Can the Jets TRUST Mekhi Becton in 2022?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PennyandtheJets, Jan 20, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Pretty sure it was 200 lbs in each hand

Noam likes this.
  2. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I can’t believe people are surprised the Jets CS wants to do some light training and evaluating before putting him on the field.

The Jets had been focused on conditioning earlier this off-season, their returning previously injured OT should be no different.

Noam, cval and MoWilkBeast like this.
  3. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

180 lbs of weights plus the bar on each side. That is pretty impressive. That is like carrying one RB in each hand.

4. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

One things for sure he's a big big dude.

Jets want him fit and then some. If they bring in a decent back up tackle in the next week, I think that says where they feel with Becton.

Nice to see he's got some chippyness with the bust talk. Hopefully that frustration translates for us in a positive manner.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

SOJAZ likes this.
  5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

"I am not going to guess his weight, but "svelte" isn't the word that comes to mind." Couple that with fairly recent report that he just got under 400 lbs, and looks like here we go again.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Maybe his stomach, by itself, won't be, but his overall body weight might well be. Still waiting for Becton to prove us doubters wrong.

Cman68, SOJAZ and Borat like this.
  8. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

You're right. It might and it might not.

Either way, June 15th is way too early to make that determination.

KingRoach likes this.
  9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I thought he already had the baby, but looks like he is very much due any minute now.

REVISion, Cman68, rinvesto and 2 others like this.
  10. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Curious to see what Becton's body fat percentage is.

11. ColoradoContrails

I disagree. If he's closer to 400 than 365 at this point, that's very concerning. If he's going to try and play on a surgically repaired knee that was apparently damaged far more than we originally believed, I don't see how that's not a big red flag at this point. The fact that Saleh & Co. are doing everything they can to dance around the weight issue by calling it "taking care of his 'business'", is also very telling. At this point though we're stuck with hoping that he's going to be in good enough shape to play full time and be the impact player we need. I sure hope Douglas has a Plan-B.

#311 ColoradoContrails, Jun 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
  12. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I’m still surprised we waited until round 4 to draft a tackle

I am very much concerned with Becton’s ability to play a full season…he hasn’t done it in two tries and nothing I’m seeing or reading gives me ANY confidence in him now

Nyjets4eva and Borat like this.
  13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

They can tip-toe around Becton's weight all they want.
    The fact that he's on the sidelines during mandatory's says it all about his off-season regimen.

When Mekhi starts taking his career seriously... that's when I'll start.

Zach & Mims showed up to camp in great shape... that shows dedication to team & self.
    Becton shows up overweight and not ready to play... that shows dedication to Twinkies.

REVISion, Jets79, Cman68 and 4 others like this.
  14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

From the press conference. Reporter: "Did Becton show up on the weight you expected him to?" Saleh: "We are not going to get into these details". Take that answer and look at the picture posted above where he is about to give birth any second now, and the real answer is pretty clear, and it is not looking good.

15. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

that ESPN article is all not good news.. "fascinating" how much weight he can gain in just a few days?

the choice of him over WIRFS was, for me, a D at this point... looks like it may well be an F in the near future

SOJAZ likes this.
  16. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Well, if your old like me you'll remember a time in the 90's when half the linemen in the NFL were fat-asses. Bellies over the belt were quite common. It's gotten better league-wide since those days. It's not ideal, but there have been worse cases.

bicketybam likes this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

I might be older than you and do remember that, and also that there are still guys like that now, but the issue I see with him playing at that weight - besides the extra strain on his surgically repaired knee - is the blocking scheme they're using, requiring a lot more mobility.

Jets79 likes this.
  18. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

Why is this still being discussed? it doesnt appear that the organization has concerns...draft, free agent..no urgency. Fans only have disappointment if Becton busts. The staff have their jobs on the line. Becton shows up, looks ok, gets a green light for camp, yet people read entrails to predict the future.

19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I would prefer he be lighter, for durability sake, no doubt, but when football training really starts he will loose a few pounds. But at this point the concerns are legit. He has been away too long to know what’s really goin on with his readiness, and the CS is really walking a fine line with him, not exuding much confidence at this point.

20. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

How is missing 1 season being away too long? This is an offensive lineman. What skills erode from lack of use that a full camp can't overcome? So far all the doom and gloom stuff has BEEN WRONG. He has reported, they say his knee is fine, so everything on track. If something happens during camp, well then we can post all kinds of worrisome comments

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.