2023 ESPN way too early draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by LAJet, Jun 28, 2022.

1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

First off I think is BS. Secondly I find their projection repulsive at this point.
    ESPN has us getting the first pick. That to me constitutes and absolute and outer failure. I don’t have access to the full read so I don’t know who they picked but for those who do see attachment below.
    If we remotely approach drafting within the first 8-10 picks I’m going to be sick to my stomach. If that is the case it would signify that either Wilson had a massively crappy year, or most of the moves in the draft and free agency showed no appreciable improvement.
    .https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2023/...st-round-picks-landing-spots-six-quarterbacks

2. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

ESPN sucks.

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  3. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I feel very confident in saying we will not be bad enough to get the number 1 overall pick.

blackssmagic, JETFUEL1580 and LAJet like this.
  4. bicketybam

I bet that there are least 2 people here that will disagree with you.

Jojo likes this.
  5. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Better start buying Pepto-Bismol now; the teams in those positions this year each had seven wins. That's a game and a half more than the consensus Vegas is betting against. If that's going to have you hovering over the bowl you just haven't been paying attention.

6. bicketybam

What did I tell you

Jojo likes this.
  7. Ralebird

Hey look! BB doesn't know WTF he's talking about!

He comments about the number one pick and then thinks he was talking about picks 8 - 10.

8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I’m in Vegas as we speak, and the spread for over and under for the Jets is 6 games. Over -110 Under - 120. But I’m more confident about the Jets than many. I’m of the opinion the Jets will win over six games so you are correct in your response about draft position versus number of wins. Having said that, the projection of drafting first, meaning one or two games is utterly ridiculous to me. If it proves true, Pepto-Bismol won be strong enough.

9. Ralebird

The ESPN article is paywalled; the last thing to be seen is the Jets listed as the first pick but the paragraph above that states the ranking is based on the Football Power Index which shows the Bears at #32 and the Jets as #31. That FPI's biggest rap against the Jets is the Offensive component of the FPI and only the Bears and Falcons are worse. A lot of the data doesn't populate until the season starts.

Can you give us an idea about the discussion of the Jets' outlook or even cut and paste the comments on the Jets?

KingRoach likes this.
  10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I was hoping someone here at TGG that subscribes to ESPN can help us with that. I know a few do. I suspect strength of schedule was their big driver, but I can’t imagine the Jets struggling more than the Bears, Falcons, Lions, Jags, and even Seattle at this point.

11. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

1. New York Jets

Will Anderson Jr., DE, Alabama*

Anderson is the unquestioned top player on my Big Board for next season. At 6-foot-4, 243 pounds, he has shades of Von Miller to his game. He's not supersized like Joey or Nick Bosa or Chase Young in terms of his frame, but his quickness and power getting to the quarterback netted 17.5 sacks and 101 tackles last season.

Why not a quarterback for the Jets if they're drafting No. 1 overall? Some teams might give up on quarterbacks early, but the Jets' front office, led by general manager Joe Douglas, isn't the type to panic. We've an seen example of this as the franchise has stood by left tackle Mekhi Becton after early struggles. Barring a complete unraveling by Zach Wilson -- the No. 2 pick in 2021 who showed promise down the stretch last season -- it's unlikely the Jets would start over at quarterback.

Ask and yea shall have!

KingRoach, Ralebird and LAJet like this.
  12. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If the Jets are picking top 3 in 2023 JD is gone.

This assuming the ownership isn't completely braindead at this point. Teams that pick in the top five 3 years running are also running on empty and they're years away from contention.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I know we have in the past expressed opposite viewpoints regarding the future of the Jets but on this subject I am in 1000% agreement. If we pick top third in the 2023 draft I think we have massively failed as an organization at improving the team and may I add the CS. I don't expect miracles but I expect for us to be in contention on every game. As such, being the third worst team in the league is an unacceptable position to be in three years running.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I don't know that he'd be an automatic out, but there would be some kind of shakeup. You don't have a draft like this and then finish worse than the year before and get away with it.

blackssmagic and stinkyB like this.
  16. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

JD may not get canned in that scenario, but Saleh's bags would be packed before "Black Monday"

abyzmul likes this.
  17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I don't know, I think I said it somewhere else, but Saleh has a scapegoat firing he can probably use to extend a year. If Ulbrich is still calling the defense, we're probably going to have a promenade between the defensive hash hashmarks this year.

18. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

I think JD gets to at least see Salah through his 3rd year. And at this point JD has done his job to fill or attempt to fill the roster with top tier talent and what seems on paper perfect stop gap vets.

JD has done his job question is cab Salah and co coach them up ?

FJF and Leicester Jet like this.
  19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I can't believe there are multiple TGG posters who think it's alright to keep Douglas even if we end up with a draft pick that cements his Jets tenure as Kotite-level bad (and even Kotite only got 2 seasons!). It's like all the losing has warped people's minds into thinking losing is okay. Where are the standards? The passion?? Anything???

20. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

What coaching candidate would take the Jets job if the Jets picked in the top 3 and Douglas were still here? Even Gase might turn it down, wherever he is these days.