Mekhi Becton INJURED in practice today...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Aug 8, 2022.

1. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Well said. And I'm optimistic he can be a very good coach. I think he has a lot of traits of a great leader

2. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Saleh can definitely improve.

3. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I assume best case scenario is he comes back next season healthy, slots into a backup role and can become a starter if he is healthy. I wouldn't be shocked to see LT be addressed early in the draft next year, so he'd be competing for a spot at RT.

They dont save any money by cutting him, so I think he's safe going into next season. Obviously they arent going to bring him back for the fifth year.

I don't want to say his career is done, but its absolutely on life support right now.

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

That's really the crux of it.
    His physique... as impressive as it is... is just not cut out for football long term.

An avulsion fracture can heal fairly quickly... depending on the severity... but if they're saying he's out for the season
    it's probably a worse case scenario.

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  5. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

The fact is was sort of a routine play, Salah said himself he thought it was minor because he watched the play again.... He either needs to take conditioning seriously or he's already guaranteed 97 percent of the money he will make as a football player

Cman68 likes this.
  6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I don't mean to kick Becton when he's down but IMO missing the season probably means he will be ready by week 4 of 2023.

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Instead of spending time in the offseason making T-shirts and promo videos he shoulda been doing football work

8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be surprised if he never takes the field again.

9. JETFUEL1580

I said that earlier as well. He's just to big for his own good. I remember prior to the draft being amazed at the 6-7 365-375 frame like how is that even possible? He had a great rookie season and it seemed like sky is the limit for him. Two years it's just about all over.

10. JETFUEL1580

Perhaps the Jets should stopping drafting guys from "The Lou". Ever since Browning Nagle it's just never worked out.

11. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Not sure how conditioning would have any effect on the injury. It is also possible the original injury had never healed and that he aggravated it by continuing to practice despite suffering pain, limping and having discomfort to the knee while practicing. Regardless we already know the coaches said he worked hard and was in good shape and even Cimini wrote an article on how well he was doing and how hard he had been working.The out of shape Becton thing seems to fan only creation.

Ralebird and bicketybam like this.
  12. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Another promising Jets career cut short by injury, sad. Get well soon big guy!

Noam likes this.
  13. JackBower

I'm in the belief that he did not condition properly and tried to cram getting into shape between OTA and camp, and not being in shape/tired definitely makes you more susceptible to injury.

They only started saying good things about his conditioning at the start of camp. In fact, the jets were openly concerned about it. This is not something he's been praised for since being drafted

ColoradoContrails and REVISion like this.
  14. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I don't think it's even an "in shape" or "out of shape" issue. He's just too heavy for his knees. He doesn't have relatively enormous legs like you need to carry that much weight. This is irrelevant to how lean he is or how good his cardio is, it's just too much weight regardless of any of that.

Borat, ColoradoContrails and K'OB like this.
  15. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I'm getting annoyed with some fans who act like fans should be nothing but loyal to their players. There is nothing wrong with fans being upset with the #11 overall pick missing 99% of 2021 and now all of 2022. That is brutal for the TEAM. The Jets drafted him to protect the blind side of their QB. They lost that trust after all that went down in 2021 and moved him to RT. Now he is going to miss 2022 and clearly can't be counted on as a starter in 2023. That would be bad management by Joe Douglas to assume he could be.

At the same time, you can feel bad for Mekhi. This is truly unfortunate for him and his career. Still, the main issue is protecting Zach Wilson. Now there is a huge hole (literally) at Right Tackle. I guess it is good that it happened now instead of Week 3 or something, but it is still bad.

16. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I don't think a kneecap fractures from lack of conditioning. Nor is there any evidence that he was in bad condition in camp. He was not being held back like Fant rather he was practicing fully. Was Fant then fat and out of shape? Rather the CS has talked about hard he has worked and had let him go with very few limitations. If they were concerned about his conditioning they would have eased him back in a lot slower. When he started suffering discomfort, pain and limping last week because of the knee they allowed him to fight through and keep practicing. It appears if anything Becton and the CS was reckless and having him do too much and try to hard. Similar to what happened in 2020 when he played through pain and aggravated a few week shoulder injury turning it into a 6 month injury.

Again the only people attributing the injury to conditioning are fans. It is all unsubstantiated speculation that seems to have no basis other than people are angry that an unfortunate bad thing happened to someone. It is human nature to want to blame someone. But, there is no evidence that the kid did not do the work, try or play through pain. He showed up to camp in great shape prepared for the season at the weight they wanted him and was praised for it by the CS and for his hard work. By all reports he was having a great camp and was looking at having a very good year. There is nothing here that we have seen that Becton has done wrong. Sometimes bad things happen.

A better question that needs an answer is did the original knee injury every truly heal and how much did that injury effect this one?

#176 Noam, Aug 9, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
    bicketybam likes this.
  17. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Apparently, Becton is too fragile for the NFL.

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  18. JackBower

You're completely ignoring everything before camp started. Yes, in camp he came in in better conditioning and was trying to get into shape. He got winded quite a bit during practice.

He came into OTA is bad shape, started last year in bad shape, and got up over 400 pounds when he got injured.

Don't do the armchair psychologist bit. This doesn't have to do with finding someone to blame. There's a lot of evidence to be concerned about his conditioning and his commitment to it.

You can absolutely fracture something because you're tired. You lose technique and balance, you can injure anything. Salah and Co aren't going to blame his conditioning to the press, especially if he was making an effort to improve it.

#178 JackBower, Aug 9, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
    ColoradoContrails and REVISion like this.
  19. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Dragging ass leads to sloppy technique...

ColoradoContrails and JackBower like this.
  20. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

You are aware that he was not medically cleared until May to practice and was not going to be able to practice even if he showed up. It was only the last few weeks that of OTAs that he was cleared to attend. But, he put the work in and got himself into shape by the time camp started. The CS staff was very happy with the weight and conditioning. He was where he needed to be and there is no evidence that conditioning had any effect. Pure speculation BS. If conditioning was a problem do you think the CS would have eased him in slower like Fant?

No one except people with no evidence are saying conditioning was a problem at camp or had anything to do with his injury. It is a complete ignorant BS argument.