Becton moved to IL.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Jul 27, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Everyone should be happy that Becton returned to camp at the required weight and his knee seemingly healthy. Anyone who isn't happy about that has an ulterior motive.

2. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Everyone's happy about Becton being on the field.

What they're not happy about is having such a minor "win" rubbed in their face from the same people who've been wrong about Becton every step of the way the last 2 years.

Professional football player is able to practice! Yay!

Guess what? The people who questioned whether Becton would arrive to camp in shape were still correct to do so. All the evidence at that point had indicated there was good reason to be concerned. I'm happy to be wrong about this, but let's not act like the sensible position was ever "there's nothing to worry about".

blackssmagic likes this.
  3. bicketybam

Didn't you say "I was wrong" at one point?

No one is truly piling on. When he makes the pro bowl at the end of the season is when you will feel the full wrath

Noam and dawinner127 like this.
  4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Welcome back.

I think you have the "crash" scenario backwards; that would fit those refusing to admit the injury was much longer lasting than eight weeks rather than those keeping their focus wide open until the outcome was determined by facts.

So, it looks like Becton's injury was a 45 1/2 week injury because now he's practicing without limitations. Victory lap? Nah, but I wouldn't want to be among those still claiming it was a 4 - 6 week or 4 - 8 week injury just a week or two ago. That has been proven false.

#44 Ralebird, Jul 28, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2022
  5. Ralebird

Yeah, and in the Training Camp thread Cimini was only one of three writers quoted saying the same thing - why is he the only one catching the heat?. I would also wonder if anyone else on the field needed a bit of a break or if Becton was the only one. Isn't that what reporters are there for? To report what went on?

6. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

It's Day 2 of Training Camp. Noteworthy if you're following TC closely as a fan or beat writer, but a non-story if conditioning improves as camp and preseason go on. Nobody will remember he needed to take some reps off.

Becton can use Twitter all he wants, but I hope it's making him better, not distracting him. If he uses this as fuel, great! If he gets caught up and distracted in any perceived criticism or observation-based report on what's going on, it'll be a problem for him.

I don't have a problem with what Cimini said. Not sure if he has an ulterior motive, wouldn't shock me, but he saw him struggling in practice and reported what he saw and then noted he's back in. That's literally his job. And being reported on and observed is part of an athlete's job too. This dude was a high first round pick and a professional athlete practicing in training camp. Does he deserve some special praise because he finished practice?

This is what the media does; they report on things they see and in NY, it's amplified. It's just how it is. Nobody should be attacking or bullying him. And I've seen some mean stuff and criticisms fans tag him in on Twitter. That's just wrong. But what Cimini said did not strike me as that.

To me, Becton's interactions are a flag and rubs me the wrong way, but that's my feeling, not facts. Do other pro athletes interact with fans and media on Twitter like he does so consistently? Doesn't seem like a normal thing, but maybe there are examples of good players who act similarly.

And of course we're debating it here; we're on a fan message board during training camp and this guy has rightly been a big story. He's not a back-end roster player. What else is there to talk about if not this type of stuff?

If he plays well, this will fade into the background, but if sputters, the noise will get louder and I worry if he'll be able to manage that. Hope he becomes the franchise OT that he looked well on track to becoming in 2020

blackssmagic, Noam, Brook! and 4 others like this.
  7. twown

twown Well-Known Member

I've chosen my hill to die on, and here it is:

Using Twitter cannot make you better at anything

But surely it can make you better at such-and-such, you may argue.

No. Fuck no. Wake up.

And I stand here, bare-chested, barely limping, slightly drunk, ready to fight.

Also, long live KY Jets Fan. May he continue to post Jets Tweets until we both die happy and honorable deaths on this here hill.

Noam, FinnishJET and KY Jets Fan like this.
  8. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Lol I highly doubt it too... Trying to keep an open mind for Mekhi

KY Jets Fan and twown like this.
  9. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

All I care about is him playing on Sunday's. How he chooses to interact with people on social media means nothing to me. There is no one thinner skinned than Kevin Durant on social media and no one really cares because he is a stud basketball player. If Becton shows up and plays well, no one will care about this.

It's not how I would handle my business, but its 2022 and social media has a real stranglehold on a lot of people. In addition to being thin skinned, Becton is playing with a massive chip on his shoulder because of all the weight related criticism he's received.

10. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

The sensible position was always, "we'll have to see how he looks if and when he takes the field". However, you'll have no problem finding plenty of posts by people who (wrongly) declared as a fact, "Becton will never play another snap in the NFL" .. "He is finished" ect.

11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Outstanding spot on response.
    IMO. No one is rubbing anything in. Point of fact, The real scenario is the fantasy perpetrated for over a year with multiple victory laps with the irrational notion that it was a 6-8 week injury by media and fans alike, most not knowing fuck all about the seriousness of the injury. Now they are taking a new small victory lap because he took a knee, after not playing football for over a year. Shocking. It’s time to get behind Becton one hundred percent, he has done every thing he was asked to so far and we need for him to succeed. That is what is best for the Jets.

KingRoach likes this.
  12. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

"Becton is fat" was not a minor issue. It was the biggest subject on this board for quite a while. Those who posted extensively and then landed on the wrong side should expect to get their noses rubbed in it. ;)

Noam, KY Jets Fan, Ralebird and 2 others like this.
  13. bicketybam

They are desperately hanging onto something like he will get hurt or play poorly. It's sad, really. They'd rather be right than have him play well.

14. REVISion

He was quite clearly too fat a mere month ago. The people taking a victory lap right now were disputing that despite it being very clearly the case. Kudos to Becton for finally figuring it out over the last 30 days.

blackssmagic likes this.
  15. REVISion

Yeah and you've spent the last few days convincing yourself Becton being moved to RT was because the front office is terrified of Fant playing there, rather than being a clear demotion for Becton.

But yeah, keep acting like you're the objective voice of reason here.

blackssmagic likes this.
  16. Ralebird

He may have been "clearly too fat" a month ago to you, that's a matter of opinion. The main problem I had was the unsupported conclusion of some here that his weight was the cause of his longer than first "expected" recovery.

#56 Ralebird, Jul 30, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2022
  17. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Some said the injury caused the weight gain...;)

18. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

19. cval

cval Well-Known Member

@REVISion may be right on this guy. Puking in camp now this. Not looking good for Becton.

blackssmagic likes this.
  20. REVISion

Should I tag all the people who took a victory lap and tagged me when Becton reached the incredible milestone of simply participating in training camp?

blackssmagic likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.