Becton moved to IL.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Jul 27, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

That didn't take long. Sign Duane Brown already.

2. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Evan Neal was just sitting there, waiting to be drafted..... :(

Jets79 likes this.
  3. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Sometimes the mental part of an injury is the toughest to get over

4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Who could have predicted Becton would get hurt again?:confused:

Borat and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. cval

cval Well-Known Member

This is not a good sign. Not because he was injured but the lack of concern from the coaching staff. I am not sure they think the injury is as significant as Becton believes it is.

6. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Looking at that videos of Becton limping on plays before he went down it looks like he had a problem before the injury. Which again makes me ask the question is Mechi trying to do too much and does he need to do less and take it easy more. Looking at his injury history it appears he would have benefited by going slower. He was injured mid season 2020 with the shoulder injury. He tried to play though it and kept aggravating the injury. The shoulder got injury got worse and it plagued him through the off-season. He was not medically cleared until spring 2021. He then immediately suffered the foot injury which he had until training camp. In camp then he suffered the concussion which kept him out until game one. Then he immediately got hurt again.

He is a big man who is young with amazing athleticism. He has likely relied on his athleticism all his life and avoided injury. He might bet better suited to take things slower and ease into things and not overdo it. Trying to play and practice through pain is admirable but he has been injured now for almost 2 straight years. Being patient is hard especially with all the hate, juvenile attacks against him and people calling him lazy but he might be better served by going slower, appearing lazy and taking more rest days.

7. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Like I said it appears the coaches think he is not really hurt. I think he is having trouble getting over the knee mentally especially once he gets fatigued.

ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  8. CaptainCap

CaptainCap Well-Known Member

Some athletes can't get out of the injury cycle. Look at Luis Severino with the Yankees. Very frustrating.

9. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

When Saleh says "stable," I think he means there's no indication that Becton tore his ACL. In other words, I don't think Saleh's saying Becton's not really hurt, only that he dodged the worst-case scenario. We'll see when the MRI results came back.

blackssmagic and REVISion like this.
  10. NYsportsfan1962

Collapsing from a shove. Hopefully it isn't serious. The price for Brown might have just went up and they better get it done. Always felt uncomfortable with Becton as he just appears to be somewhat injury prone. To take a year to recover to what was reported as a 10 week injury is alarming along with his nagging injuries in year one. I still wonder how committed that man is to working his body. You just never hear the same reporting as with someone like Carl Lawson. Hope he's well.

Jets79 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  11. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Letting him practice when he was clearly limping around says he was not concerned.

12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well if the CS doesn't believe his injury - the one that ended his season last year - was as bad as he thinks it is, or that this one is as bad, that IS a bad sign. But it makes me then really wonder why they didn't draft his replacement. Either way, this is not good. As great as Sauce seems to be, I still think the right move would've been to draft a Tackle at #3, or at least taken Penning later. I hope this wasn't a case of Douglas being so invested in Becton that he has blinders.

Jets79, blackssmagic, Noam and 2 others like this.
  13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Dude is huge and has stability problems in his knee.

If the jets are counting on him for anything they're making a mistake. If he comes through and plays well and doesn't get hurt well that's a bonus at this point but nothing the Jets can count on.

REVISion and Borat like this.
  14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

If Saleh thinks 1 week, we are looking about what, 6-8? Becton is after all a large human.

15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

The reports are also that Zach is constantly pressured, particularly when Becton went out. Whenever he is not, looks like he playing amazing. The problem is that he can develop really bad habits if he cannot get protection, something that cannot later be fixed.

JD needs to do something here - we cannot afford to have Zach be protected by likes of Edoga. You would have to be a complete imbecile right now to put the fate of a young franchise QB on Becton being healthy.

16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

What's the worst case scenario though? It appears it is taking a full calendar year or more to fully get over his original injury, and he may not be over it yet. It's the same knee. And even that wasn't the worst case scenario, only 6 weeks or so according to original reports. Also, Becton missed a lot of time while getting in shape. Missed OTAs, etc. Now he will likely miss more time.

We are at the point where Becton needs to be looked at someone who cannot be relied upon - more of a bonus. We get him back, great, but we need to have solid protection without him. Duane Brown at this point an an absolute must. Sucks that he is old and missed a lot of the camp, but he was a durable Pro Bowler last year. We are in August, and pickings are slim. Get Duane on the field tomorrow, so he can start getting up to speed.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I'm rooting for Mekhi to be a long-term answer at OT but I'm not overly hopeful. I predict Max Mitchell will end up being their starting RT, whether this season or next

KY Jets Fan and Noam like this.
  18. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Also, I hope Saleh is right this time, and it is something small - do we have to worry Becton gets out of shape if he can't go for a few weeks? Then he needs to work to get in shape, then in football shape. Get Duane Brown ASAP!!! It was a shame too, because it looked like Becton was playing reasonably well, but ... we MUST protect Zach.

EDIT: Just looking back at what I read earlier, Becton had discomfort, then he had a brace, then he was limping. It's clear there is something still lingering, even if it is small. The best course of action to me is take it slow with him, which we will be able to do if we get Duane in here. Then whenever Becton is fully ready in practice without any discomforts, he can play. Otherwise start practicing with and go into week 1 with Brown/Fant. We need to develop some continuity now.

#78 Borat, Aug 8, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Here's the other concern though - if it was something "small", and Becton just overreacted because of the original injury, how's he going to react as he gets into actual games?

I've tried to keep an open mind about him - even while expressing my doubts - but I think my doubts are more well founded than the hopes some people have about him ever becoming reliable. It's a terrible situation. And while getting Sauce obviously was a great addition, if there was any pick that could be considered a "luxury" pick it was him. Securing a stud tackle was the smart way to go, and now it looks like failing to do so is coming back to bite them.

blackssmagic and KY Jets Fan like this.
  20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

You are right, but I think it was tough for JD to pull the trigger on this, given he just spent #11 two seasons back and invested so much on OLine. With all that said, we have a 2021 Pro Bowl Tackle right now in NJ who wants to sign here. Yeah he is old, but pay the man, and then we can address Tackle in next year's draft. It might work out after all, but this is not the time to pinch pennies. We have plenty of CAP and can restructure deals if we need to. Duane Brown must be a Jet today and in uniform practicing tomorrow. There is very little time left to get him ready to start Day 1. We are no long just looking at just a back-up here, he may need to be ready to go Sept 11.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.