2022 Yankees Thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by Cappy, Mar 15, 2021.

1. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

The runner on second in extras in absolute disgrace to the game.

I don't get how fans could want to allow infielders to play a short OF position whether that be left or right. Baseball needs to make the game more exciting -- Removing the shift does that. Teams should be forced to have 2 infielders on both sides of second base, move them however you want based on that.

2. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Back to the Yankees.

Which scenario is your most preferred:

Yankees trade for Soto, giving up all their decent prospects including Volp, and they let Judge walk.

Yankees do not trade for Soto and pay Judge whatever it takes to retain him in the off-season.

Trade for Soto, sign Judge and let Soto walk after next season. Again assume you are giving up your best assets for the season and a half rental.

My son wants to trade for Soto and let Judge walk because Soto is younger and "better." The better part is subjective in my opinion. Soto has a better eye but lacks Judge's home run power. Judge is also a much better fielder than Soto.

If I were going from a pure statistical standpoint, all emotion removed, I guess I would go with Soto because of his age. But Judge is my favorite player and the heart and soul of this team. He's a tremendous outfielder and arguably the best power hitter in the game. I would be devastated if he left. If he went to the Mets I'd become a Mets fan. That's how much I like the guy. He's a total class act.

So what do you guys think? @Jonathan_Vilma @JackBower @Dierking typeOnegative13NY

3. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I would take Soto over Judge, but Judge has intangibles that aren't really measured. That being said Soto is a star and is still a kid. He's the only player other than trout and Harper, that I can think of, that can walk 100 times a season (Gallo somehow did it last year but he's awful). Soto could easily hit 40 home runs a year at Yankee Stadium with a .400 OBP.

dawinner127 likes this.
  4. NYJFOREVER

Soto walks more than he strikes out and still hits a ton of homers -- on pace for 30+ this year (easily) -- He's the only player in the MLB besides Mike Trout that I'd give up the entire Mets farm system for.

5. bicketybam

I hope the Mets do.

6. NYJFOREVER

Are you a Mets or Yanks fan? If Yankees, why do you hope the Mets trade for Soto?

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Letting Judge walk for Soto just feels like the type of move that implodes. Bird in the hand.

Soto has more power than he’s showcased. He’s just too good of a hitter. You almost have to hope you wouldn’t see the Mark Teixeira effect happening if he came here - batting average drops with the short porch.

You’re also likely committing to Soto for 15 years versus 9 or less for Judge even if he’s younger by a significant amount.

bicketybam likes this.
  8. bicketybam

Because I want the Yankees to keep Judge and I don't hate the Mets. I'd rather you guys empty you farms system than the Yankees.

9. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

In general I’d say I’d rather root for a homegrown superstar than an imported one. I just get a bad feeling that the Yanks are going to get stuck buying way, way high on Judge. Great as he is, and this season he’s off the hook, he’s a really big guy and gets hurt a lot. Plus he’s playing center field everyday. I can totally see him wearing down and having one of those Don Mattingly-type careers where the injuries just get the best of him.

10. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

They’ll both be about the same age when the contracts run out and I trust Soto way more than Judge at the end of that deal. There hasn’t been any history of someone Judges size when he gets to 36 37 38. Sotos game translates way better when he gets up in age and towards the end of the deal.

The one thing I cannot stand about Cashman is how long he holds onto these prospects hoping they eventually turn into an all star player. He did it with Frazier, Torres, Sanchez, and Andujar. He could have moved those guys for legit pieces and instead the Yankees ended up with Josh Donaldson. We don’t know what Volpe or Dominguez will become but it isn’t like Soto is 27 either. I would do it for Soto and not think twice.

Side note - I still think Torres can be a very good player

Since1969 and Dierking like this.
  11. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

Let's not forget the guy who's the key player here: Scott Boras, Soto's agent.

The Nats are going to demand a king's ransom for Soto, the kind of deal that makes sense only if the acquiring team can extend Soto as part of the deal. Boras, however, has a track record of taking his clients to free agency and not signing extensions beforehand. He knows that however enticing the current offer is, his client will get an even better offer after hitting free agency. What makes us think he'll change that practice for Soto?

Yeah, I know. The decision on an extension lies with the client, not the agent. But players don't hire Boras so they can tell Boras what to do. They hire him so that he can tell them what to do.

12. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Because at least with those changes (And I don't like those either, FYI), they actually address what was a perceived problem: The pace of the game.

Eliminating the shift will FURTHER encourage players to swing for the fences, with their "projectory angles", because now there is less of a chance for a lineout/flyout. It will produce even more strikeouts.

13. Dierking

How do you not have Stanton hit for Gallo in the ninth?

14. bicketybam

Good job fighting back to tie it but a loss is a loss is a loss. The Astros are going to be a big problem come playoff time and getting Soto won't change that.

#874 bicketybam, Jul 21, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2022
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Damn, Chapman has been relegated to mop up duty for $18 milly a year.

16. JackBower

The Astros are our Daddy

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  17. Dierking

Sox in snail biter tonight

Royal Tee likes this.
  18. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

They were robbed....

19. Dierking

Sox outscored 55-8 in their last three games.

20. JackBower

Damn real tough losing King for the year. They have to go for a bullpen arm now.

What's more concerning is how he injured it throwing a pitch. The last guy I remember breaking his elbow throwing a pitch he came back and did it again. Some guy on the rays years ago, but his arm totally snapped so maybe it's not that severe.