Didn't this guy come down hard on Joe Douglas one other time?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ROCCO, Jul 4, 2022.

1. ROCCO

ROCCO Active Member

Link has been removed by Brook!

#1 ROCCO, Jul 4, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2022
  2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I can’t believe SI is still publishing this guy.

3. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

What did he say that was untrue?

On paper we have addressed glaring weaknesses on both sides of the ball.

Injuries his us hard last year but our pass rush, offensive line, linebackers, and tight ends may have been the worst in the NFL last year when we looks at the product on the field.

You can suck only so long until it is time to point the finger at yourself instead of those that came before you.

Br4d, Jets69 and Ralebird like this.
  4. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

I stopped reading this guy's articles a while ago. He's a moron. His story seems to be that, a couple decades ago, he was a hack fan like the rest of us with no real football background who tried and tried to get a job as a scout. He sent boatloads of player evals to teams hoping that someone would take him on. Most teams weren't impressed, but eventually the Jets gave him a shot under Parcells. He lasted 4 years, and he has spent the last couple decades trying to get another scouting job without luck. And after having read some of his work, I can see why. He always creates headlines in which he refers to himself as a "former NFL scout," but it would be more accurate to say "guy who washed out after a brief stint as a scout and hasn't been able to get another job in the NFL for the last 20 years."

His articles these days seem to be in the click-bait vein. I suppose it gets clicks, and if any of his wild predictions ever pans out (eventually one has to), he can tell the teams how he saw something they didn't and rub their noses in it.

SI should be embarrassed for publishing his drivel.

As for this article, I won't waste any minutes of my life reading any of Kelly's work, but it doesn't surprise me that a washout like Kelly has an axe to grind against all the GMs that haven't hired him over the past couple decades.

Kelly aside, is Joe Douglas doing well? Most people seem to think so, including me. It takes more than a couple years to rebuild a team that was as bad as the Jets and that had their contract and cap situation as messed up as the Jets did. This was a huge offseason, and maybe that will be enough this year, or it may take another year for everything to gel.

Jojo, blackssmagic, REVISion and 7 others like this.
  5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Kelly is Dunning-Kruger personified, but his take on Douglas isn't as bad as TGG would like to believe.

6. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Wasted precious 30 seconds reading that crap. Selective take to make his point. I have no idea what his credentials are, but he was probably some two bit gofer in the scouting staff with zero claim of fame. Rating the hiring of Saleh after year one as an F, with the myriad of injuries is laughable BS. Didn't address fuck all how hard and unified this team was to the very end. Third stringers and nothing but rookies holding the fort. Claiming his time under Parcell as the standard for how to draft talent for the long term is hog wash. Parcell was all about the moment, and If my memory serves me right the team collapsed to shit after he left, talent wise.

7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

After Parcells left, the Jets made the playoffs every year their starting QB was healthy until 2011. If that's synonymous with collapsed to shit, then the current talent level of the roster is somewhere between nuclear waste sewer and Daniel Kelly's scouting acumen.

Pepsiguy5, Br4d, papapump and 2 others like this.
  8. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

Isn't he the same guy that said Jermaine Johnson was a 5th round pick?

9. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I think we can all agree on that.

How long is long enough? How long does a GM have to tear down and rebuild a franchise and have a winning record?
    1 season? 2 seasons? 10 seasons?

IMO 2 seasons with roster control and 1 season with a HC of his choosing is not long enough to give a thorough evaluation if you’re going to base it solely on rankings.

10. ROCCO

ROCCO Active Member

Indeed, what he said about Jermaine Johnson is posted below...

"In the 2022 NFL Draft, Douglas went for DE Jermaine Johnson in the 1st round. I am not a big fan of Johnson. I feel he is rigid and lacks the speed and moves to win the edge in the NFL"

Jojo and coloradojet like this.
  11. ROCCO

ROCCO Active Member

For whatever its worth, I believe Douglas has done a solid job since arriving, the roster as currently compromised has been upgraded with high ceiling talent and is trending in the right direction. Still a work in progress - but I like the vibe this team has right now.

12. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

This guy is the idiot to end all idiots.

A couple weeks ago, Daniel tweeted that the Jets should not have traded Darnold to draft Zach and should have kept Darnold around while we rebuilt the rest of the roster first.

In other words, we shouldn't have traded Darnold while he was still valuable enough to exchange him for a haul of draft picks that got us Breece Hall, Max Mitchell, and a 2021 6th round pick. Instead, we should have watched him fail another year until Carolina couldn't trade him for more than a conditional sixth (i.e., what we got for him minus Breece Hall and Max Mitchell).

Mind you, he expressed this dumb-ass opinion with the benefit of 2020 hindsight knowing full well that Darnold had already proven himself a non-starter in 2021.

Parcells should be ashamed of himself for letting this ass-clown in the building two decades ago.

Acad23, Noam and bicketybam like this.
  13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

And the duffus has the gumption to grade JD performance as a GM. LOL, JD has more football savvy in his jock strap than this nobody entire background.

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The problem with your analysis is that the Jets have outright stunk in the 2 seasons Douglas has had full control.

The two worst defensive seasons in team history alongside a misfiring offense are not indicators of a guy with a plan in the early stages.

6-27 has to mean something because a record that bad never happens by accident.

Note that JD took most of the Jets tradeable assets and discarded them for his plan and so far that plan looks much worse than the status quo he inherited.

We’ll see what happens this season but if it is as bad as the last two we’re just getting a bridge sold to us and not on the cheap either.

ouchy and HomeoftheJets like this.
  15. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Has it really looked much worse or did he inherit a mess. This team was bloated with over paid overrated free agents, in salary cap hell and not a lot draft capital.

What you do in that situation is exactly what Joe did acquire picks. The rebuild was set back a year because he was forced to keep Gase but it sure did put us in position to acquire draft capital.

He probably could have signed some vets and kept the Jets -8-8 in football purgatory like the Jets have done countless times.

Instead he did a true tear down and rebuild, that the Jets have not done in my life time.

It looks like he has built a solid yet young roster that should keep us competitive for the next 7+ years. I think we are a few pieces/maturity away from being real contenders but this is the NFL and any thing can happen.

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The defense is really concerning. Lots of people will make excuses but Joe Douglas did inherit a decent defense and its gotten worse each year since he's taken over

REVISion and Br4d like this.
  17. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I wonder if that has something to do with trading their best player and brining in a completely new scheme to the team.

It seems like people are suggesting JD should’ve just applied bandaids instead of performing a full operation.

cval and WilsonJetsFan like this.
  18. Br4d

There's a difference between the defense is underperforming due to personnel/scheme change and the defense sucks and is the worst all time for the team back to back years.

The Jets have allowed 961 pts in their last 33 games. That's more than a hundred points over what they allowed in any two season span before.

There is no way that the records they are breaking are not Joe Douglas fault. It's on his watch this has happened and by extension due to choices he has made.

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Probably yeah, he shouldn't have brought a new scheme when it didn't fit with the roster he was building. Unless Saleh was Woodys doing...

20. Br4d

Saleh was the kind of hire you would expect when ownership prioritizes marketable and GM prioritizes keeping control of the football side.