Jets can OPT OUT of lease at the big air conditioner after 2024

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ROCCO, May 26, 2022.

1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I recall when it was build, it had designs to be roof ready, so it won't be a big deal if they want to spend. No, it does not rival building a new stadium, because roof will cost a few hundred millions, while new stadium several billion. Still, I don't see it happening. I hear they actually don't want it to have advantage over other teams who are not used to colder weather. Either that or they are just too cheap.

2. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

LOL, c'mon, you know that answer..... $$$$$$ Now, I realize it's "half-Giants" too. I have never fully blamed Woody for this. That old school "elements" argument could have been held by Mara-Tisch

3. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

If the New York Islanders can convince various governments in New York to spend funds towards THREE different stadiums over a 10 year period, The Jets should be able to convince them to build a freaking fortress!!!

Royal Tee likes this.
  4. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Also look at the deal Hochul gave the Bills for their new stadium scheduled to open in 2026.

5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

For an excellent stadium experience, Citi Field is light years ahead of Met Life. Even if the Mets were still the losers of years past, going to Citi Field had a far warmer "feel" to it. Hard to quantify but anyone who's been to both ballparks can chime in on this..

6. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

im a diehard Yankee fan, just to avert the idea I might be biased. Citi field ranks among the best home field stadiums of all sports. Everything about it gives a Mets vibe and a feeling of fandom. MetLife feel is like a dive bar with signs stuck on the bathroom mirrors “oh hey the Jets are here this week”.

Brook!, Cman68, Royal Tee and 3 others like this.
  7. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I miss Shea.

8. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I was at game 4 of the 2000 NLCS when the Mets, down 2-0 in the bottom of the first, hit 4 consecutive doubles to start their half of the inning. I was in the upper deck and the stands were swaying from all the cheering. It was actually quite nerve racking haha.

The place was a dump, but I miss the huge scoreboard in RF at Shea. I saw Mo Vaughn hit one about 3/4 the way up it, the closest I think anyone ever came to hitting one over.

Found the video.

Vaughn's tape-measure blast | 06/26/2002 | MLB.com

Brook!, Acad23, Cman68 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Yeah... Shea was a shithole... but I have fond memories of it.

The last game I attended there was the '81 AFC wild card game vs. the Bills... without a doubt the most exciting game I ever saw live.

10. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Leon Hess tried but NY wouldn’t do it. Shea was a dump and we deserved our own place. Moving to Giants stadium was a last resort. Woody tried like hell to get the West Side built but NY politics is a dirty dirty world. I am not in the business of defending Woody but where we play it ain’t his fault. And there is no way in hell he’s leaving after 2024 since our PSL helped just pay off the place. Besides, if he did build it would be in NJ. Nobody wants to go to the dirty filthy crime ridden shit hole of NY. Let’s win some Super Bowls and get over where we play or what color uniforms we wear

11. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

I agree except there are no escalators to each deck like the old place so getting out is a nightmare. And the look inside is very generic and feels like a Home Depot. And the seats in the upper deck are really small. But like you said winning cures all

12. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

13. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

MetLife and the New Yankees stadium are exactly what you get when the bottom line is what's most important.

-An infamous blind spot in new Yankee stadium because they chose to extend a private centerfield area...Horrible decision.
    -Metlife since day 1 was just a slab of concrete w/colored linen that was created to be able to switch out and hold more Moar MOAR events.
    -Citi Field looks like they tried to pay respect to the game while creating a nice experience for the fans..

Cman68 and Brook! like this.
  14. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Wish we had a sexier stadium. it is what it is. It is June. I am thirsty for Jets football. I am craving very hard for the first tailgate of the season against Ravens. September can't come soon enough.

Royal Tee likes this.
  15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

You made this up.

Eight and a half million people want to live in NYC and in 2019 pre-Covid 66 million people visited - 56 million are expected this year.

Damn, good thing "nobody wants to go" there - it would be awfully crowded.

17. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

18. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I was a season ticket holder for years and I sure as fuck don't want to go there. NYC is a shit hole.

19. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I was a season ticket holder at Shea and it was easy to get to with plenty of room for tailgating. The razing of the junkyards in the area would allow for plenty of new parking. Shea was a crap building in 1964 and got worse every year, but there's no reason not to follow the "sports complex" theme of other cities by putting numerous stadiums in the same place. I have never felt unsafe or unclean at any time in Flushing Meadows.

20. JohnnyJet1222

JohnnyJet1222 Active Member

While it's true that Woody tried, after the west side stadium was shot down by crooked politicians, Woody met with the Queensborough president with a plan to build a state of the art stadium next to citifield. If I remember correctly there was even a press conference. But Woody the carpet bagger used this as leverage to get the shit box built.