Predict the final 53 man roster

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, May 25, 2022.

1. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I had in fact mentioned to another commenter that I had traded Bryce.

We do finally have a deep CB room but I think with, Sauce, Reed, Echols, Carter, and Guidry we still have a very deep, talented and young room.

I believe we went in with the same amount last year (gained 2 lost 2) and could get a 3rd round pick for a starting CB on his rookie contract.

2. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I honestly don't understand all the love for Flacco. He has already been handed the backup QB spot on the depth chart. I thought White showed enough against the Bengals to deserve to be #2 for now. I understand Flacco brings some veteran mindset to help Wilson, but isn't that what an OC or QB coach is for?

abyzmul, BrowningNagle and Nyjets4eva like this.
  3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

It is June 26; today's depth chart is all but meaningless. I agree wholeheartedly that coaches coach, players play; the "mentor" crap is way overrated and should not be used as a reason to burn another roster spot. On the other hand, going with only two QBs leaves an uncomfortable shortage when injury rears its ugly head.

tomdeb likes this.
  4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

the owner loves Joe Flacco.

It is just another case of Woody Johnson meddling

abyzmul likes this.
  5. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I'm going to bet that Zach Wilson makes the team and...Berrios. I'm not sure about the other 51.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

:D Sauce Gardner is a pretty safe bet

dmw likes this.
  7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yeah, I'm tired of the "mentor qb". The best arms of the past 20 years, how many of them needed a mentor? Especially one that has publicly stated his distaste for the role.

Acad23 and tomdeb like this.
  8. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Maybe he's acting more like a coach than a backup.

9. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Here's my quaranting with COVID pre training camp roster projection:

QB (3): Zach Wilson – Joe Flacco – Mike White
    If they can hold onto all three, I’d do it. Mike White could be a longer-term backup

RB (3): Breece Hall – Michael Carter – Tevin Coleman
    Surprise that it’s only 3, but given where they took Hall and how good Carter was, I think it’s more of a two-headed backfield with Coleman spelling occasionally. They keep at least one RB on standby on the PS

FB (1): Nick Bawden
    Bawden seems to be the better fit at FB

WR (5): Elijah Moore – Corey Davis – Garrett Wilson – Braxton Berrios – Jeff Smith
    5 seems light, but I don’t buy the Mims hype until I see it and don’t see another rosterable WR. Smith offers more on offense and ST and feels like more of a roster lock than he’s getting credit for. I might add Mims to the PS if possible, but he might get a fresh start. They’ll likely run a lot of 2-TE sets also, making 6 WRs less necessary

TE (3): Tyler Conklin – CJ Uzomah – Jeremy Ruckert
    I went back and forth on keeping one of Cager and Yeboah, but I think the last spot for me, another DT, is a greater need whereas there would no role on offense for Cager or Yeboah if the top three are healthy.

OT (4): George Fant – Mekhi Becton – Riley Reiff – Max Mitchell
    I’d swap McDermott for a vet like Reiff. Mitchell is next year’s swing OT or starter

IOL (5): Alijah Vera-Tucker – Connor McGovern – Laken Tomlinson – Dan Feeney – Nate Herbig
    Toyed with cutting Herbig, but unsure of Reiff’s versatility to play inside. If he can, I’d consider going down to 4 here. Feeney played well along the interior when called on

DE (5): Carl Lawson – Jermaine Johnson – Jacob Martin – Bryce Huff – Michael Clemons
    No surprises, but Huff is too good of a pass-rusher to cut. They need to find space for him.

DT (5): Quinnen Williams – John Franklin Myers – Nathan Shephard – Solomon Thomas – Jonathan Marshall
    Tough choices here. I think Rankins is a goner if he doesn’t show improvement this offseason. I also don’t think Thomas is a lock. I do think they like Shephard more than us fans do and wonder if he could have something of a breakout year. I’m just going to guess Marshall shows something, especially as a run defender, enough to warrant keeping him over Rankins. It’s a lot of DLs but they need more depth and size inside. Plus, they rotate linemen often

LB (5): CJ Mosley – Quincy Williams – Jamien Sherwood – Hamsah Nasirildeen – Marcel Harris
    I think they have two starters set. Wouldn’t rule out a vet though also feel they could opt for fewer 3-LB sets.

CB (6): DJ Reed – Sauce Gardner – Bryce Hall – Brandin Echols – Michael Carter – Javelin Guidry
    Wanted to cut someone else (Hardee is below), but unsure who. Guidry was a close call, but he’s decent depth in and out and plays ST

S (4): Jordan Whitehead – Lamarcus Joyner – Jason Pinnock – Ashtyn Davis
    I’d like to keep Riley, but he’s probably not good enough unless Davis faceplants, but I do think they still like Davis. Hopeful Pinnock is starting eventually

K: Eddy Piniero
    P: Braden Mann
    ST: Justin Hardee
    LS: Thomas Hennessey
    I added Hardee here as he doesn’t play defense. Tempted to cut him but I want to value ST. He needs to reduce penalties this year. Piniero gets the nod over Zuerlein but wish his leg was stronger

Notable cuts:
    Ty Johnson, La’Mical Perine, Denzel Mims, Kenny Yeboah, Lawrence Cager, Connor McDemott, Chuma Edoga, Vinny Curry, Jabari Zuniga, Del’Shawn Phillips, Isaiah Dunn, Elijah Riley, Greg Zuerlein

Some Practice Squad Ideals
    RB Ty Johnson
    WR Denzel Mims
    TE Kenny Yeboah
    TE Lawrence Cager
    OT Connor McDermott
    DT Jonathan Marshall
    CB Isaiah Dunn
    S Elijah Riley

Noam and BrowningNagle like this.
  10. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Just a pick I believe you got rite that most people don't like....Ed Piniero. He doesn't have the strongest leg but last year he hit a 51 & 52 yarder, & made all his FG attempts, I believe 9 & had a PAT blocked. I'll take the accurate kicker from 52 yards or less than a big leg who is not so accurate.

11. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Top of my head- Brady/Bledsoe, Rodgers/Favre, Mahomes/Smith

KingRoach likes this.
  12. twown

twown Well-Known Member

On the subject of the mentor QB, none of us have any idea how important it might be to a random young QB. Obviously no great QB's "needed" a mentor, but that doesn't mean they couldn't have benefited or didn't benefit from one.

At the same time, you can't just install any old grizzled vet as a mentor. It completely depends on the dynamic between the two players. If the two QB's get along great, and the kid ends up learning strong habits and this helps the game slow down, how can you put a price tag on that?

But if they don't click personally, meh. Nothing burger.