Early Takeaways from Jets Training Camp: Offense

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, Jul 30, 2022.

1. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

2. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Expected reports thus far. Nothing great, nothing bad. We won't know anything until training camp and pre season barring any major injuries happen. I can accept injuries during the season, but I hate training camp and pre season injuries. So far so good.

ouchy and MaximusD163 like this.
  3. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Great article again Max. Thanks for posting. If we don't get hit with injury bug again this year, offense will show tremendous improvement with addition of two legit TE's along with Garret Wilson and Laken Tomlinson. A lot will ride on Zach's shoulders and I hope he is up to the task.

4. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Very well written article sir! Looking forward to your defensive article too.

It’s hard to take away too much from this first week but it’s does feel like the overall talent on both sides of the ball have improved this offseason. I’m looking forward to seeing them in full pads going forward.

5. MaximusD163

I just remember so many days from years past where when the entire report was just "offense had a rough day". It finally seems like even when practices are up or down, Both the offense and defense are consistently getting theirs at least a bit.

6. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I think in general it's harder to coordinate offense at the beginning of training camp than it is for defense.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

It's early but I think the bottom line is while the talent has improved I don't expect Wilson to take the massive step forward we really need in year 2.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I really hope you're wrong...

Jedi mind tricks likes this.
  9. MaximusD163

How much Zach Wilson needs to improve kind of depends on how you view last year. If you take the season as a whole, he needs to take a massive step just to be average. If you separate the end of the season last year into its own period, he needs to improve marginally and be way more consistent to be average.

I think the Jets can be a decent team with average QB play, so the reality is that needs to be the baseline we demand as fans. If he is below average again, the Jets should probably move on right away. If he is average with some big time flashes, they can continue developing him.

The Jets are in the development stage of what will be a contending roster window that will last about two years before notable changes will probably be made. The roster has been assembled from 2020-2022, with this being the key development year. 2023 and 2024 will be their best chance to win before players get really expensive, so if Wilson hasn’t shown enough they will need to be aggressive finding a QB that can take advantage of the ready to win roster.

He doesn’t need to be a super star in 2022, but he needs to make us believe he will at least be a top 12 type of QB by 2023.

10. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

A solid O-line and a more effective run game should help.

And let's not forget our defense was rank last year... Zach could improve a lot and still be playing from behind.

11. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Me too bud... Me too.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  12. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I remain skeptical about the run defense being anything more than marginally better from last year.

Noam likes this.
  13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Yeah... we got gashed pretty good.

The Jets allowed 9 runs that went for 30 yards or more last year.