Mekhi Becton INJURED in practice today...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Aug 8, 2022.

1. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

There's no question about this imo.

For further evidence, we can look back to Mekhi's combine. Mekhi is a guy who has great natural gifts. He's obviously huge and remarkably fast for his size. He doesn't have those gifts due to being a gym rat, though, they are innate gifts.

Mekhi did 23 reps of 225 at the combine. That's OK, but not all that impressive for a man as heavy as Becton is. In fact, it's below the average bench performance for all OL who work out at the combine, 99.99% of whom weigh less than Becton. When you're in the 40th percentile for bench despite being in the 99th percentile for weight, it means you're not exactly spending a ton of time in the weight room.

2. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I’m shocked. Shocked I tell you

Acad23 likes this.
  3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

You've summed it up beautifully.

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, that is a major problem, if that is what is leading to these injuries. I am not there every day, I don't see what he eats or what he does, so I can't speak on that. But if it is true, then I agree it is not professional or acceptable. Becton has been the big question mark and the player who doesn't seem to fit the "All Gas No Brake" mindset, but I keep hoping he will come around. Looked good and had the right attitude to start training camp. We will see how things go after this setback.

egelband likes this.
  5. Aero

Aero Well-Known Member

Welp...

Cman68, egelband, Noam and 3 others like this.
  6. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

[​IMG]

egelband, REVISion, FJF and 1 other person like this.
  7. Not Sure

Not Sure Active Member

Jesus Christ!

ukjetsfan likes this.
  8. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Oof......gotta pony up for some O-lineman ASAP.

KY Jets Fan and egelband like this.
  9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Damn. That is bad news for sure. Time to sign Brown and move on from Becton. That's life. It's a tough sport. Like I wrote earlier, he plays an important position that needs to be counted on, and the Jets simply can't count on him.

10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Looks like a lot of 2 te sets this year

Cman68 and Acad23 like this.
  11. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Welp, that didn't take long to happen. Perhaps he's just to darn big for his own good.

Cman68 and Borat like this.
  12. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Sign Duane Brown yesterday.

Suddenly those of us who said we should consider trading Becton last season don't look so ridiculous huh?

Knees don't get healthier as you add years and weight, folks.

Now we're in a spot where Becton has very little value as a trade asset unless JD can pull some magic as he sometimes does.

egelband, ColoradoContrails and Borat like this.
  13. Not Sure

Not Sure Active Member

Wow. Not even the same injury.

14. onefanjet

onefanjet Well-Known Member

Here ya go!

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/08/08/jets-signing-caleb-benenoch/

15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Clearly, there was something there - the guy felt discomfort, then needed brace, then limped, and then left the field over last few days. This is not a one day thing. You also have to realize that Becton just came back to practice for the first time only 10 days ago. Now he is going to miss at best a couple of weeks, but with the latest news probably more. You also know what happens when Becton can't put the weight on the knee. He needs time to get back in shape. Then he needs to practice again and probably take it more slow this time.

To me it's very obvious we need another player to start the season (not just a competent back-up) or Zach is fucked. Then Becton hopefully can come back at some point when he is fully ready. That could be a few reps here in there as a sub first, and perhaps taking over starting job at some point. But we NEED a starter. Why is Duane Brown not a Jet yet? JD, time to open a wallet and get to work while there is still a chance to add starting caliber OT to the roster. And by "time" I mean you are already a day (or a month) late! We need to get Fant to the right side, there needs to be continuity build, and time is running out.

egelband and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

Lets not be insane here…get a replacement and move on from him. Its a wasted draft pick but it hurts you more if you count on him.

KY Jets Fan, REVISion, Jets79 and 3 others like this.
  17. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

Yes, let's not be insane. We don't even know how serious this is. And many players get injured early in their careers, their injuries heal stronger, and then they are fine, so let's wait and see. Way too early to give up on him.

18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

This confirms that it was simply not smart for Douglas to pass on taking Becton's replacement in the draft. An injury that takes almost a year to recover from - regardless of the original estimate of 6-8 weeks - was not going to enable Becton to simply show up at camp and go full strength. Douglas needed to get someone to replace him either in FA or the draft. I've been - and still am - a big JD supporter, but this was a clear mistake on his part IMO. Sauce will no doubt become a star, but if we lose our QB because of another shitty OL, he's going to be a star on a losing team.

ouchy, Jets79 and Borat like this.
  19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Time to move on. Even if he’s healthy at some point you can never ever trust him again. Cut bait, pretend it didn’t happen, close your eyes when CeeDee Lamb highlights are on tv.

20. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

The first reception Sauce gives up I'm booing the shit out of him.

Acad23 likes this.