Can the Jets DT's Stop the Inside Run?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by joelip, Jun 10, 2022.

1. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

I guess we all can see that the Jets have stocked up on passrushers at DT and now have no true run-stopping DT. Foley didn't fit the current scheme, but he was a good run-stopper. All of PFF's 2021 run grades of our current DT's are in the lowest PFF rank (100-90 Elite, 89-85 Pro Bowler, 84-70 Starter, 69-60 Backup, 59-0 Replaceable):

Quinnen Williams 59.0
    Nathan Shepherd 46.8
    Jonathan Marshall 38.3
    Sheldon Rankins 34.4
    Soloman Thomas 28.0

PFF grades are questionable, but they seem to indicate that our DT's are all bad run defenders.

So what's the solution? Can the scheme be adjusted to make a couple of these guys solid run defenders? For example, Williams has generally been a stout run defender thoughout his career, and there's no reason that he shouldn't be one in the Jets' 2022 DL. It does seems questionable whether any of the other DT's can be schemed into a serviceable run defender. Does this mean that the Jets have no choice but to pick up a run-defending DT before September?

2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

3. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

Well we sucked against the run last year, and that wasn’t addressed as far as personal goes. It’s possible with an improved defensive line that run stuffing improved, as well as having a better secondary so more guys are available to defend against the run, but that may be a next years draft thing.

4. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree that guys like Carl Lawson and Whitmore can help. Also Mosley and other holdovers will be more familiar with the system.

5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it be great if opponents had to abandon the run to catch up on the scoreboard...

James Hasty, Cman68, joelip and 3 others like this.
  6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Well this is problem..

Douglas gets to fire Ulricht if Douglas finds no band aid

7. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

The Titans had one of the best run defenses last year.

The Titans’ IDL has only slightly better PFF numbers when it comes to “Run Defense”.

Where the Titans have significantly better stats in “Run Defense” is their LBs

The DL is going to rush their gaps. The LBs are responsible for the gaps the DLs don’t fill.

It really is the ultimate team sport.

* I do see us picking up an OT, LB, and IDL before the season starts. 1 year stop gap depth pieces.

K'OB, joelip and Jets79 like this.
  8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

This was my main concern last year and they really didn't do anything to fix it. If the Jets get pulverized up the middle all year, that is a black mark for Douglas.

There is still plenty of time to make an impact move, though.

9. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

I did hear on one of the jets podcasts recently that the Jets like Foley but he often went in the wrong gaps assigned on the play.

One of the reasons we didn't extend an offer and let him go, in that his money wasn't worth his production.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

KingRoach and abyzmul like this.