New York Jets Projected 53 Man Roster

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, Jul 2, 2022.

1. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

abyzmul, JetFanInPA and twown like this.
  2. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

The safety position is the biggest weakness right now Davis and Joyner stink and Pinnock is out of position playing safety. I love finally dumping Sheperd. He has been a horrible pick from Day 1. I got sick of throwing things at my TV cause of his bonehead penalties. It looked like he was purposely put in the game at a crucial time just to commit a bad penalty.

3. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

The linebacker position is scary…………scary as in it worries me.

Jets79 likes this.
  4. MaximusD163

I think it's a position that will have at least one addition by the time the regular season starts.

Jets79 and Acad23 like this.
  5. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Good write-up.

Unless Jonathan Marshall shows a lot in the offseason, I don't think he's earned a roster spot and is more of a practice squad candidate. I think Huff has shown a lot more and even though there are a lot of pass rushers, he would get the nod as he's the best player. As you say, JFM would seem likely to line up inside and outside, but maybe his base is more inside and starts along side Quinnen. I think Sheldon Rankins could be a sneaky cut if he has a poor offseason and or Jonathan Marshall looks good enough to be on the roster. He has a hefty salary for his level of play in 2021. He needs to show a lot. They really like Nathan Shephard. I don't, but I'm starting to wonder if he's a candidate to have some semblance of a breakout year.

Interesting decision to roll with two QBs and cut White, but it makes sense. With the injuries that keep popping for Jets QBs, it does scare me though.

I think 7 CBs is a lot and think one of them will be cut or dealt. Is Hardee that much more valuable of a ST player to stick and at his salary and lack of versatility? He'd be my tough choice to cut.

Unless one of Sherwood, Hamsah or Harris, I guess, shows a heck of a lot or they run minimal 3-LB looks, they need a vet. I'm happy with Quincy and CJ though.

Safety doesn't scare me actually. I think at least one of Joyner, Pinnock or Davis could be competent. Pinnock's arrow is pointing up and there's still belief Davis could be better.

Noam, abyzmul and MaximusD163 like this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don’t really see where the run defense improves. I don’t think Fatukasi was any good even though a lot of Jets fans overrate him, but we’ve literally added nothing up the gut or at linebacker.

I’m also curious to see across the entire NFL if any of these USFL guys latch into a roster.

abyzmul likes this.
  7. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Agree... we gotta add some beef at linebacker.

I've worked these USFL games all year... working the championship game right now....and there are some hitters...
    but the talent is kinda 2nd rate.

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

First person I have seen keeping Ty Johnson and I agree. We need a violent runner in the rotation. Call me crazy but if Nick Bawden doesn't work out, I wouldn't mind seeing them give Ty a shot at some FB reps. He seeks out contact already.

I really didn't find much to disagree with on your predictions.

MaximusD163 likes this.
  9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It's still my main problem with the roster, but Joe has time to make an impact signing or 2 during cutdowns.

MaximusD163 likes this.
  10. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Good review…

the things that concern me

- I’d like to find a way to keep White … hate to see him go unless we can get a decent draft pick back in trade I guess
    - linebacker is concerning … I like Mosleyand Q but that is literally all we have…I’m guessing we will make an addition here
    - safety is a concern as well…hard to know what we’ll get out of Joyner and Davis is awful
    - we need to find a way to keep Huff … he’s shown potential and you can never have enough good pass rushers
    - I am still super concerned about OT as I have little faith in Becton staying on the field and our third tackle is worriesome

all in all our roster is much improved I think as long as we stay decently healthy but to me OT, LB, and S are still huge holes

11. MaximusD163

I do have concerns as well. The Jets have pretty clearly built their defensive line to be an attacking, one gapping group. Their job is basically going to be pass rushing even on run downs, and in an interesting way they will be dictating the gap that the RB chooses. If they are effective at their assigned roles, the DL is primed to have a lot of TFL's and Sacks/QB hits in play action situations, and I do believe it's a sound philosophy.

I'm actually more worried about the LB and S units. This scheme will put a tremendous amount of pressure on the backers and safeties to come downhill quick while diagnosing the gaps and be consistent tacklers.

Noam likes this.