Mekhi Becton INJURED in practice today...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Aug 8, 2022.

1. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Question for the group: what are the chances that Becton gets injured again while on IR?

2. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

If Becton recovers from his injury in time for next season AND he doesn't get injured again, he'll be a backup for the Jets. He definitely won't be starting. The Jets will likely draft or sign another starting tackle next off-season. Sadly for us Jets fans and sadly for Becton, he is a bust. Maybe not a complete bust, but considering that he was a top 10 pick, he's a bust.

KY Jets Fan and HomeoftheJets like this.
  3. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Becton is a bust, plain and simple. Nothing to hang his head in shame about, there’s far more busts than superstars drafted in the first round. JD drafted based on his freakish size and athleticism, which was obviously enough to make him overlook the red flags. I don’t blame JD for that, GM’s do this all the time. If the red flags didn’t pan out Becton would be a HOF caliber lineman. But he’s injury prone, has had weight issues, and huge rabbit ears…. Any of which on their own can derail a great career, add all 3 showing up within his first 3 years in the league and you get a bust. What JD should be accountable for is the fact he could have kept Morgan Moses for hardly anything, who was a least serviceable and already familiar with the system. Now we’re scrambling for questionable FA’s to fill a starter role and again find ourselves one injury away from UPS drivers starting on Sundays. Between the draft and FA JD had plenty of opportunity to take out insurance on Becton and didn’t. With a 2nd year starting QB as questionable as Zach was as a rookie, sending him out again with an inferior OL is unconscionable. If Zach has another shorty season running for his life JD must be held accountable.

4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Could have made the exact same argument defending Idzik for drafting Dee Milliner.

5. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I don't blame JD. The Jets knew their was a risk with Becton and they couldn't draft or sign a top of the line tackle and then have him be a backup. The backup plan in case Becton couldn't play was to sign one or two average tackles now, which is what they are doing. Then next year, draft or sign a starter. JD was in a tough spot and had to take a chance either way and it didn't work out well.

KY Jets Fan and twown like this.
  6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

SOJAZ and Borat like this.
  7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Listen, JD's entire 2000 draft stinks. We have a Punter, who was the worst punter in the League, #5/6 WR, and a back-up corner to show for it. While I understand why he drafted Becton over Wirfs at the time, and in fact after the first year he looked like a genius, at the end of the day, he was wrong, as he was regarding most of the draft. It appears he has done MUCH better paired with Saleh. It does make a difference who your partner is, and it appears now JD and Saleh are doing much better than JD did with Gase. So there is hope there.

8. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Could not have said it better. McDermott is practice squad at best and who the hell knows why MacCagnan-pick Edoga still has a locker?

IDFjet and Borat like this.
  9. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

In McDermott's defense he was getting better in 2019 and 2020 but then had the pre-season injury against the Packers in 2021 and then stunk it up coming back. There's hope for him as a back-up IMO.

Agree with your assessment of Edoga.

10. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Gents, its time to move on from Mr. B. Keep him on his rookie contract as a BO only and go out and find another RT/LT... Its over boys. I am in the club that says he should have retained Moses... AS for the risk he took, that is his job... to bad it failed. It is what it is...

My concern is the same as Boart's, keeping our QB healthy and upright is paramount. If the last couple of days play regarding the OL and sacks, Zack "probably" will not make it to mid season before he is out with another injury or worse, gets happy feet, sees ghosts aka SAM, it becomes useless. JD better fix this proto or another season could be... well you get my drift.

Acad23, Noam and Borat like this.
  11. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Becton is now going to be the new Edoga, sitting in the maybe he'll be something seat moving forward.

Keen to sining and ageing vet, extend fant and keep drafting 4th round development OL like Mitchell.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

12. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Yup, it did stink.

As for knock-kneed Becton vs. Tristen Wirfs (Univ. of Iowa: OL recruiting hotbed).

13. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

What I would like to see on the Jets for a change is when a starter/ projected starter sustains a season-ending injury, someone else on the training camp roster can step up and be developed to hold that position serviceably. Seems like as bad as the Jets have been for a long time, there is still WAAAAAY too much dropoff from starter to backup and that lack of development and depth hurts this franchise consistently.

14. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Prescient... :confused:

15. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I've had a lot of the same questions, particularly with how the Jets have been crowing about how they have revamped the entire medical and training unit over the last two years. Where was the training staff earlier in the practice when the clips show Becton clearly limping, uncomfortable and trying to move the brace around himself?

Since1969 likes this.
  16. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Enjoy the season. Good young talent. Stop bitching.

BradysTornACL likes this.
  17. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Enjoy what? Another jets season with two to six wins? Do you know something that Vegas and the rest of us don't?

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  18. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Have to believe the Mitchell pick was made with this in mind.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

He stunk when Fant was injured towards the end of year. I don't think it was the injury that hampered him but more so the lack of skill.

I am sure there were folks here and there who wanted Wirfs, and they turned out to be right of course, but as I showed already before the consensus at the time was Becton, who was LT, while Wirfs was playing RT. It doesn't really matter what people thought at the time, what matters is the result. Wirfs is durable all Pro, and Becton missed two years and is worth very little right now. So yeah Joe fucked up this selection and really entire 2020 draft, there is really no other way to say it if we are being honest. He did have a couple of good drafts after with Saleh and made some other good moves though, there was a lot more good than bad since he took over, so I am staying optimistic he can fix the Tackle situation.

IDFjet, tomdeb and Jets79 like this.
  20. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Hey if that is what you think root for someone else. At long last they are on the right track. Hate it if you want. I'll enjoy the young guys.