Official 2022 Jets Training Camp

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jul 17, 2022.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

This is the kind of play that separated Zach from the competition in the draft IMO - and yes, Mahomes-like. You don't want your QB to have to scramble and make plays like this, but it's good to have a QB who can because invariably there will be times when everything breaks down and everything will come down to him being to pull something out of his ass. Of course it also depends on having players around him that can be counted on to be there to complete the play, and I feel like they've gotten him those types of players.

Of course these types of plays can go horribly wrong in an instant, and no doubt Zach will have some of those too, but what I see in him is a guy who doesn't let mistakes keep him from trying things again. It's not the sort of thing that makes fans comfortable, but if he's able to deliver more than he misses, people will become more comfortable - either way it'll be exciting.

2. JetsCuseYanksFan

Per an ESPN article yesterday where they simulated/ranked offensive lines, we are 24th, and the Eagles are 3rd. Ravens are 5th. Again, not gospel, but an indicator. We should find out pretty quick how good our DL and bad our OL is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noam likes this.
  3. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

50,000 foot view: Yesterday, our OL couldn't keep the DL out of Zach's face at all. Against that pressure, Zach didn't kill it (no QB would under those circumstances), but he did manage to complete 8 out of 11 passes in team drills and get a bit of a highlight in that shuffle pass to GW when everything was going to hell. How do you describe such a day? Well, one commentator said Zach was just OK, and we have some on the board lamenting Zach's ability to do more than dump it off. To me, this day is proof that context matters. If the DL is getting to the QB quickly on just about every play, I would take 8/11 -- even for modest gains -- from any QB in the league. The stats may not have been spectacular, but this sounds to me like a very good performance under miserable circumstances.

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

its practice so they aren’t allowed to hit him. In a real game where he would be getting knocked around and beat up, he doesn’t go 8-11 under that pressure

5. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

OL play and depth didn't look great early on. I hope they can get it together.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  6. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I think they’ll be fine. Fant wasn’t in the team stuff for the first few days and even now it seems like they’ve got him on a sort of “pitch count”.

Barring injury, I think the OL will be fine by Week 1 and will continue to improve as they get more reps together.

7. coloradojet

coloradojet Active Member

Mahomes superbowl stats against the Bucs: 26/49, 53% completion, 5.5 avg, QBR 52, 0 TDs 2 INT.

Brady stats: 21/29, 72%completion, 3TD 0 INT.

Why didn't Mahomes overcome the heavy pressure he got and play well? Does that one game make him a bad QB?

8. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

bottopm line is heavy pressure makes life miserable FOR ANY QB

SoylentGreen, cval, Jets79 and 2 others like this.
  9. GreenFan15J

GreenFan15J Well-Known Member

Mmmm…could it be that the defense is good?

Perhaps…(caresses chin)

10. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Is today a day off?

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

It is for me.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  12. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

He did. He made three or four unbelievable throws that should have been touchdowns but his receivers let him down.

13. coloradojet

coloradojet Active Member

Hasn't Wilson had a lot of dropped passes that if they been caught would have made his stats better. Stats is what counts in the end.

14. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Nice article on our run game.

https://nypost.com/2022/08/07/jets-confident-secondary-upgrades-will-boost-porous-run-defense/

It talks about explosive and how outside explosive plays the Jet run defense was better than average, but it leaves out some points. That we had to play 2 high safeties last year and how bad Echols was at run defense as well as our safeties. The addition of Woodhead and Reed should help a lot on preventing explosive plays. Not to mention not having A. Davis on the field.

These are points that Hughes has been making for awhile that the problem was the secondary and having to play 2 high safeties. I hope they are right. Decent run defense and this defense could potentially be very good.

15. BrowningNagle

oof that is a cringeworthy article

"keep it under 12" - Coach Saleh, 10 yards is a 1st down. Maybe they should try keeping opponent running plays inside 10 yards... just a thought

---

Rex Ryan had his faults but he was a rah-rah type players' coach like Saleh and yet there's no way in hell he would make some of those comments Saleh is

Ralebird likes this.
  16. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Yes, yesterday was an off day for the Jets after the Green/White scrimmage.

Guys should be back on the field around 10:40 eastern today.

If any posters on here are going to today’s open practice, please post your videos and pictures! We’ll take all the Jets content we can at this point lol

#716 KY Jets Fan, Aug 8, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
    cval likes this.
  17. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Stunned you didn’t understand what that quote was about.

18. BrowningNagle

I understand completely asshat.. I read the whole thing, he wants to limit big plays. You have to raise the bar though IMO and try to get off the field once in awhile

Ralebird likes this.
  19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Hes talking about the role of the secondary in a single high safety defense against the run. He’s not saying “let’s just keep running plays to 12 yards” like you’re pretending he did.

20. BrowningNagle

What good does that do? A 12 yard run is a 1st down. He should bring his safeties up