Deshaun Watson Traded to Browns

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Br4d, Feb 20, 2022.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

One more time - you don't know WTF you are talking about. I never claimed that any suspension would have him sue the league.

Are you still of the opinion that no player can sue the league?

2. Ralebird

duplicate

#282 Ralebird, Jun 28, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
  3. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Due process would only come into play with an employer if liberty or property rights were involved. Since neither issues are involved, due process is not in question.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  4. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I quoted where you said just that. Are you claiming someone changed your original post?

5. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Just a gut feeling here- With the "ME too" and "Believe all women", not to mention the perceived attack on woman's rights, movements we are seeing across the country- I suspect a year is given by the mediator.

Watson will then appeal through the players union and the case will be heard by the NFL (Goodell presiding). He will likely punt to 3rd party arbitration and then the suspension will be determined. 6-8 weeks IMO.

Should get interesting today

6. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

guys come on, your hurting his ego with facts and the truth

bicketybam and KingRoach like this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

the entire process is a dog and pony show and really comes down to whatever Goodall wants and nothing else matters and nothing can be done about it because it's what everyone agreed to

8. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

The whole thing started because a few posters were happy that we would most likely play the Browns without Watson. Then Ralebird chimed in with a "not so fast. He will most likely sue and he could end up playing."

This position was taken to "throw some cold water on a nice break for the Jets just to be a dick."

9. The Waterboy

The current hearing is with the 3rd party arbitrator right now, if he appeals the ruling and Goodell upholds it then his only other recourse is taking the Br*dy route, Fuck Br*dy, but if he does go that route it will likely push his suspension to next season.

So a big question is do they want to risk the chance that the court pushes his suspension until next year but also maybe reduces it to say 12 games. A full year suspension this year the contract just tolls to next season so he loses no money. Pushed to next season but a suspension of 12 games he would lose $32.5 million.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  10. GasedAndConfused

Oh i know. I'm just tacking onto it because I already proved him wrong a few times over on this matter after I let him dig his hole too deep to back out of it and then made him a hypocrite out of himself. It was pretty great so I'll continue to point out his nonsense in fun ways

bicketybam likes this.
  11. Ralebird

His salary is property. His liberty to work elsewhere is limited by the NFL. We shall see what the outcome is in about a week, I would suspect.

Having the prosecutor hear appeals is not something due process would allow in a court of law; I believe that may very well be a point of contention if a lawsuit comes from the case.

12. Ralebird

No. I am saying your post claimed something entirely different.

13. Ralebird

The CBA does not allow "Goodell to punt to 3rd party arbitration," he either rules himself or a party designated by him alone decides. There is no impartiality in the appeals process; that could be a problem for the NFL.

14. Ralebird

Aren't you the guy who tried to use as proof that a player cannot sue the NFL the fact that a player sued the NFL?

15. Ralebird

Those words you put in quotations are not mine. To claim they are is an outright lie. WTF is wrong with you?

16. The Waterboy

Due process is for the government to follow. Private employers are usually an at will issue so due process does not come into play.

His liberty to work elsewhere is not at all limited by the NFL, he can go to the CFL, one of the other pro leagues or even get a job bagging groceries. Besides that is not what liberty refers to, arbitrary and unreasonable restraint is what liberty means in this context.

As far as salary, it is spelled out in the CBA how suspensions and fines are handled. Suspending someone without pay is not taking his property since he had not earned it yet.

Goodell is not the prosecutor so not sure where you came up with that part.

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

What is taking them so damn long?

18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

But its in the CBA that only their base salary is affected by suspension, not their signing bonus, he gets to keep that no matter what. Brady used that loophole

Watson is going to restructure his 2023 salary no matter what. Its in the Browns best interest as well to convert most all of the outrageous $46M base salary into a signing bonus. They are out the cash either way but this would help them with the cap.

So under your scenario - Watson appeals to 2023, plays 2022, restructures 2023 salary. Maybe he sits 12 games in 2023 but still makes over $80 million in those 2 seasons in the form of signing bonuses.

But Lord Goodell can claim "justice served" :D

19. GasedAndConfused

aren't you the guy twisting words to try and not be wrong despite being clearly wrong?
    If that's the way you see it, then you're even more ignorant that I thought and that was already sky high before this comment. the good news is, all your attempts to try and deny has just turned you into a joke here and ruined all your credibility. at this point you might as well make an alt and start over when you should have just done this

joe likes this.
  20. GasedAndConfused

Based on some of his replies, I think he's high as fuck. next hell be asking "how can our eyes be real, if mirrors aren't real"

they are following the process laid out in the CBA, the thing is, the process doesn't matter because Goodall has final say regardless so ti's a dog and pony show really. a ruling will probably come next week