2013 was a weird Jets season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Aero, Jun 30, 2022.

1. Aero

Aero Well-Known Member

Random offseason topic while there’s nothing going on…

2013 was such a weird Jets season. I forget why I even started thinking about it in the first place, but I ended up looking at the wikipedia article on the year and had these observations/memories:

• Technically the end of the Sanchez-era in preseason, when he was sacrificed for the Snoopy Bowl (though the previous year’s MNF loss to Tennessee probably is the official dead man walking moment).
    • The WR room was… an adventure. At various points, some of us probably convinced ourselves that David Nelson and Greg Salas were solid WR’s, while Jeremy Kerley was very good. I feel like I remember hearing some training camp buzz for Clyde Gates, but it definitely never amounted to anything. Jeff Cumberland, a sneaky-good TE?
    • Santonio Holmes was still on the team! Apparently he played 11 games that year, per wikipedia, but gun to my head, I would have guessed maybe 5. I only remember a long TD against Buffalo in week 3.
    • One of only two seasons in the past decade where we actually had a win against New England.
    • Ed Reed was on the roster at one point.
    • We alternated win-loss for the first 9 weeks, before heading into the bye…
    • Which led to a fateful trip to Dave & Buster’s and getting blown out in Buffalo. One of three really bad blow-outs.
    • Somehow they won 8 games… and 2015 excluded, it feels like they haven’t come close since.
    [​IMG]

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

The Jets have had a lot of weird seasons.
    It's our stock in trade.

The highlight of that season was snuffing out Miami playoff hopes.

3. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

I remember that season very vividly. It's the year I moved back to the New York area for a few years. I remember we had a comeback victory against the Falcons in Atlanta on a MNF game...who btw were coming off an NFC Championship appearance the season before. Geno Smith lead the drive. Was watching the game at Fred's Bar in the Upper Eastside.

Yes Ed Reed was on the team and I can't remember a single thing he did. Obviously Rex signed him to be a part time coach and mentor. Also that's the signed that Sanchez got hurt in preseason I believe. Rotator Cuff against the Giants.

4. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Rex got fired at the end of the season right? or was that the next

5. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

A rare season where we played the Pats tough both times.

Acad23 and Aero like this.
  6. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Played only 7 games, still managed to tie for most INTs (3) that season for the team.

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  7. Ptflea2

It was the following season.

Even though the Jets got a ton of lucky breaks that year, it's nuts that Rex got 8 wins from that roster.

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Some more interesting tidbits.
    • We also won week one because of a moronic roughing the passer play by Lavonte David (still on Buccs roster & won SB with them two years ago) on Geno.
    • Geno realistically outplayed Brady in that Pats win.
    • We beat the Saints with 140 yards passing 25 of those yards were on an option pass
    • We scored less than double digit points in four games. They were all in a seven game stretch.
    • Chris Ivory was super fun to watch run. Our only 1K rusher of the past decade if I remember correctly in 2015.

Aero likes this.
  9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Was '13 the season Geno had a game with a perfect pass rating?

10. Ptflea2

I think it was '14. Last game of the season in Miami. Geno to Decker was workin well.

Acad23 likes this.