Becton moved to IL.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Jul 27, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

My question and I think the same one or similar that Cval was asking earlier was why was no one looking out for Becton and preventing him from trying to do too much when he was limping and in pain earlier today, as shown by the below video which was linked in the training camp thread earlier today, before he got knocked down and he had been limping previously in camp and complaining of knee soreness. He is a 20 something year old kid who has a history of trying to play through pain. At some point they need to protect him from himself.

2. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I also think Becton is having trouble mentally trusting the stability of that knee. The hardest part of an injury is trusting that you are healed. Burrow struggled with this in camp last season as well. If that is all it is Becton will be fine.

Noam likes this.
  3. Not Sure

Not Sure Active Member

Doesn't look good. Bizarre how nonchalant Saleh is being about this.

4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Yeah - when there is no plan B really, you hope this was nothing, when him limping on the same knee he missed a year on is a big red flag. That's why we need to sign Brown. It would take a lot of pressure off Becton too. We need to bring this guy in slow and not cut any corners. He can even come in to protect Zach week 3-4 if need be. It looks like it will be a longer road to recovery. But to do that Zach needs be alive by week 3-4, which is why we need to sign Duane Brown to hold the fort for some time.

5. cval

cval Well-Known Member

He is being signed

Noam likes this.
  6. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

This isn't some grand mystery.

The knee was structurally sound by all accounts. Regardless, you're never going to have happy knee joints when you're as tall and as heavy as Mekhi is. He is a constant reinjury risk as long as he doesn't lose significant weight (he should be 330-340 MAX). That reinjury risk will only get higher over time as he ages and accumulates more lower body injuries.

Also, Mekhi is absolutely not known for trying to play through pain. There was a report that said the exact opposite, that he doesn't fight through adversity and quits when he's either tired or hurt.

blackssmagic likes this.
  7. REVISion

You have to be nonchalant if you want to have any hope of trading him.

Cman68 likes this.
  8. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

He played through the shoulder injury worsening it and taking it from a few week injury to a 6 month injury by playing game after game. He was in obvious pain but he still asked to go back into games before being told to sit out. This did not just happen one game but multiple games. You can see him in practice this year despite knee discomfort still trying, still practicing and despite hurting his knee earlier today, barely being able to walk and being in obvious pain he kept practicing until he got rolled over and taken off. It is nice to say that he is not known for something but there has been no evidence of it. Again pure speculation. Rather just the opposite. He keeps trying to do too much and coming back to soon resulting in more injuries.

In regards to his weight. I don't know his optimal weight or what his weight is right now. 330 or 340 again comes from where? All we have heard is 360 seems to be a target weight, was his rookie year weight and his weight when he reported last year. He looks good and he moves well right now and the Jets seem quite happy with his weight, conditioning and work ethic. But, he is also young and he is incredibly athletic. He has likely relied on this unnatural athleticism all his life. I will agree in the long term and as he gets older that he will be able to rely on his athleticism less and less and the better shape he can get in the better off he will be.

#88 Noam, Aug 8, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
    Ralebird likes this.
  9. REVISion

It's not speculation to say that being almost 400 lbs is horrendous for your knees. I'm not commenting on his ability to play the game at 380 (though TBH he'd probably improve his game by losing weight too), I'm just saying he will always be a reinjury risk as long as he's that heavy. It's too much height and weight for your knees to handle.

Mekhi is also really top heavy, he doesn't have the legs someone his weight needs to have to be functional. Go look at Wirfs' physique, he carries all of his weight in his legs.

blackssmagic, Borat and CaptainCap like this.
  10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

PVO man.. Saleh is walking the talk.

Not Sure and Acad23 like this.
  11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The lingering concern for me is that last season his lateral speed was suspect, and there was a concern about facing speed rushers. The original knee injury bodes very badly with that cause we need our knees stable when we move sideways. Today's circumstance makes me think, even if it was a minor injury, he wont be ready until at least mid season, or will be a disaster against some of the edges we face.

Sign Brown ASAP and get him up to speed in our system.

Jets79 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

It looks like he came down to 370, but even that is very tough on the knees, particularly now after having serious injury there. It is not looking good as far as having Mekhi as a staple of the OL, even on the right side. I am actually worried about Zach getting injured in preseason without him or anyone competent behind him.

Hopefully Max will develop into good RT in 2023, but we really need someone good now, like Duane. Saleh said Duane is a bonus. No, Becton is a bonus at this point. Duane is a necessity. If you want your young QB to succeed that is.

#92 Borat, Aug 8, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
  13. REVISion

Hi.

Before I'm called a hater, I'll say I truly wish I was wrong about this, but I don't think I am. I wish ya'll would realize there's a big difference between wanting someone to fail and thinking they will.

Lastly, I'll just reiterate what I said before, when you guys were taking nonsensical victory laps:

Turns out showing up to training camp didn't magically mean that Becton isn't injury prone, or that being 380 lbs is suddenly good for your knees.

14. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

I definitely said your wrong, and I will continue to say your wrong. His history proves it every step of the way

15. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

You said he wouldn't be ready by camp. He was.

16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Time for a title change
    Becton moves to I.r.

Cman68, Acad23 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

He showed up ready to puke... :confused:

He was bent over with his hands on his knees between snaps.

That ain't ready... that's trying to get ready.

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

If Becton never steps on the field again in a Jets uniform, he will have at least provided us the I Told You So Rollercoaster of the 2022 offseason. Everybody got to ride that thing!

papapump, Cman68, REVISion and 2 others like this.
  19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

He is hurt again with something apparently more serous than anticipated after 10 days since starting practice. Who knows if he was really ready or not then, but it sure looks like it will be some time before he is ready now. It sucks for Becton, it sucks for Zach, sucks for the Jets. But it wasn't completely unexpected.

papapump, Cman68, Jets79 and 3 others like this.
  20. REVISion

Not at all, but keep making up strawmen.

My stance was always that there were legitimate reasons to be very concerned and skeptical, but even that reasonable stance was too much for the homers to bear. I don't speak in absolutes but rather probabilities, and it was always very likely that Becton would have ongoing injury and weight concerns. Showing up to one training camp in shape (says a lot that we're saying 380 qualifies as in shape huh?) never changed anything about that.

ukjetsfan, Jets79 and blackssmagic like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.