How many Touchdowns will Sauce give up as a rookie?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by abyzmul, Jul 23, 2022.

?

How many TDs will Sauce allow in 2022?

1. 0

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  2. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 2

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  4. 3

6 vote(s)
    16.2%
  5. 4

9 vote(s)
    24.3%
  6. 5

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  7. 6

6 vote(s)
    16.2%
  8. 7+

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Sauce didn't give up a TD in college, that's really not possible at the pro level.

I'm curious, how many TD you think he will give up this season?

2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

3. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

How many did Revis give up in ‘07?

I remember him getting burned by TO on Thanksgiving that year …

4. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

I said 6, he is a rookie and will be tested. That may actually be too low depending on how the Dline plays, could be more if we can't generate a pass rush.

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  5. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

Everyone is super focused on the not giving up TDs stat. IMHO, that's confusing cause and effect.

The reason Sauce didn't give up TDs is because opposing offenses stopped trying to throw TDs at him once they realized that it's just bad math to throw the ball his way. Sauce gave up an average of less than 2 inches per passing play in college. And while opponents didn't score TDs, Sauce got six picks and three pick sixes. When you are putting up those kinds of stats, no one is going to score a TD against you because they aren't going to try -- the statistics show that Sauce is more likely to get a TD on any given pass than you are if you throw in his direction, and any offensive coordinator who tried to throw at Sauce could justifiably be fired for being bad at math.

In the NFL, the question isn't whether it's possible that someone will beat Sauce or that Sauce might give up a big play. The question is whether, in the first five or six games, Sauce can convince opposing offensive coordinators that is mathematically a bad idea to throw at Sauce. If Sauce can keep the yards per passing play down in the cellar (maybe not 2 inches per passing play, but let's say under 6 inches), and if he can get enough picks that everyone knows it's an expensive gamble to throw his way, then offensive coordinators will quickly tell their QBs to focus on the other side of the field. Will that happen? Obviously, we don't know. But we did hear many reports from OTAs that Sauce is the real deal and that he is getting picks in practice against NFL receivers. If he can do his thing in real games -- press hard at the line, blanket receivers most of the time, and get a pick or two in the first five or six games -- opposing coordinators will stop throwing at him unless he falls down, same as they did in college. That's what will determine how many picks he gives up. It's not about whether you can beat him; it's about whether the math says you shouldn't try.

On that theory, I voted "2" in the poll. I predict that coordinators will test him in the first five or six games. He will give up a TD or 2, but he will also make enough big plays that coordinators decide it's not worth the risk, and they stop trying.

6. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Same, 6 sounded reasonable. We will see great flashes it'll take him a year at this position if he is truly special get it together and be a consistent corner. BTW, quick rant I always hated the "Shutdown Corner" moniker, it doesn't exist and never did. Every corner gets beat from time to time we saw Ramsey who is considered the best get beat deep by Evans in the divisional and Higgins even though he pushed off in the Super Bowl for potential game changing touchdowns. Revis in 09 was as close to a shutdown corner as we will see considering the rules and offense going forward.

The kid will be good. His college pedigree, size and measurables is as good as you can get. He'll have his learning curves but I believe in Sauce. 6 with 3 of them being bad ones is my guess.

7. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Ramsey gave up 2 TDs his rookie year. I have no reason to think Sauce isn’t as good as Ramsey.

WilsonJetsFan likes this.
  8. JETFUEL1580

Ramsey played at a higher level in college at FSU and he's a little bigger then Sauce, but I agree that their is no reason he can't better or just that good.

WilsonJetsFan likes this.
  9. KingRoach

Sauce is taller than Ramsey has longer arms and is about 10lbs heavier.

WilsonJetsFan and JETFUEL1580 like this.
  10. JETFUEL1580

Well if I stand corrected with the measurables ok. Ramsey looks slightly thicker then Sauce. Ramsey did play at FSU and has faced higher comp overall. I believe in Sauce and I hope he's even better the Ramsey.

11. KingRoach

Yeah, Sauce’s narrow build makes him look smaller than he is.

Ramsey is a beast and did it all in college.

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  12. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I went with 4, thinking he will do good keeping things in front of him. I'm also thinking he will probably get a few too many holding penalties early in the season until he gets used to how much more they are called in the pros compared to college.

13. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I think we are going to see a bunch of PIs, holdings and illegal contact early from him. His college take shows how handsy he is. What they don't call in the AAC will almost assuredly be called in NFL.

To answer the question I would say 5 TDs. But TDs are very tricky sometimes. Blown coverage in the backend or miscommunication doesnt necessarily mean he got "beat".

14. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I went with ZERO b/c it's training camp so why not!

I wonder how Saleh will use him in coverage:

1) Shut down one side of the field?

2) Follow the other team's #1 WR wherever he lines up?

3) Take on the other team's #2 WR m2m w/ no safety help while DJ Reed and Davis tag team the #1 WR?

4) Will Saleh play Sauce as just part of our cover 2 zone coverage? Could Saleh leave Sauce m2m while the rest of the D plays zone?

5) Will Sauce play up and jamb the WR or play back?

6) I wonder how many times Sauce will blitz from the edge and if he'll be any good at it.

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  15. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Since I know numbers and reading are hard for you:

Ramsey is 208 lbs

https://www.nfl.com/players/jalen-ramsey/

Gardner is 200 lbs

https://www.nfl.com/players/sauce-gardner/

Numbers matter.

If I was you, I'd now type out 3 paragraphs about the importance of knowing how to read, or of knowing that 2>1, but I'm not a gargantuan asshole with 0 friends.

These were you, right?

You are a hilarious combo of arrogant and dumb. You'll make a nice whipping boy for me as long as you can tolerate sticking around here and getting dunked on repeatedly.

#15 REVISion, Jul 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2022
    Nyjets4eva and KingRoach like this.
  16. KingRoach

I relied of google as I’ve never been next to either of them for a weigh in.

https://www.google.com/search?q=jalen+ramsey+weight&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

https://www.google.com/search?q=sauce+gardner+weight&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

I am kinda honored at the effort you’ve made to find me making a “bad take”. I know it’s been a long long long wait and it kinda almost paid off.

If you were me, you’d be waaay smarter and waaay more entertaining. You’d probably be taller and better looking….. but alas, you’re you. #sad

17. CaptainCap

CaptainCap Well-Known Member

When I attended Arizona State University I had the pleasure to watch Michael Haynes play CB. One of the greats of all time. Don't know how many TD's he allowed but he picked off 8 passes in his rookie year w/the Pats. Hoping Sauce can have a Michael Haynes rookie season. He was also a top draft pick at #5.

Acad23 and KingRoach like this.
  18. KingRoach

When I went to ASU I had the pleasure to watch Jake the snake Plummer bring some excitement.

Was manzanita new construction when you went?

19. CaptainCap

CaptainCap Well-Known Member

You mean Man I Need It Hall. It was fairly new. It was an all woman dorm.

20. KingRoach

I made the mistake of choosing the new Sonora over the ancient Manzy and immediately regretted not living in that sex fueled tower. Thanks for the flashback, Cap.

CaptainCap likes this.