Zach Wilson will...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JETFUEL1580, Jul 24, 2022.

1. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

No MILF jokes and saying that I know some will be made. I think we can all agree that if the kid doesn't take the next step this upcoming season not only is this season over but so is his Jets career (see Giants fan Daniel Jones outlook). I saw some bad things last season which we can all agree on. Under thrown passes, lack of poise in the pocket, yes he was a rookie with a bad O-Line, but on pure ability, and talent with what he was working with first time head coach Saleh. I have supreme confidence in Zach and his overall skill set is better then any QB we've had since Namath.

~ First 6 games of the season he attempted over 30 passing attempts outside of the Patriots 4 turnover debacle he only had 5 interceptions through that time period. He got hurt against the Pats in week 7. That's a respectable number for any QB let alone a rookie.

~ Threw only 2 interceptions the remaining games to 5 touchdown passes in the remaining 7 games which isn't great, but I ask look at the passing attempts in those games 24, 38, 42, 23, 22, 33, 20, no one can deny that it was respectful and for the ones who judge by the eye the kid looked much better the second half then the first.

- It goes without saying that weapons like Garrett Wilson, free agent signings of Uzomah, Conklin, and a backfield of Carter and Hall should improve his stats. Considering he is the goods that is. I didn't even mention the improved O-line with Tomlinson.

- Without a doubt we can all see Zach's athleticism and arm talent. He has a year of experience and has put on some size which never hurts.

- I'm gonna give Mike LaFleur a chance now seeing that he has an upgraded offense and will help in Zach's evolution.

- Their is a lot to be excited about this kid. He has more talent then Pennington, Clemens, Sanchez, and Geno Smith. He's better then an old Favre and a hot and cold Fitzpatrick.

My prediction for Zach Wilson this upcoming season

- Slightly over 3,500 passing yards, lets say 3,750 to be exact.
    - Over 25 touchdown passes, to be exact I'll say 27.
    - A QB rating of 93
    - Jets as a team wins 7 games with that hellious schedule
    - Last, is that Zach has the best season of the 2021 class slightly beating out Lawrence, none of the other QB's Lance, Fields, or Jones will be as statistically greater then the MILF GOAT :)

I think Zach can live up to this. Everything to be excited about skill wise is there, and his talent is better then what we have had in a very long time. He's the truth.

#1 JETFUEL1580, Jul 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2022
    Jeff M and WilsonJetsFan like this.
  2. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

My take:

In the last six games, Zach played really well with a bunch of scrubs. The stats during those games were dragged way down due to the scrub situation, not Zach's performance.

IMHO, for Zach to take a "leap," all he needs to do is play like he did the last 6 games but with NFL starters surrounding him. That alone will result in the kind of stats you're hoping for. If Zach's own play improves significantly, then "leap" becomes "large leap." My prediction: Large leap.

3. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Zack Wilson will…. Make half this board look foolish and the other half will feel vindicated

4. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

Can't wait to find out which half I'm in!

5. JETFUEL1580

Thank you for emphasizing the word "leap". I hope we both see the "leap" this upcoming season.

Brook! and WilsonJetsFan like this.
  6. JETFUEL1580

Half and Half, one of my favorite drinks is an Arnold Palmer.

Nyjets4eva and KingRoach like this.
  7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Zach Wilson will...

perform exactly as well as the system he is in let's him.

Brook!, Nyjets4eva and JETFUEL1580 like this.
  8. KingRoach

Have you tried the Canada Dry lemonade ginger ale? I don’t usually drink soda but I luuuuuv that stuff.

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  9. KingRoach

The system has been represented in 3 or the last 4 Super Bowls…..

It’s official @Br4d says were goin to the Super Bowl!!

FJF likes this.
  10. Br4d

The evidence suggests that Zach Wilson cannot run this system with high efficiency.

The evidence suggests that he would be stronger in a system that emphasized play outside the pocket and deeper throws than this system typically calls for.

The Jets can spend a lot of effort trying to get Zach Wilson to conform to this system or they can run a system that he is suited for and not wind up in a reset in a year or two of either the CS or the QB.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  11. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

I read this as an estate planning thread.

jetophile and Br4d like this.
  12. KingRoach

Oh boy. I can’t to to hear these guys with such opposing views duke it out.

crazy v crazy, let the crazy begin!!

13. JETFUEL1580

Seriously though, is the expectations for Zach to become a mid level QB this upcoming season with everything laid out that far fetched?

14. JETFUEL1580

I have not tried it. I have had the regular Canada Dry though. Love ginger ale.

15. KingRoach

If you see it in the store, buy it. Lmk.

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  16. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

I think Zach will be much better, but still not quite be at the level we'll need him to reach for the Jets to be a perennial playoff contender.

Nyjets4eva and JETFUEL1580 like this.
  17. KingRoach

It really depends on how the rest on the team performs… it’s not like Tannahill (sp) carried the Titans on his back.

Does Wilson need to lift the team or did JD (or BS) fulfill their promise in building a team to lift him?

I can’t wait to find out.

Will-I-Am-Not likes this.
  18. CaptainCap

CaptainCap Well-Known Member

This will be a better team and Zach will be better. However winning all depends on how quickly they jell. The schedule is a bear. Ravens, Steelers, Bengals, Packers, Broncos and Bills are all on tap during the first half. It may take half the season to see a big step up.

#18 CaptainCap, Jul 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2022
    nycarl, Brook!, mrjet80 and 2 others like this.
  19. Br4d

Pretty far-fetched. He was the worst qualifying QB in terms of passer rating last season.

Since Peyton Manning was drafted all the rookie QB's who have been worst qualifier in passing rating their rookie season:

Ryan Leaf
    Cade McNown
    Joey Harrington
    Kyle Boller
    Kyle Orton
    Bruce Gradkowski
    Jimmy Clausen
    Blaine Gabbert
    Geno Smith
    Blake Bortles
    Deshone Kizer
    Josh Rosen
    Zach Wilson

That's all of them. None of them turned into a good NFL QB, let alone a great one.

All of them had excuses as to why they had the terrible rookie season, some of them legitimate. Most of them were 1st round picks that started because their team picked them to be the starter.

20. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

I don't want to make excuses for Wilson's poor performances last year, and short of all the Jets playmakers getting injured at once, there will be no hypothetical reason for Wilson to play poorly this year. Any more poor play will all be on him.

That being said, I think it's only fair to say that Wilson was bound to have an adjustment period in his first year for a few factors. Obviously, one was that he came from a pretty good college program that steamrolled weak opponents, a far cry from the Jets' situation. Also, the COVID restrictions resulted in a less than typical (adequate?) preseason to come together as a team with new coaches and many new key players. And it didn't help that the inexperienced coaches were clearly feeling their way in general in their first year with the Jets (e.g., it took first year offensive coordinator MLF several games to realize that he stunk at calling plays from the field rather than from the coaches box).

Again, these likely factors are clearly not in play this season, and I think the Jets could justifiably cut bait if Wilson plays poorly again. I do agree that Wilson could have played worse with the "scrubs" and the other factors he confronted at the beginning of the 2021 season. I want to see some preseason polish before I call for a big leap in 2022.

#20 joelip, Jul 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2022
    nycarl likes this.