Zach Wilson will...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JETFUEL1580, Jul 24, 2022.

1. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

In all honesty it's funny how some individuals can feed into the Jets stigma. Starting this thread I'm honestly pumped about Wilson's talent and upcoming season potential "DUH". I'll admit that I was opposed to Wilson at first. Thought he was a one year wonder, in a pandemic year, in a weak conference. Needless to say I wanted to pass and take Fields. When the Jets beat the Rams and Lawrence was out of the picture I can honestly say I started to come around on Zach's arm talent. I didn't however fool myself to think that he was even a day one starter even being selected second overall. On the record I didn't like Sam Darnold as he was turnover proned and his mechanics always bothered me. I never liked Mark Sanchez as well coming from a strong USC team with little experience and marginal talent. And just to show I'm not a self righteous revisionist I thought in 2018 the Jets should have trade down and take Josh Rosen, so you get it. But my point is that I supported and rooted for both QB's as they were drafted and until they showed my otherwise then it is what it is. Sanchez "Butt Fumble" to go along with his inconsistent play I was done. Darnold was just a little to soft and never progressed as a Jets regardless of Gase, but as I mentioned he was a turnover machine in his redshirt sophomore year at USC which I witnessed live living in Los Angeles at the time going to a handful of USC games.

Perhaps I suffer from a prisoner of the moment mentality or love to get kicked in the balls by my beloved franchise, but why is it that some of y'all think the kid (Wilson) is already garbage and won't get better? and by some the ones who have made it somewhat obvious here. None of the rookies look good last year. Does anyone think Trevor Lawrence would have been that much better?

#101 JETFUEL1580, Aug 2, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
    Noam likes this.
  2. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

more than half the league was a 3:1 ratio? oh, it was 7

but yeah. 2/1 TD/INT is a start

Lon Chaney likes this.
  3. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about the guy making this video but he makes some good points about Wilson' footwork on his drops and also makes an argument that Wilson did really well on throwing over the middle last year which I have seen others make elsewhere. One of the biggest arguments against Wilson at BYU is he often avoided the middle relying on his arm to throw outside. BYU did run a lot of mesh plays which I did not see much from the Jets last year. But, if the reviewer is correct that Wilson throwing over the middle is one of his strengths that is good to hear because that is where most young QBs really struggle.

4. cval

cval Well-Known Member

The claim he can't throw over the middle came from someone that did not watch him play last season. Great Video and find.

Most Zach supporters on this board have seen exactly what this guy has said on the video. Some high level traits that get you excited about what he can be. He has not proven yet, most understand that. The criticizers without context have an agenda. Here is hoping that Zach takes the next step and has some talent around him that can bail him out when he makes mistakes.

#104 cval, Aug 3, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
    ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I think this is an accurate evaluation of Zach's performance last year. It was interesting to see the call out of his back foot setting and not stepping up earlier in the season and how that correlated to his poor performance. Good video.

cval and Noam like this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, Zach needs to take that next step, but even the best QB's get bailed out when they make mistakes. Last year the Jets didn't really have anyone besides Berrios who could do that for Zach. This year should be a night & day difference. He's going to make mistakes, but as long as they aren't compounded they're going to be much improved.

cval and Noam like this.
  7. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

This is a great vid. Zach needs to have more poise, but he did play behind a shit O-Line with limited weapons. Also I'm glad he bulked up a bit as well. The kid after the injury showed a lot more then he did prior. Some Jets fans live in so much negativity almost to a point they want everything to fail. I wouldn't be surprised if Zach struggled somewhat in his first 4 weeks. He'll have some mistakes still to learn from, and considering the schedule. It'll probably happen. Amazing how some here are expecting him to be another Browning Nagle or Kellen Clemens.

ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Noam and twown like this.
  9. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Based on that alone... that dude fits in an NFL locker room.

10. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

All the hyperbole and good p.r. ain't gonna put wins up... but it is comforting to hear.

Noam and twown like this.
  11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

New tight end calls Wilson dumb jock - cimini

12. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

13. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

As for who has an edge for the starting spot, Darnold had a bad interception and Mayfield had three passes batted down at the line on Monday. Both were ineffective in a two-minute drill at the end of practice. -- David Newton

14. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Poor Baker.

6'5" heart... 5'6" body....:confused:

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Is CJ dumber than Gronk?

16. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

Will get killed as we have no RT, but hey we have Gardner playing DB. I wanted IK at 4 in the worst way....

17. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

That was my 1st thought as well...