Rex Ryan favorability poll

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, Jun 27, 2022.

?

As a Jets fan, do you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion of Rex Ryan?

1. Favorable

66 vote(s)
    82.5%
  2. Unfavorable

14 vote(s)
    17.5%
  1. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

He made a both large and controversial impact on the history of this franchise.

As a Jets fan, do you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion of Rex Ryan?

2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Our owner, front office, and GMs really let him (and nacho) down. Tim Tebow??? That's just for starts.

Royal Tee and boozer32 like this.
  3. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

A lot of promise was there, unfortunately, I think It took that experience to get to this one. Fortunately, things are looking like they might be trending In the right direction finally.

Fingers crossed.

Jojo, KY Jets Fan and Cman68 like this.
  4. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

He might have blown out quickly, but he made this team fun to watch for a short while. I think I will always have positive memories of him. In the end, what he said when Mark Sanchez was drafted was prophetic. He said Sanchez would be the quarterback of the Jets as long as he was the coach and once Sanchez flamed out, Ryan very quickly followed him out of the door.

5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Rex was what this franchise needed at the time. Swagger, attitude, nastiness was all missing until Ryan bought it with him. Bart Scott was a great addition as well giving the defense some credibility. The Defense tended to take on Rex's persona but unfortunately, the offense was Rex's achilles' heel. Once the league caught up with Rex's blitzing due to a lack of a pass rush, the clock started ticking.

Jojo and ouchy like this.
  6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Rex did what he could with what he was given. The NFL adjusted to him as a HC much faster than it ever did as a DC.

The only way Rex stays relevant as a HC is with a strong organization behind him to support him well on the field while tempering his weakest impulses - of which there were more than a few.

In hindsight the reason the Ravens never seriously considered him for the HC position is that they knew that when his cannons got loose they would roll all over the deck and squish bystanders like bugs in the process.

Footballgod214 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  7. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Bisciotti explains decision to hire John Harbaugh over Rex Ryan
    During a fan forum conference call on Tuesday night, Steve Bisciotti explained why he picked Harbaugh over former Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan, who stayed on the job for one more year before becoming the head coach of the Jets.

“From a chemistry standpoint . . . we really liked John and we thought it was going to be tougher for Rex to bring the whole team together after him spending 10 years on one side of the ball that was the dominant side of the ball,” Harbaugh said, via Jamison Hensley of the Baltimore Sun.

Ryan has done well in New York, taking the Jets to the AFC title game in each of his first two seasons with the team.

“I will always be second-guessed,” Bisciotti said. “Some people will agree with me and some people won’t. I just had to make a gut decision and so far it’s worked out pretty well. I hope it gets us to the Super Bowl and brings back a couple of trophies to Baltimore.”

It’s possible that Bisciotti also didn’t want an brash, outspoken, shot-calling head coach, even though Bisciotti would never say that. Though Rex Ryan’s approach has worked well for the Jets, Rex’s style could rub some owners the wrong way. Indeed, the talk in league circles for years was that Rex and Rob Ryan had been held back from head-coaching jobs due to concerns that they’d be as brash and outspoken as their father, Buddy.

That’s exactly what has happened, and the Jets surely wouldn’t have it any other way.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...decision-to-hire-john-harbaugh-over-rex-ryan/

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rex was bitter about not getting Ravens' job
    ...Ryan admits he was bitter about not being named the Ravens' head coach in 2008.
    "I had 10 years there," he said Wednesday. "That's hard to dismiss.

"There wasn't one person in that organization that I didn't like, with the exception of Ozzie," Ryan said, jokingly, of Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome. "Really, they treated me well and all that. Was I bitter about not getting the head coaching job? Yes, absolutely, but when it was determined that John Harbaugh was going to be the head coach, I wanted to be the best coach that he's ever had under him and be the best coach I can be, and not worry about the job that I didn't have. That's how I approached the job.”

Ryan served as Harbaugh's defensive coordinator for one season before being named the Jets' head coach in 2009.

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/7527/rex-still-bitter-about-not-getting-ravens-job

Footballgod214 likes this.
  8. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Rex had some bad draft input (Coples for example). Tanny a 'contract guy' GM set the team up for a short window stab vs. smart drafting franchises (e.g. Pitt, Balt) that had true "talent recognizing" personnel and a consistent, sustainable operating model. Another thing: Rex's teams always sucked after a bye (you'd think they'd have taken advantage of the 2-week preparation advantage....think of the Buffalo game that was moved to Detroit because of a blizzard in Buffalo; Bills players having to snowmobile their way to get to transportation....and after all that, they still ended up tinkling on the poorly-prepared RexJets)... And yeah, Rex was fun at times (beating NE in NE in the playoffs) ....but he also had a little too much "I-Rex" on the brain, i.e. a little too much hubristic Buddy Ryan in him. He was an affable Buddy Ryan whose offenses eventually withered on the vine...

9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Most playoff games of any Jet coach.
    Most playoff wins of any Jet coach.

Was it pretty?
    Nope... but it sure was fun.

10. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Haven't we seen this question here before?

11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

By hook or by crook ...he got the Team back into the Playoffs

Perhaps one day he is rehired and we play footsie with him once again;)

12. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Favorable but I do think his shtick is overdone at this point.

13. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

I see Rex as the football analog of Billy Martin. He has a strong personality, generates a buzz around the team, and fans love him. While he achieves short-term success, he and his act have a short shelf life. (But at least Rex never punched out any marshmallow salesmen).

#13 Since1969, Jun 28, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
  14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Rex's failures far outweighed his success. 2009 and 2010 were great seasons. Especially 2010. Even that season ended with the Jets not showing up for the first half in Pittsburgh though.
    2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014 were BRUTAL. It's funny seeing fans act like they did not happen or something.

He really pissed me off blaming Mark Sanchez as if that is why he failed in the playoffs. Sanchez literally threw an 80 yard touchdown in the AFC Championship Game. The Jets had a 17-6 lead in that game. The following year Sanchez set the Jets up for a win at the end in Pittsburgh, and the defense couldn't get a stop. I really don't like people who blame others and can't accept they are the problem. That is Rex 100%.

Rex had to go and then he failed in Buffalo too. I voted unfavorable and it was an easy vote.

15. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Before Rex, the franchise hadn't been relevant since Parcells (another brash personality).

That's why I was all in favor of John Harbaugh before signing Robert Salah last year, similar type of bravado.

I voted favorable, as miserable as the last 3 years of his tenure was.

16. Jojo

Jojo Well-Known Member

Rex gave the jets something we never thought we'd see...back to back AFC championship games. Fun to watch. I dont think we have ever had more than 2 consecutive winning seasons in a row at any given time. We may have had 3 once.
    This has to change!

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Sad thing is that I think if Rex made some even minor adjustments he wouldn't have washed out.

By the 10's, the league had figured out him & his brother's defense. He doubled down and it got him canned here and in Buffalo. But his defense from a philosophical standpoint was predicated on taking away the opponents best weapons. That alone doesn't go obsolete. But when you fail to recognize what their best weapons are when they change, it does.

He was still playing press man with receivers and 46 defense on the run when offenses were spreading out and pick & popping it to death with RBs & TEs. Instead of adjusting he stuck with what he always did. Sad.

Of course he was good at motivating (certain) players but an underrated skill was that he was also good at building relationships. I think his staffs were some of the best we've seen. Ultimately though his style was broken at the core. Instead of trying to *beat* Peyton Manning's offense, if he tried to *become* Peyton Manning's offense with his defensive fundamentals and motivation, he might've been a HOF coach.

stinkyB, HomeoftheJets and Acad23 like this.
  18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Rex was a player's coach. With Billy Martin you were either one of his guys or in the doghouse. If Belichik popped off now and then he'd be a good Billy Martin comparison but he's buttoned up tight.

19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Rex brought a lot of energy and got the team to over perform its actual talent level his first two years, but then the wheels came off. Part of that was due to poor personnel decisions, but he was was also involved in those. And all along it was obvious that he was one-dimensional - defense - and had no knowledge or seeming desire to acquire knowledge about the other aspects of the team. In short, he was the worst thing imaginable: just successful enough to get everyone to hope and believe the Jets were better than they actually were, and thereby set the franchise back years.

20. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

If you have an extremely talented veteran squad who are professionals and will prepare well to do their job, Rex is a great coach because he doesn’t have to do anything other than run his mouth, which he’s very good at. But, if Rex does not have one of the better rosters in the league, he’s one of the worst head coaches out there because he doesn’t prepare, isnt disciplined, doesn’t make his team disciplined, and can’t run a team from the standpoint of management and preparation.

Those jets teams were loaded with HOF talent and many aged veterans who already knew what they were doing professionally and didn’t need a head coach to hold them accountable for it. They had real veteran leadership in LaDanian Tomlinson, Faneca, Mangold, Bart, Revis, David Harris, Calvin Pace, Bryan Thomas, D’Brickashaw Ferguson, Antonio Cromartie, Jericho Cotchery, Shaun Ellis, Kris Jenkins, Jim Leonard, Brandon Moore, Jason Taylor, Damien Woody, and other really talented players like Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards, Dustin Keller, etc.

Once those guys began to leave, Rex’s teams sucked for years and he eventually god fired. The Bills had good talent but not like the names above, and Rex sucked there as well. Give any coach that all star squad above and they will do really well. Rex can’t lead a team or manage an organization in the least. He’s good at talking shit but doesn’t put the work behind it to back it up. He’s unprepared and so are his teams, save for the HOF lineup he had for 2 years.

ColoradoContrails likes this.