Which 2nd year QB will make the biggest leap?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Jun 29, 2022.

1. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

literally all the money they spent and moves they made in FA and it won’t help that team be any better or Lawrence imo. He would be closer to the bottom of my list with Justin fields

2. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Why?

3. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

I think Lawrence will have the biggest leap because of Pederson (put it this way: he'd better).
    But I really don't care if Wilson doesn't have the biggest leap. Looking at Josh Allen's first
    3 seasons, he started with a partial season going 5-6 with 10 td's and 12 int's, QBR 49.8, the
    second season he threw for 20 td's and 9 int's, QBR 49.4 but his team went 10-6, then exploded
    the third season with 37 td's and 10 int's, 13-3 record and QBR of 76.6. I'd be delirious if
    Wilson could duplicate that.

The other QB's will probably be about the same. Mac could be better but it probably won't
    make any difference because the Pats lost a lot of key defensive players and the schedule is
    hard.

4. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Trevor Lawrence will make the biggest leap. While he's not the most physically gifted QB in his class, he is solid and saw a young QB make the most of a very difficult situation last year and do some really good things. His game and the teams performance against the Colts who needed to win that game to make the playoffs was impressive.

I think Zack Wilson also makes a big leap. he has WR's, a running game and hopefully a solid O-line. Wilson has the physical tools he just needs to settle in with his timing and not rush his throws. Give him another year where he is not the main focal point of the offense and let him settle in. LaFleur needs to do better play calling as well.

I love Lance's potential and skill set, and he has the right coach a structure around him. But he's barley played in in almost 3 years. Will need to see more.

Fields I'm a huge fan of and wouldn't have mind if the Jets selected him. But he's in a difficult situation with no weapons, and a new GM and Coach. Not a good sign at all with the new GM who has no loyalty to Fields and can easily blame discard him in a year or so if he doesn't come out lights out. I feel bad for the kid in all actuality and the Bears are a huge mess as an organization.

Mac Jones will be fine, but I think his overall skill set is average. I don't see a lot of upside compared to the others. He'll do well again and probably put up slightly better numbers but nothing special.

Davis Mills should progress as well, but he doesn't have any weapons as well, though I do like his skill set a lot. He would have been a top 15 pick in this past draft.

#24 JETFUEL1580, Jun 30, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
  5. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

We can separate it a different way too. There's three teams that went out their way to upgrade/provide talent to the O.

Jags, Jets and Texans.

All three have invested in the O heavily this off season, which should provide their QBs a better chance to get better.

One player I really worry about: Fields - WTF are the bears doing for that guy. This feels like a case study of what not to do with a first round QB.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  6. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

Most definitely lots of new faces. Sauce, Reed, Whitehead, and Joyner.

Quincy Williams is a new starter at LB.

Carl Lawson and Jermaine Johnson are new to the Jets.
    So 7 new starters altogether on defense.

Tomlinson, Wilson, Uzomah, Hall

So 4 new starters on offense.

Zuerlein I'm HOPING becomes our permanent Kicker. Everyone else the Jets used last year were atrocious.

So 12 new starters the way I see it?

The have a ton of new faces and they all have to learn chemistry with the rest of the team....

7. NYJ1970

I agree Davis Mills belongs. I completely forgot about him. With that said, I would put the Texans dead last. Worse than the Bears. Texans roster sucks.

8. NYJ1970

A MIKE MACAGNAN case study? The Bears are hanging Fields out to dry the very same way Mac did to Sammy. It's just so stupid. People like that should NEVER be in charge of professional football teams. Just doesn't make any sense. It's like Fields is a diamond placed directly on top of a TURD which is the Bears offense. And no matter how hard you try you're never going to polish a turd.....

Noam likes this.
  9. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

On the offensive side of the ball the OL moves were good, but Kirk for 90m, Zay Jones and Treadwell suppose to scare people for skill positions? Oh and Evan Engram lol didn’t like the moves and money they spent in FA. Don’t see that helping him much at all. All they did was throw money around to me

Noam likes this.
  10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Kirk is gonna make a big impact. He is a talented WR that can play inside and out

11. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Lance by a country mile and then some. While the roster is more talented than other teams on this list, the separation between the Niners' coaching staff and the rest is greater. They have a system, they're consistent, not rushing, and the HC has experience grooming QBs. Really, the best staff that one could ask for.

Hoping that Saleh and LaFleur can build the same consistency and culture here. If they do, even if Zach isn't the answer, the Jets will be 100% fine in the long term.

12. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

Somebody was listening:
    https://jetsxfactor.com/2022/07/11/josh-allen-year-3-breakout-can-guide-ny-jets-qb-zach-wilson/

13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

FJF likes this.