleh said his story is not finished yet I am rooting for the kid to get healthy.

The question is do we need to sign a RT or are we ok with what we have on the Roster?

REVISion likes this.
  15. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I might be wrong, but I thought that Moss opted for the more serious surgery without consulting the jets, and the jets were pissed because that made him miss most of his rookie season. Have not googled or researched it recently, though.

16. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I was surprised they took Becton and his weight issues mainly because the same thing happened with Jets with DT Kris Jenkins 11 years earlier. So big and fat he couldn't play a game without getting hurt. First thing I thought when they grabbed Becton. And both wore number 77 for the jets. . I understand, though, that jets management has changed a couple times since then, however.

17. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

if they care about the QB and their own jobs for more than a season then they better sign a RT and fast. It’s a shame, Morgan Moses was solid, reliable, and inexpensive. Now he’s starting for BAL because JD is too proud to admit he fucked up with Becton. I don’t know how you can have any optimism for the upcoming season with the state of our RT situation. Zach is gonna be running for his life again, and in 2 years we’ll be drafting a new LT and QB for a new regime we swear is “doing it right this time”.

18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Back in 2001, the Jets were run by competent people, leftovers from the Parcells regime. Now the Jets are run by dunderheads, so this is unsurprising.

ConcordeChops likes this.
  19. PabloJa

PabloJa Well-Known Member

20. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Hot diggity!

tomdeb likes this.